Lifting advice

Options
I'm new to lifting and was hoping to get some input. I've lost nearly 30 lbs with another 20ish to go. A month ago I started going to the gym regularly and I'm following this routine: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

Except I modified it a bit. Frankly the squat rack was and bench press were too intimidating and I replaced them with leg press and a bench press machines. My plan was to do that for a month to build some basic strength and get the lay of the land at the gym, and then hire a trainer to make sure I know what I'm doing when switching to squatting and actual bench pressing.

Now I'm wondering if it's the right time as I'm still in a decent deficit and will be for a few more months. I average about a pound to a pound a half a week. Do you guys think it's worth competing for time at the squat rack (there's only one at my gym) now? Or am I better off getting some more fat off first while doing the machines? I know they don't use the stabilizer muscles but it targets big muscle groups, is that good enough until I can eat a slight surplus and start building muscle?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think I would change out at least the bench press machine for dumbbells. It allows for use of the muscles in a similar manner with the bonus of it being safe and you can easily scale the weight.

There are a wide variety of squat variations that don't necessarily use a barbell, maybe you'd be more comfortable with one of them for now. Some examples are the suitcase squat, goblet squat, pistol squat, and a few variations of split squat.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Oh my oh my get on that squat rack!!

You'll find that squats are fantastic for everything. Do squats and your posture is improved, you lose back pain while sitting at your desk. Your abs grow. I can't say how much I'd encourage you to get in there :)
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    Well success :)
    It's a beautiful Sat afternoon here and I figured the gym might not be too busy to give this squat rack a shot after watching a bunch of videos. And sure enough barely a soul in the gym. Successfully did three sets in the squat rack with just the bar though. But I feel kind of empowered and I think I can make this work. Yay.

Next week the bench press! Lol

Lol. It empowers me too. Keep at it
  • avietvet
    avietvet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello me0321, Leg presses and machines do not train muscles in the same way as squatting or bench pressing do. Without getting into a whole big thing, my recommendation would be to start using the squat rack and bench press, along with starting to dead lift. You need not start very heavy- just start. The 3 basic exercises i mentioned recruit many more muscles than do any machine. Stay in touch. Stefano--avietvet.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Well success :)
    It's a beautiful Sat afternoon here and I figured the gym might not be too busy to give this squat rack a shot after watching a bunch of videos. And sure enough barely a soul in the gym. Successfully did three sets in the squat rack with just the bar though. But I feel kind of empowered and I think I can make this work. Yay.

Next week the bench press! Lol

Oh yeeeeeah!!! Perfect, just the bar. Absolutely perfect. 5 or 10 lbs next week. Slow and steady.

Well done.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I used to be terrified of the squat rack!!! Now it's my love. First thing, start with dumbell squats because: that Olympic bar weighs 65lbs. Once you can comfortably squat with 40lbs in each hand, hit the squat rack. Start out with just the bar and go up gradually. Also, spend $10 and buy yourself some bands, the ones that go around your knees. Warming up with them (look up squat warm-up videos) looks funny, but your knees and ankles will thank you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The bar usually weight 45lb, 44 if its a 20kg...
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Getting a trainer was the best decision I ever made. I feel less intimidated because I know what I'm doing and my form is good.
  • JimmyCarterI2T
    JimmyCarterI2T Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting and was hoping to get some input. I've lost nearly 30 lbs with another 20ish to go. A month ago I started going to the gym regularly and I'm following this routine: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

Except I modified it a bit. Frankly the squat rack was and bench press were too intimidating and I replaced them with leg press and a bench press machines. My plan was to do that for a month to build some basic strength and get the lay of the land at the gym, and then hire a trainer to make sure I know what I'm doing when switching to squatting and actual bench pressing.

Now I'm wondering if it's the right time as I'm still in a decent deficit and will be for a few more months. I average about a pound to a pound a half a week. Do you guys think it's worth competing for time at the squat rack (there's only one at my gym) now? Or am I better off getting some more fat off first while doing the machines? I know they don't use the stabilizer muscles but it targets big muscle groups, is that good enough until I can eat a slight surplus and start building muscle?

you pay for the gym like everyone else.. you have every right to it! just make sure youre courteous to others and dont take 30 mins on it!