Gym/Fitness Classes Membership - Beginner Advice

Belasta
Belasta Posts: 12 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,
I've just joined my local gym after going on my honeymoon and feeling like a whale.

Sadly I am 8st overweight and I wish to lose 4st by the start of next year.
MFP has put me on a 1600 allowance and I try to complete 10k steps daily since my desk job isn't very active .

Active Age
Aerobics
Body Attack
Body Balance
Body combat
Body pump
Circuits
Cyclefit
Grit
Insanity
Kettle bells
Legs bum and tum
Metafit
Multisports
Pilates
Yoga
Zumba

I have participated in my first zumba class which I have done in the past but my membership Inc gym and swimming but also includes many different classes.

Can anyone suggest some to look into as a beginner (with no physical issues like back or legs) to try out without being too extreme for a not very fit person like me...

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    How'd you like the Zumba class? I find that to be a lot of fun. Maybe you could do that three times a week, and a couple other days try yoga. I found it to be challenging at first, but as time went on I felt stronger and my balance improved. Ask at the front desk which class is for beginners and give it a try.
  • ManOfSteel49
    ManOfSteel49 Posts: 2 Member
    I would suggest talking to the instructor of the classes that sound interesting to you. Most will be able to tell you exactly what the intensity will be and if movements can be adjusted or pace can be adjusted for a beginner.
    Every gym is different and classes will also be different so the instructors there will be the most helpful.

But if you don't want to ask them I would suggest spinning, TRX, any cardio based class, or HIIT. you can always slow it down until you get used to the class.

Hope this helps
  • Belasta
    I've always loved Zumba and enjoyed the class tonight - sadly there is only 1 night class which is a bit of a bummer.

I tried to ask about what they might suggest for someone like me but sadly I was told to try a class and see - I'd hate to pick something and it's beyond my level.

I'll look out the cardio classes and see if any of these might be on my level.
  • ManOfSteel49
    ManOfSteel49 Posts: 2 Member
    Most of the classes I've been to, the instructor gives options for new people if they aren't at the level of the rest of the class. They want as many people there as possible.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Those are mostly Les mills classes, I think.

At my Les Mills gym, there was a timetable which had the classes colour-coded to show default intensity.

In the absence of that, I suggest you go to the Les Mills site, and look at the class descriptions and videos to get an idea. https://www.lesmills.com/uk/workouts/group-fitness/bodybalance/

What about the cycling? I think stationary cycling is a good introductory activity, because it's not high impact and if you're having to take a break on your first class, or going slower than anyone else, no-one else will be able to tell, so no embarrassment or awkwardness.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,475 Member
    That's an impressive list of classes! I'd start with Bodybalance. It's a Les Mills class which is a mix of Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates to music. It's sold to women as a holistic fitness class emphasising stretching and flexibility, but the exact same class could be sold to men as a body weight class emphasising core strength. As the saying goes...power is nothing without control...
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    See if you can try a few if not all for a session or 2. You are the one that needs to like what you are doing. It's much better to do something you like so you can stick with it for a long time.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    It sounds like since they didn't warn you at the gym that some weren't for beginners you are good to go to try any of them and be fine. I agree with those that say try them all and see what you like the most.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    I would try as many of them as you can and see which ones you like. The instructor will (hopefully) notice you are new and will give you advice on modifications, if they don't notice then introduce yourself! My personal recommendation is Bodypump as it uses light weights and is a great way to learn some really useful exercises such as squats, deadlifts, snatches etc... All things I was too shy to ask for help with on a one to one basis but learnt in this class :smiley:
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    I like Body Pump. I started it a month ago; I was not in shape, and it's been fine. I was VERY sore after my first class (I needed 3 days off) but I was able to complete it, to follow it, etc. Do your first day, maybe even week, with the lightest weights on your bar, all the way through. Use no weight if you need. It's a lot of reps, and you'll adjust in no time, so don't worry if you feel you need to put the weight down. Talk to the instructor ahead of time if you like, or at least put up your hand when they ask if anyone is new, because they'll check on you more throughout and make sure to voice modifications. For setup, it's really easy just to copy what other people are doing.

But I agree with others -- do not be afraid to try out different classes and see what you like!
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    edited August 2017
    You're going to see people of all shapes, sizes and ability levels in each of these classes. Most instructors will ask if it's your first time and will give advice/suggestions/modifications as needed. I would agree with the cycle suggestion - you can turn your resistance level up or down and no one will know but you. I also agree with Body Pump - it's a great place to get started learning to use weights. Start light.

I don't agree with starting with HIIT (Grit). That's a brutal workout for an experienced person...not sure it's the best place to start for a beginner.
  • Belasta
    Thanks so much everyone,
    I think I'm going to go with your suggestions - I'll try bodypump with my Zumba this week and then see if I can corner one of the other instructors in the other classes to see if they can suggest if I might be able to try more.

Thanks all
  • maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    I take Body Pump and help new people all the time. For best results, go early and tell the instructor you are new. Stay in the front row so they can advise you from nearby. Most people should start with a medium weight, and no increases at all in the first class. You can go a second day and go as heavy as you like - it is zillions of reps and a 50 minute class takes a LONG time. If you are exhausted in the first track, your form will be bad the rest of the songs! Put the weight down and just use body weight if necessary. And don't ever worry about those around you with heavy weights - they may have done this for YEARS!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    If you are a relative beginner, Insanity can be brutal, but wow it works! But, why not pick 10 or so, and try them throughout a two week period until you find one or even two that you really like.