What am I doing wrong?

Options
Okay, so I've always had weight problems since I was a kid; I could never burn it off no matter what diet/exercise combo I did. Recently I found out that there was a sharp uptake in my cholesterol and hormones, so my doctor put me on Metformin to try to bring down both. My hormones have gone down, sure, but my cholesterol went UP from 253 to 262! My HDL shot up from 54 to 63, Triglycerides went down one point to 145, LDL is unchanged at 170.

For the last two months, I've cut out virtually all meat and dairy; I don't use butter, margarine on oat toast maybe once a week if I'm dying, I take the yellows out of my eggs, I do everything right, so what am I eating wrong?

The positive is my testosterone dropped from an ungodly 73 to a borderline-normal level of 44, so... that's one good thing that came out of this.

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    By doctor, do you mean your general MD? I would **HIGHLY** recommend finding a nutritionist (RD status) with a solid reputation who is open to all sorts of diet styles and not biased towards them. Good ones use the correct ones in the right situations. This will probably be costly and not covered by insurance - but think about the costs in the long run if you don't get things figured out now (medical bills, prescriptions, etc).

There are a ton of podcasts and information I want to throw at you. In most cases it is completely unnecessary to cut out things you've cut out. And replacing them with chemical filled products like margarine do not actually help at all. You can usually fix issues with proper diet prior to adding in the medications that mess with things. However, there are cases out there where medications are needed. But those things need reviewed by a Registered Dietitian who is aware of your full medical history and test results - and since I am not an RD, I'm going to leave it at that.
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    By doctor, do you mean your general MD?
    Yes, I'm just so used to going to a general for everything so I just think of the one as "the doctor" haha.
    This will probably be costly and not covered by insurance - but think about the costs in the long run if you don't get things figured out now (medical bills, prescriptions, etc).
    That's a big problem for me; We can't really afford luxuries like health care (ha, politics) and just getting the bloodwork done put me out almost $500.

There are a ton of podcasts and information I want to throw at you. In most cases it is completely unnecessary to cut out things you've cut out. And replacing them with chemical filled products like margarine do not actually help at all. You can usually fix issues with proper diet prior to adding in the medications that mess with things. However, there are cases out there where medications are needed.
    NOPE NOT MY DECISION. My mom is the one who set up the diet I'm on now, and she's convinced that I **have** to cut down on all that (plus sugar because of course, I'm fat so that must mean I'm borderline diabetic even if the tests prove otherwise). I eat kale, carrots, spinach, etc. every day; usually a mix of that is my dinner. I REALLY don't want to have to go the medication route, I'm only 23 and I know the other medications are taking a toll on my (liver? kidneys? one of those).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    raven3lise wrote: »
    but my cholesterol went UP from 253 to 262! My HDL shot up from 54 to 63, Triglycerides went down one point to 145, LDL is unchanged at 170.

I am not a doctor but to my understanding this is a favorable change. Your total went up but it was all HDL (good cholesterol). LDL remained the same and trigs went down a point. IMO, your cholesterol profile improved. Again, I am not a doc so take it with a grain...

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    NOPE NOT MY DECISION. My mom is the one who set up the diet I'm on now, and she's convinced that I **have** to cut down on all that (plus sugar because of course, I'm fat so that must mean I'm borderline diabetic even if the tests prove otherwise). I eat kale, carrots, spinach, etc. every day; usually a mix of that is my dinner. I REALLY don't want to have to go the medication route, I'm only 23 and I know the other medications are taking a toll on my (liver? kidneys? one of those).
    Of course it's your decision. You're 23.

Then Don't go down the medication route. You mentioned in another thread that you're using Phentermine as well as Metformin.

Get on a healthy balanced diet. Mind your calories for weightloss and your Macros for Satiety and figure out what works...

Until it's your decision and you're doing you, You're not going to be successful in the long term.
  • rachelm920
    rachelm920 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Raven,

I also had high cholesterol, although I am almost 38. When I went for a cholesterol check in January my doctor did not like the numbers. She booked me an appointment with a nutritionist, which has been covered by my insurance company (maybe it's covered if you're referred?). The nutritionist went over my diet and we made changes. Olive oil is your friend, I use Olivio instead of butter or margarine and sub out almond milk in most recipes. You need meat/protein so you should be eating chicken, fish, ground turkey etc. I recommend if you're starting out to working out to give bodyfit by Amy on youtube a try. I cut out *most* dairy like you and followed the beginner workouts from Amy. I went back to the doctor in May and she congratulated me, I gained 40 points in better cholesterol levels. She said "keep doing what you're doing and I'll see you in 6 months." I've since joined a gym, and went back to the nutritionist who has offered assistance in workout techniques to help boost my metabolism since I ranged around 250lbs for a decade. I see both my Dr. and Nutritionist again in October.

BTW I have not been put on a prescription at all, my doctor stated that she thought I was too young for medication, you being 23 this concerns me. I can't stand that doctors hand out medication like candy :(
  • thomascgentle
    thomascgentle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I, like some others, have struggled with cholesterol and not weight but more so love handles and belly fat. I am tall, 6' 1" and am fairly active and at times extremely active with HITT and boot camp workouts. When I used this App and stuck with it and remained committed, I got my weight from 218 to 189 and my cholesterol was 173. Unless you wish to pursue Cool Sculpting at about $4K or Lipsuction ($7K - $9K), it takes absolute commitment and will power. Cool sculpting freezes 20% of the fat cells in the treated area, and then they gradually die. It can be done during lunch time and is non-invasive, a bit of itching and redness which goes away. Results are seen several months later. Once fat cells die, they don't come back; however, you can gain weight in other areas. Liposuction is invasive, expensive, and can remove 6-8 lb of fat in one setting safely. I like to compare fat cells to a balloon. They are there. When you gain fat weight, the balloon is being blown up. When you lose, air is taken out. The balloon will always be there though. Cool sculpting and lipo removes the balloon. Short of those procedures, the key for me in the past was mapping out what I was going to eat, keeping myself away from situations that would tempt me, etc. Like the App says, the more you exercise, the more you can eat. I found myself parking a bit farther away or going up the stairs to the 5th floor vs. elevator. Greatly reduce insulin increasing sugars and drink drink drink and more drink water. Water is a key to losing weight. Reduction of stress helps too. Eliminate breads (except low glycemic sprouted grain) and things that get the insulin creeping upward. I look forward to reading others' responses, receiving inspiration, and providing whatever thoughts that may be helpful. I being my second endeavor as I am now 51 and my metabolic hormone levels have greatly decreased.