How long to keep loging food.

People who have reached and maintained their goal weight. How long do you keep login foods in MyFitPal? I would think after some time you get used to what amounts of foods have approx what calories and know what you can eat in a day of your regular day to day foods etc.
3-4 months? More? Never stop logging foods?

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited July 2017
    People who have reached and maintained their goal weight. How long do you keep login foods in MyFitPal? I would think after some time you get used to what amounts of foods have approx what calories and know what you can eat in a day of your regular day to day foods etc.
    3-4 months? More? Never stop logging foods?

Depends on the person but when I got to the goal in the past I thought I had a handle on it and started guessing instead of weighing/measuring and gained it all back :neutral:
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I think I will be logging for many years to come to keep me accountable but hoping in time to be able to ditch the scales and no longer weigh everything.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Gaining it all back or gaining a large amount back would mean ignoring the upward trend that is developing right before your eyes and not reacting to it - that's not a food logging issue!
    When I stop being in an active calorie-intake-policing mode, I "eh, that's not too bad" my way back up to my starting weight plus a few extra pounds for company.

Staying vigilant on a daily basis is what I need. It's great that you can look at a more over-arching timeline. I'm going to use an easy and handy tool to stay on top of my weight rather than try to play catch-up after I've lost ground.

It's not a food logging issue, it's that the tool of food logging is a cheap, easy, convenient way to be comfortable that I can stay in control rather than gritting my teeth and hoping that this time will be different. Much less stress to just keep logging.
    @seska422
    Agree - different tools to achieve the same end result of being vigilant.
    I just weigh myself daily and keep a casual eye on any developing trend and start trimming calories when I get too high a weight (skipping breakfast, making lower calorie lunch choices at work, different or less snacks....).

I'm probably a bit unusual in that although my intuitive eating level is a surplus, and always has been, I've maintained the same way most of my adult life. My weight gain was sudden rather than a slow upward drift. Even in my "fat 20 years" I effectively maintained in a narrow range, just at too high a weight.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I just entered maintenance - not planning on giving up the logging at all. We'll see how long I will do this and whether I will do it here. TBH though I actually like logging and having all my data available. I download all my data and have them in a spreadsheet so I track over time as well. Love having that insight
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    I've been on maintenance for a little over 6 months having lost around 9 stone before that. It's been the first time in my whole adult life that I've not only got rid of my excess weight but been able to maintain at a healthy weight.
    In my case certainly, my continued success is down to logging everything that I consume so I always know exactly where I am with my calories going in versus calories going out.
    If you're like me and always struggled with your weight, then I'd recommend continuing to log everything. It keeps you in control.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    I would say that anything less than 12 months is probably too soon. But It could be forever.

in the 4-6 month range, you could probably relax logging(1 package vs 578 grams)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Never for me. I'll take periodic breaks but I always come back. I think it's too easy to convince yourself that extra spoonful won't matter or that second helping isn't going to make a difference until you find yourself back where you started. So for me I will always log. I've been logging for 5 years and have no intention of stopping.