New to this!

Options
Hi everyone,

I've used MFP off and on for a couple years, but never consistently. I just found out that I can post discussions as well, so I thought I would give it a try. I've struggled with losing weight for many years now, and I'm hoping that I can find the motivation to stick with it this time. I've been doing WW since about January, but needed a break from the constant point counting. Calorie counting seems much more doable to me for the time being.

I struggle a lot with depression and anxiety from chronic pain/illness. I got sick about 9 years ago so it's just a part of my life now. Trying to find workouts that my body is capable of doing is what I'm trying to focus on right now, along with tracking my food. So, here goes nothing! :smile:

Replies

• Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Thought about trying macros?
  • cholloway88
    cholloway88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @heytimsla I'm willing to give it a try, just don't know much about it. I've been trying to research it some.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    It's worked for me. It allows you kinda allot your food A lot easier. Check out. iifym.com. I adjust the ration to have about 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. And let the rest of the numbers sort out from there. You can use those as bench marks in mfp.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    I've found that programs like WW or Atkins(Keto) or any of those other eat this not that kind of programs make them unsustainable for long periods of time. Where as this allows you to know how much eat, but doesn't restrict your food choices.
  • cholloway88
    cholloway88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome, i'll check it out. Thanks!
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Feel free to message me if to have any questions or need some other sources.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I was very much like you. Had success on WWs, but got tired of paying for it. Had dabbled on MFP over the past two years and decided on 1/1/17 that I was going to get serious. Since then, I've logged every day. I love tracking calories and the database with MFP is fantastic...way more comprehensive than WWs. WWs had already taught me how to eat...this just lets me track better, and without specific foods like breads and sweets being penalized. I've exercised regularly....yoga twice a week, walking whenever, Pilates once a week. I've lost 15 lbs, but even better than the number, I've really toned up. It takes a few weeks to make it a habit, but once you do, you'll be hooked! I've never felt better. GOOD LUCK!
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @heytimsla I'm willing to give it a try, just don't know much about it. I've been trying to research it some.

Think of your calories like a filing cabinet and your macros like the drawers. You have a drawer for protein, a drawer for fat, and a drawer for carbs. Your job is to fill those ups, but each drawer can only hold so much and the whole cabinet can only fit so much. Some times you may put some carbs in the protien drawer or the fat drawer, but you never want to go over your total cabinet (allowence). I always go off percentagea inatead of grams unless bulking.

Yes it is true, calories first. But macros is a giideline to make sure you are eating the right calories which will help uou maintain fat loss.

Without macros, you could eat 8 donuts a day and be at 1600 calories. If this creates a deficit, you will lose weight but it isnt going to allow you to maintain when you start eating regular again. Plus it would be really unhealthy and will cause a lot of health problems.