Name your other reason for working out? (beside looking good

Options

Replies

• jaimevondawson
    Options
    You are not alone! I am the same way. We can do this! Good luck and we are all here for you!
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    To prove I can do it, to myself !
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For the rest of my life, I have to keep moving. I need to get into good shape, be flexible, and stay away from being sedentary because my knees are constantly fighting me. If I don't work out for 2 or more days...I can feel it. It's not a bad thing, I want to stay active for life.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    lots of reasons:

Stress relief
    I feel great after a workout (especially a morning workout)
    I see my progress and I am getting stronger and my body is changing.
    I get all nervous and jittery if I don't go to the gym for more that two days in a row.
  • gsnap30
    gsnap30 Posts: 67
    Options
    STRESS relief...... this is the only time I can get away and think of nothing!!!!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I workout for many reasons...

~It's the best thing I can do for my body
    ~More exericse = more lovely wine
    ~I enjoy my CrossFit classmates
    ~It improves my mood
    ~I get excited documenting the changes to my body composition

The bummer is...I really wish I would of started this in my early 30's. I would be a rockstar by now!!!
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    Options
    To prove I can do it, to myself !

ditto. have always had the mindset that i cant do it and i know i was wrong- now i want to show that to myself!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It help with my narcolepsy. I hated taking the medecin since it gave me panic attack. I am still tired all the time but not as bad.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Health!! That is the MAIN reason. Looking good is just a perk.
  • atay18
    atay18 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like getting stronger and being able to do things for myself, like lift my carry-on into the overhead container on airplanes! I also like getting more flexible. The body is capable of doing amazing things, if you only push it to go there.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Actually, to look good is probably much lower down the list for me! I want to FEEL good and I do when I'm working out. It helps me manage my anxiety, keeps my muscles from aching and feeling stiff. I also LOVE to feel strong! The stronger I get, the better I feel! I also do Taekwondo and love it. I can't believe how much I enjoy doing TKD! Other forms of exercise tend to be geared toward making me fitter and stronger for TKD (it's the whole reason I decided to do P90X). But I also enjoy the actual exercise for the most part. I love to go bicycling and weight lifting makes me feel awesome!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I want to be faster than that other guys in my AG so I can crush their hopes and dreams of getting on the podium.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sport/leisure, personal challenge, general health and well being
  • tigerlilly9577
    Options
    Consistently working out lets me sleep better - no more insomnia!
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm going through a particularily messy separation/divorce and working out helps me work through my anger and sadness. The other day I almost stayed in bed all night but my friend got me up and to my kickboxing class....it was the best thing for me!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Can I quote Manu?

"I don't train to win contests.
    I don't train to look pretty.
    I don't train to make friends.
    I don't train to look at some chick's *kitten*.
    I train and train very hard because it's painful, it's uncomfortable, it's demanding. I like that. Time to bleed."

-Manu
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Because I can.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My health. In the last 4 months, my A1c (blood sugar level) has dropped from 8.3 to 5.3 and my triglycerides level has dropped from 361 (not a typo) to 89. When the nurse took my blood pressure she asked me, "is your bp always this low? - low is good!" My answer was ummm, no, it was pretty out of control. reason enough for me. Think I'll go work out!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'll be real here. I workout for a variety of reasons. Some of them for health. Some of them for vanity. Some of them for social benefits.

I play sports like soccer and I fight in the SCA becaus I enjoy physical activity, enjoy physical contact, and enjoy the games.

I run, not because I enjoy it (because I don't really), because it helps burn fat, keep my lungs in aerobic shape for soccer, and raises my endorphin levels.

I lift weights because it makes me look better (vanity), it provides me a boost of strength (male ego thing), and adds a level of fat burning tissue which makes it easier for me to stay thinner.

Last, as you all mentioned, it improves my mood 1000x and is a form of meditation for me.

So basically I workout for vanity reasons, I like how it makes me feel, it keeps me healthy, and it allows me to enjoy social benefits that are harder to achieve when you are out of shape and overweight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Fitness - my fitness goals are just as, if not more important to me than my weight goals. Gotta keep breaking my running time records and get my upper body strength up there so I can do more push-ups and maybe pull-ups someday.

Stress relief - Mon-Fri I work out in the gym here at work for an hour right before lunch. It's a great way to get away from my desk and break up the day. And if something's bugging me, I can vent about it to my gym buddy.

Health - obesity, heart disease and diabetes are all health problems in my gene pool. The first two were the only ones effecting me before I started this but I'm sure if I kept on eating and being sedentary, the sugar issues wouldn't be far behind. Thankfully my high cholesterol and borderline high blood pressure have been taken care of by eating better and staying active. And as of this past Monday, I'm out of the obese range! :)