What to eat on a Football Sunday?

Options
So, football season is here! I am so excited to watch my teams play. Now, What are your favorite snacks for Football Sunday? I want to feel like I can eat like everyone else BUT with healthier options...and GO!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I only watch a handful of games per season anymore so I pretty much just do whatever I want...usually I do wings on the grill.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Always have a "crudite" platter (cut up veggies) available. Find lower calorie dips you can eat with reckless abandon. Daisy light sour cream is useful. Marinated veggies are good, too. Popcorn with lots of herbs, spices, etc. Wraps instead of sub sandwiches.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't snack during football games. I'll eat lunch around halftime (which is about the same time I eat it other days) but that's it.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I don't snack during football games. I'll eat lunch around halftime (which is about the same time I eat it other days) but that's it.

Same. I love football and watch probably way too many games, but I only eat during them if it's a time I'd normally eat. IMHO, snacking is just a habit and not necessary.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Chili! So many options there...

I also like to bake sweet potato wedges and use them as a base for nachos. Top with taco meat or seasoned shredded chicken (or chili!) and some sauteed veggies and a small amount of cheese. Eat with salsa and Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Satisfies the nacho craving and is much more filling, IMO.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you could think of making healthier versions of potato skins or baked samosas filled with veggies.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Typically I like pizza and boneless wings because you can't get a decent chicken wing around here. If I forgo pizza because I don't want to do that every Sunday - you know moderation, I have popcorn.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

Same. I love football and watch probably way too many games, but I only eat during them if it's a time I'd normally eat. IMHO, snacking is just a habit and not necessary.

This.
  • shampbj
    shampbj Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try to think of balance and think of your tailgating replacing a balanced meal--if you're having pigs in a blanket, balance it out with some stuff from the fruit and veggie tray.

One trick is to make mini versions of things: instead of using hot dogs and loads of pastry for pigs in a blanket, use cocktail sausages and slice the dough triangles smaller so there's less per item but you get the same flavor.

One of my go-to recipes for parties is Mini Twice-baked potatoes using those small yellow dutch potatoes-- you get a loaded potato bite at only about 30-40 calories for two halves.

You can do something similar to this http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/tiny-twice-baked-potatoes using light sour cream and reduced fat cheese. I also use bacon bits (the real kind--not dried up crumbs) to save the extra step of cooking the bacon.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned pizza, I've made pizza on tortillas before. You can add chicken instead of pepperonis and light cheese and tomato sauce. Or just veggies and cheese. It cuts the calories A LOT
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    deviled or pickled eggs, crab salad on endive (or turkey salad, chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, etc.), stuffed mushrooms, baked chicken fingers, eggs cups (mini fritatas baked in muffin pan), chips & salsa or guacamole, hummus, homemade pizza, smoked oysters, shrimp w cocktail sauce, tacos or taco dip, ...
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Beer
  • npane
    npane Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Shrimp cocktail,deviled eggs, turkey chili
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Oven baked floured skinless chicken thigh strips tossed with Frank's wing sauce. All day.