Time To Change Breakfast..... (Nervous)

Options
Hi guys

Firstly congratulations on your decisions to get fitter xx

I've been on Tesco Ultra Slim for a little over 5 weeks now, breakfast has usually come in at 350kcal, with a shake and a probiotic drink (and my usual cuppa...)

I don't actually want to to stay on these shakes as I've heard that much after 4 weeks is bad for you... although losing the weight is a buzz!

Therefore, changed over breakfast this morning, to 30g bran flakes, 30g sultanas and a banana (plus cuppa and pro drink).

This came in at 440kcal....

Could any experienced weight loser tell me how this is likely to impact on my loss? I didn't lose anything last week, but dropped a further inch from my waist (that confuses me too...)

Thank you!

Sarah xx

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    The theory is that with a calorie deficit of 3500 calories a week you will lose a pound of weight a week... So if you are eating 90 calories a day more = 630 calories extra a week - so potentially you will lose a 5th of a pound less a week....

What I would look at is if you are already eating all your calories how you can adjust the rest of your day to compensate for the extra 100 calories you are eating at breakfast....
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You need to add more fat to your breakfast and limit the sugar. Cereals are often high in hidden sugars, so check the box.

My breakfasts usually contain a 2 egg omelette or one slice of toast with a quarter of avocado and tomato or unsweetened oats with water and a little milk and cinnamon or fruit salad with yoghurt or half banana with milk, LSA, agave (honey substitute) and cinnamon. About 2-3 hours after breaky, I then have a snack. Check out my food diary if you need some more ideas =)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest changes was to move away from cereal and toast for breakfast. I now have eggs, yoghurt and nuts, porridge, or fish/ham some sort of meat. Maybe one slice of toast a couple of times a week with peanut butter or avocado. Protein is very important at breakfast time, especially in keeping you feeling full.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I now have porridge every morning followed by a hard boiled egg. It's very filling and yummy, even in summer. You can check out my food diary too if you want!

Alot of processed cereals have sugar in them and are not that good for you. Try to eat something that had been processed only a little (jumbo oats are great) and fill you longer.

best of luck:wink:
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest changes was to move away from cereal and toast for breakfast. I now have eggs, yoghurt and nuts, porridge, or fish/ham some sort of meat. Maybe one slice of toast a couple of times a week with peanut butter or avocado. Protein is very important at breakfast time, especially in keeping you feeling full.

I would agree on the protein. This helps to build muscle which in turn helps to burn more fat. One of the biggest issues with dieting is that we lose fat and muscle so it is important to do strength exercises and eat plently of protein.
  • Princessa1982
    Options
    I would go for Fiber 1 Original Cereal, it is LOADED with fiber but no sugar as bran flakes are loaded with sugars! Banana is also full of sugar, but good for you, so I have 1 a day, some people stick to half but I go for the whole one on workout days! Rasins are also chalk FULL of sugar, I try to limit to 1 fruit piece a meal, so if you are already having a banana.... Protein is so important in the morning, I will go for half a cup of fiber 1 cereal (100 cal) 1 cup of soy milk unsweetened (30cal), 3 boiled eggs (but only eat 1 yolk about 100 cal) and banana (100 ish cals for a 7imch) Thats roughly 350 ish, 19g pr protein, only 16 of sugar (14 of which come from the banana) I am full till my mid morning snack. If i do not do the cereal i will do a protein shake with oatmeal and berries or what not!

Switch it up, my opinion and understanding is that it is good for your body to eat a variety of different foods so it does not get a chance to get used to the same stuff over and over again!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    cereal is ok on the odd day... but try to mix it up... always try to include protein

whole grain toast with scrambled eggs (no butter), salmon, or low-fat cream chese - or even peanut butter (protein)

sometimes I also have baked beans (fibre), scrambled eggs & toast (approx. 440 cals), but much more filling than cereal
  • divasaint
    divasaint Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you everyone :D xx