Holy salt intake!

Options
Okay, I've been tracking for a few days and doing okay staying within my calories, but I never realized how much sodium is in everything! I go over by a lot almost every day. My questions are:

1) Do people focus much on sodium intake? I know it can cause bloating and can be bad for kidneys and such, but I have no kidney problems and one of my medications has a diuretic in it.

2) Any suggestions on swaps or low sodium foods? I always seem to struggle with lunches the most.

Replies

• jwidd220
    jwidd220 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I was wondering the same. Today I ended up like 3,000 mg over!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How much do you go over? I shoot for about 3500 due to my heavy lifting and usually come up short.

My breakfast is usually plain greek yogurt with protein powder and berries mixed in - low sodium
    Lunch is usually grilled chicken breast- either in a salad or a wrap
    Dinner is whatever.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have a history of hypertension and just really started watching it a few weeks ago.

I think as long as your healthy I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's very hard to avoid. Basically you can't eat out anywhere and can't eat pre-packaged food. Things like sandwich meat, sausage are horrible. Chips, salsa, ketchup, not great. Frozen meals and/or pizzas = horrible.
  • cholloway88
    cholloway88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 Mine says my daily goal is 2300, and I'm usually over by 1000 or so. A few things I should have mentioned are that I'm lactose intolerant and I struggle with chronic pain so my workouts are limited to walking and swimming for the time being.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 Mine says my daily goal is 2300, and I'm usually over by 1000 or so. A few things I should have mentioned are that I'm lactose intolerant and I struggle with chronic pain so my workouts are limited to walking and swimming for the time being.

Unless you have medical issues, I don't think it's a problem.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and am talking from my own personal experience. ;)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I never even look a sodium. My blood pressure is great and I'm strong like bull.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you don't have hypertension, you should be fine.

I aim for 3,000 mg because studies have shown that below 3,000 mg is bad for the normal population. However, I rarely make that goal, and usually end up with 1,500 mg or so. I might have to just start eating salt.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The recommendations are for healthy people, to avoid future hypertension etc.

Don't wait until you're sick to pay attention to preventative measures.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've always had my sodium limit set to the lowest RDA recommendation of 1,500 just to see how hard it was to do but the RDA for a healthy person is 2,500. I'm plant based and I don't add any additional salt to my food, lowered my processed food intake during the week and find that it's very easy to stay around 1,500. However, whenever the weekend comes and I go out to eat, I never worry about it but just don't add additional salt to anything.

I think going over sometimes is Ok but going over consistently raises blood pressure, causes water retention, and puts unhealthy individuals at risk of heart attacks, strokes, kidney disease, etc.

I'm sure it's not good for healthy people in the long run so I changed my habits and started replacing all my condiments with salt free or low sodium options, reduced processed foods and stopped adding salt to everything.

Just a good habit to start doing that will become natural! I don't miss it! I go out to restaurants and push that salt shaker away! :smile:
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't track any added sodium, just what's already in my foods. And I'm usually around the 3500 zone. That said, I also add salt to most everything, per doctors orders as I'm hypotensive (low blood pressure). I would say, the added salt probably puts me around 5000-6000.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Common foods with a lot of salt in it are bread, cheese, sauces on restaurant entrees and dressings on salads, frozen chicken, including those you buy at the grocery and those you buy at the restaurant, and processed meat. If you are consuming canned vegetables, many of those also have a lot of added salt, but there are many canned vegetables that do not have added salt.

I do not display sodium in my food diary, preferring to track potassium instead. When I check up on the sodium, it tends to just indicate when I've had restaurant meals with a spike up.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to eat lots of salt because of low blood pressure. I have to eat about 3500mg sodium a day. I don't measure mine but just try to eat as much as possible (i.e. as much as food is still tasty).
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Out of curiosity, I just averaged out my sodium for the last 30 days and came to just under 2200, not including added salt in cooking. Wiki tells me that 2300mg is ~1tsp, and I'm pretty confident that I add about 1/2 tsp salt during cooking (I prepare most of my meals at home), so that would bring my sodium up to nearly 3300. Other than when I was obese or sick, I've always been on the lower end of a healthy blood pressure (it was 102/67 at my last PCM visit), so from personal experience, I think going over by 1k or so on some days isn't that big of a deal. I do notice more water retention after super high sodium days, but on the whole I think you're probably okay if your other health markers are fine. If you're worried, just make a note to ask your doctor about it the next time you go in.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Being Asian, my intake is usually over 4,000 a day (not uncommon amongst Asians). I'm sure with all the liquids I drink, a lot of it gets peed out.
    But I've NEVER had any high blood pressure or hypertension issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What are you eating that pushes you so far over? Identify these things and swap them out for lower sodium foods.

The usual culprits for me are:

Bread
    Bacon
    Cottage Cheese
    Take away (out)