Super Green Protein Breakfast Smoothie

Options
amandarenee31
amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
Yesterday, after my workout, I got a tiny bit creative with my breakfast smoothie since we are out of strawberries. I usually just do a strawberry banana smoothie with protein powder. Well after making this green smoothie, my mom just had to try a sip and loved it. The smoothie filled me up for several hours, gave me a ton of energy even with the temp outside being 101 degrees, and made my stomach feel great versus being all bloated.

Well here's the recipe for the smoothie. My mom made me make her one today and insisted I post it on here haha =)
(These are the following ingredients I used. You can substitute any brand, but note that the calories may vary)

1 Medium banana - frozen or raw (add a couple ice cubes if using raw)
1 Cup Spinach - Raw, rinsed
1/2 Cup Lactaid - lactose free, fat free milk
1 Tbsp Crazy Richard's 100% natural creamy peanut butter
1 Scoop Jillian Michael's natural whey protein - vanilla
5-10 small sprigs of fresh parsley (vary amount to taste), rinsed

Directions:
- Place ingredients (in order as listed) into a blender or food processor and blend until thick and smooth.
- Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts:
Calories - 347
Carbohydrates - 46
Fat - 10
Sodium - 142
Fiber - 9
Protein - 26

Replies

• shesblossoming
    Options
    Awesome recipe. I'm going to get a few of the ingredients today and see how it goes!
  • wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I love spinach and wouldn't have thought about a spinach smoothie. I may try without the peanut butter. I love peanut butter, but not in smoothies. Go figure ! LOL
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do something similar, but I use unsweetened soy milk (or my new fav is coconut water) instead of milk. I also add 1 or 2 tsp of ground flax seed for the healthy fat instead of peanut butter.

Green smoothies are the best! I hope folks are inspired to begin to experiment!
  • mssweetjay
    mssweetjay Posts: 142
    Options
    bump
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    - Place ingredients (in order as listed) into a blender or food processor and blend until thick and smooth.

Does it taste different if you put them in in a different order then?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • amandarenee31
    Options
    I do something similar, but I use unsweetened soy milk (or my new fav is coconut water) instead of milk. I also add 1 or 2 tsp of ground flax seed for the healthy fat instead of peanut butter.

Green smoothies are the best! I hope folks are inspired to begin to experiment!

I hope so too. The peanut butter I use is purely peanuts. No additives, extra sugar or salt. I add the parsley because it's excellent for digestion as well as fresh breath. Coconut water sounds delicious though. I might have to try that.
  • econn
    econn Posts: 157
    Options
    Bump :))
  • amandarenee31
    Options

Does it taste different if you put them in in a different order then?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Haha not at all. It's just harder on the food processor's motor if you don't put the leafy stuff and frozen stuff in first. If you want your motor to last, place in that order. Believe me, I drink smoothies every, single, morning. I've had blenders go because of misuse.
  • amandarenee31
    Options
    So I'm just checking in. Has anyone tried this yet? I'd really like opinions. Let me know if you loved it or not. I'm open to new suggestions to improve it as well.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I have a Green Monster smoothie after every major workout, and I love them... Check out this website for great ideas: http://greenmonstermovement.com/

My fave combination, and Go-To GM is the following:

8oz unsweetened almond milk
    30g whey protein isolate, chocolate
    6g (1Tbsp) unsweetened cocoa powder
    15g (1Tbsp) natural PB
    70g (2 big handfuls?) baby spinach
    140g frozen strawberries
    70g frozen blueberries
    splash of water to help with blending

It's a HUGE smoothie and so filling. The spinach and berries give a great thick consistency. Add only enough water for it to mix. Chcolate, PB, fruit and more chocolate... How could it be bad?
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of these. I like to add carrots, broccoli and mango. (The first two are a staple, the latter is what I use instead of bananas.)
  • stefnicole
    stefnicole Posts: 106
    Options
    bump!
  • joyse
    joyse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of these. I like to add carrots, broccoli and mango. (The first two are a staple, the latter is what I use instead of bananas.)

Oh my! I have to say I am a big fan of green smoothies but I have never ever tried with broccoli. Do you steam, boil the broccoli before you put it in the blender? My blender isn't very powerfull so putting carrots is out of the question : /
  • joyse
    joyse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a Green Monster smoothie after every major workout, and I love them... Check out this website for great ideas: http://greenmonstermovement.com/

My fave combination, and Go-To GM is the following:

8oz unsweetened almond milk
    30g whey protein isolate, chocolate
    6g (1Tbsp) unsweetened cocoa powder
    15g (1Tbsp) natural PB
    70g (2 big handfuls?) baby spinach
    140g frozen strawberries
    70g frozen blueberries
    splash of water to help with blending

It's a HUGE smoothie and so filling. The spinach and berries give a great thick consistency. Add only enough water for it to mix. Chcolate, PB, fruit and more chocolate... How could it be bad?

This site is amazing! Thanks for sharing! :)
    And the smoothie really sounds yummy:)
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    definitely going to try this today!
  • seyran
    seyran Posts: 43
    Options
    I love parsley, it isdiuretic aswell. In my smoothie I use parsley, green apples (they keep me full), cucumber (fresh feeling), mint leaves, lemon , and celery. I drink it as first thing in the morning.
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    bump! Gonna get some of this when I go shopping!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Oh my! I have to say I am a big fan of green smoothies but I have never ever tried with broccoli. Do you steam, boil the broccoli before you put it in the blender? My blender isn't very powerfull so putting carrots is out of the question : /
    Nope, straight up raw broccoli. My blender kinda sucks, so ... things aren't ENTIRELY smooth. There are little bits of carrot that make it through (like a medium grain, I would say), but it doesn't put a damper on the taste of the smoothie. My roommate's girlfriend gave me some blueberries and those have been an excellent addition.

Lately I've been freezing everything I put in it (minus the spinach and milk, of course) and it comes out super thick. No need to add ice. I love them :)