XYZPDQ

Options
deckerp
deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
I wanted some feedback on the protocol for telling someone their fly is open.

I was chatting with and older guy in McDonald's and he had just come out of the bathroom. I noticed his fly was open. I didn't want to embarrass him or myself, so I just ignored it. I thought maybe he'd discover it himself later on. Now I barely know this person and only see him once a week or so in McDonald's.

I sort of feel bad I didn't say anything. If I didn't make a big deal out of it then I'm sure he wouldn't even remember it the next time I saw him. Oh well.

When we were kids we'd say, "XYZPDQ." Meaning, "Examine your zipper pretty darn quick", "Your barn door is open", or some other such thing.

What would you do?

Replies

• EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Tricky question! I think I would tell someone I knew relatively well. The key is to be very matter of fact and then change the subject very quickly so they don't get embarrassed. I would prefer someone told me and would be mortified if I'd been walking around all day with my fly open and noone bothered to tell me!!
  • jennyocox
    jennyocox Posts: 143
    Options
    I'd just tell them straight out. They are going to be embarassed either way, better now that discover that it's been down for an hour and they've already spoken to a dozen people before someone said it to them.
  • crazycat828
    Options
    I'd probably do what you did if I did't know the person very well.. if I did know them I would casually whisper that they should check their pants.. when I was a kid, it was "You're flying low!"

If you ever notice my zipper down, please tell me that I need to adjust it.. ha!
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Tricky question! I think I would tell someone I knew relatively well. The key is to be very matter of fact and then change the subject very quickly so they don't get embarrassed. I would prefer someone told me and would be mortified if I'd been walking around all day with my fly open and noone bothered to tell me!!

I concur! Just lean in & quietly whisper in their ear, 'Don't want to embarrass you, but your fly is open' & let it go at that. I have had this happen in the past & that is what I have done; either that or catch their eye & kinda nod your head in the direction of their zipped open fly!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    OK - Stay out of McDonalds :laugh: :tongue: :laugh:

I blurt it right out.

"Dude your flys open"

or

"Hey!! You lettin' willy get some air." (with accompanying finger pointing)
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    "Dude ... zipper's open." Then on with whatever the conversation was about in the first place.

Back in the day, when I was in college, an instructor was wearing navy slacks and a bright pink dress shirt. He had a pretty impressive gut on him, to the point where he wouldn't be able to see his fly by just looking straight down. He must have gone to the men's room just before class ... not only was his fly open, but one of his shirt-tails was sticking out of it. Looked at first glance like his unit was sticking out. None of us said a single word. We were jerks, I think.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I don't get why it's such a big deal. It's a zipper! Whooopty do! I'm never embarassed that I forgot it. I mean, if something is hanging out, then that might be embarassing (or a moment of pride...). But I'm not a guy.

Anyway, if it's a stranger, and if I make eye contact, I'll gently motion/whisper. Then smile nicely and go back to my business. If it's a friend, I'm more upfront and blunt. Like "Dude, you left your zipper open!" And if it's my bf, I'll tease him. ha!
  • dancingphoenix
    Options
    I was in a college classroom and the professor's fly was open and noone said anything... I wrote on the back of the handouts she gave us in big letters: ZIP YOUR ZIPPER! and then I held it up like I was reading it. I was sitting near the front of the class and so, I know she could see it, but noone else could. She did some covert zipper move where she sat down at her desk and looked at the computer while the class discussed something. I didn't even see her do it! LOL but when she stood up, her fly was zipped :) I know it must have been crazy embarrassing especially if everyone in the room was looking at you with ur fly down. LOL
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I wanted some feedback on the protocol for telling someone their fly is open.

I was chatting with and older guy in McDonald's and he had just come out of the bathroom. I noticed his fly was open. I didn't want to embarrass him or myself, so I just ignored it. I thought maybe he'd discover it himself later on. Now I barely know this person and only see him once a week or so in McDonald's.

I sort of feel bad I didn't say anything. If I didn't make a big deal out of it then I'm sure he wouldn't even remember it the next time I saw him. Oh well.

When we were kids we'd say, "XYZPDQ." Meaning, "Examine your zipper pretty darn quick", "Your barn door is open", or some other such thing.

What would you do?

I think I would do the same thing that you did. I'd be too embarrassed to point that out to him. I would just pretend I didn't notice and hope that he realized it quickly and fixed it.
  • crazycat828
    Options
    Great stories James_1954 and DancingPhoenix! haha!