How to keep yourself from eating that cookie?

Options
ricechyenne
ricechyenne Posts: 1 Member
How do you guys maintain not giving in to eating junk food? What is everyone's secret for only eating the calories you are aloud every day?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In the context of my diet as a whole, having a cookie isn't really a big deal. I have my treats in moderation...I eat cookies, I just don't eat all of the cookies all of the time...

Personally, I don't think most people have much long term success with full on abstinence from "junk" food.
  • More2Life17
    More2Life17 Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You're perfectly able to eat "junk food" while still cutting fat. You're total calories are the be all and end all in regards to weight loss, not any particular piece of junk food item. That being said, that doesn't mean you can eat donuts, cakes and protein shakes all day and expect to be a beacon of health. You still wanna get adequate micro nutrients from your food. I use a 80/20 split. 80% is geared towards whole nutritious food. Some people call it "clean" food -whatever that means. And 20% of my daily calories is designated for any food under the sun I desire. Anything.

The bottom line is, food is food. No bad food or good food. Some just make you feel better than others do. Eat that cookie.

Edit: To add, abstaining from any food group is very likely to cause an eating disorder. Particularly binge eating. How long do you think you can deny yourself these delectable junk food items? It's more likely that you hold off for a week or two then binge on 3000 cals worth when you would've been better off eating 200 or so calories of cookies a day.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Every day is different. Some days I eat the cookie because I worked out longer that day. Some days I split the cookie because I only have some calories left. Some days I don't eat the cookie. Remain flexible but consistent.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    By developing better relationship with food and not demonizing particular foods because "fitness trends" tell you they are evil.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat the cookie, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I eat TWO cookies. If it fits my macros and I want it, I'll eat it. Sometimes (ok, this one time, and I'm still proud of it) a bite is enough. It's all about finding a balance you can live with.
  • More2Life17
    More2Life17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Every day is different. Some days I eat the cookie because I worked out longer that day. Some days I split the cookie because I only have some calories left. Some days I don't eat the cookie. Remain flexible but consistent.

Flexible but consistent. I like that.
  • joelartygreenwood
    joelartygreenwood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the cookie.

If it's not in the house, it's harder to be tempted by the cookie.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    There are occasions where I can eat one cookie and not find myself wanting 10 more, but for me, I have to be aware that increased desire rather than satisfaction is a possibility, and be ready to handle that. If that doesn't happen to you, I'd agree with everyone else, go ahead and have the cookie. NBD. Cookies in quantity are going to affect your ability to feel full with your allotted calories, and perhaps interfere with your nutritional goals, but one cookie does no harm at all.

Generally I choose treats that don't trigger that reaction in me. Fibre One bars work fine, a couple pieces of dark chocolate, a sweet protein bar, sugar in my tea/coffee, a banana, a sweetened yogurt etc.

As to how to keep myself from eating that cookie, my best bet is to keep it out of sight. The basement freezer is a good place to keep my treats. Or in a wicker basket on the top shelf of my pantry.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've eaten 3 reeses peanut butter cups today... they fit in my calories and macros.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

^This. Plus I have grown much pickier about my baked goods if I am going to use my calories on something so calorically dense.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Like a lot of folks said here, changing your mindset about cookies being special will help you not feel like you're missing out.

Practically, here are things I do that help me either prevent cravings or distract from them.
    1.) Eat enough. (If you're craving cookies all the time and you find yourself bingeing on them, maybe your deficit is too much and you should add a little more good stuff)
    2.) Fill up on protein, veggies, etc. You can be satiated and still lose weight.
    3.) Drink lots of water. Drink coffee (black; caffeine helps with hunger). Drink sparkling water.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I eat a sensible varied diet that occasionally includes a cookie.