Beer Loggers

Options
Any of you out there log your beer intake? Back when I was super fit a few years ago (starting all over) I used to log them and it kept in check. Ya, some days I spent at the bar and only ate a little that day :D It's funny cause all my stuff is still saved in the food journal and when I type beer "Tall Boys" comes up hahahaha

Anyway, I am not giving it up but am cutting back of course.

Let me hear your success stories :)

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Funny enough I was never much of a beer drinker until I started tracking my calories. I became quite the alcohol snob and discovered that really good craft beer is a lot less expensive than really good whiskey/bourbon/scotch.

To answer your question yes I absolutely log my beer calories. They count the same as any other calories.

I enjoy seeing how much beer I can drink and still make it fit my calories.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Beer and wine logger here - and I tend to figure out how to drink 1 per day and still keep my calories around 1400.

On the weeks that I know I'll be drinking more at one time (aka vacation, I have one coming up where we tend to drink wine 24/7), I'll go easy the week before and bank some calories.

I only weigh every 2 weeks because the number on the scale doesn't matter to me as long as my size 6's fit (and they don't now, which is why I'm here!).
  • hartsons
    hartsons Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged beer but now that you mention it, I should start. I log everything else.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I log all alcohol, including beer. Beer is pretty high calorie and I personally couldn't be successful if I didn't account for the calories in it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I always use the following, which has served me well:

kcal = 2.5 * abv (%) * vol (fluid oz)

So for example, a 12 ounce pour of a 7% IPA would be 2.5*7*12=210 kcal.

I always log my craft beer calories and make sure I budget for them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

This is so helpful -- I sometimes struggle with how to accurately log craft beer and I am going to start using this method.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

This is so helpful -- I sometimes struggle with how to accurately log craft beer and I am going to start using this method.

Glad it's helpful, @janejellyroll. I based it off of this article:
    http://www.beeroftomorrow.com/calories-in-craft-beer/

It's not perfect, to be sure: dryer beers will have lower calorie counts relative to abv, while less-attenuated, fuller-bodied beers will have higher calories. I figure the uncertainty all works out if you drink enough!
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @Jruzer Great Info!! Thank you!!

I am actually looking forward to budgeting for my beer days :D:D

The guilt just washes away when I add it to my journal Ha-Ha
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Yep, log all alcohol intake, whether beers, glass of red wine, mixed drinks or straight up bourbon or scotch.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I log all my booze.
    Thanks for the formula, @Jruzer. That will be very helpful.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yesss! Pretty sure alll the beers and other alcohol is what made me put on the weight in the first place... generally speaking 3 beers a night is about 450 calories more or less.. that and the choccy and ice cream.
    It really makes you realise how easy it is to put on weight... if you want a shock look up the calories in kahlua and baileys!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    When I drink it's either beer, wine or vodka, and yes I log it. And the Taco Bell that often follows.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Dont know where your from but i try to stick to low calorie beers. In australia i like pure blondes about 105 calories.
    Have a google and find a beer you like that will hurt less.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @nowine4me Haha I love Taco Bell!!

@sophie9492015 I'm from Los Angeles. Definitely a Blonde Beer Girl. I usually drink Bud Light but I think I will try Corona Lights cause it saves a few calories which adds up in one sitting. We have a ton of craft beer breweries that have popped up over here. Fun!
  • sophie9492015
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @goalpeace
    I rekon got some really nice brewerys popping up near me too... but its hard to find the calorie content. I guess you could estimate.
    I dont know the calories in bud light but should be alright as its light, hopefully.
    Coronas are not my style. Think you could do better than that ;P
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

i use the abv formula as well for craft beers. otherwise it's just a shot in the dark. happily, the double ipa at my local brewery is usually in my "recent" items and 6.3% was already in the database.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Log everything I eat and drink.

Limit myself to 1-2 beers (or 1-2 glasses of wine) a day ONCE a week at most because it messes up my daily macro and cal count with excess cals from empty carbs and I often have to do extra cardio (about 15 mins per glass) so that I can eat more to up my protein intake for the day.

So I intentionally limit how much I drink now.
    Use to drink 4-6 (yes, 6,) cans of beer a day and I got fat (twice) quick doing that and I have no intention of doing THAT again.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I do not log it, but I don't eat enough to where any I do drink is going to be a problem. Abd I don't drink often