Tips and advice for succeeding on Weight Watchers?

Options
Who has done it/ what do you wish you had known when you started?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've done it. The latest plan is too restrictive - unless you like eating nothing but chicken and veggies. The older plans were so much better.
  • halmsafit
    halmsafit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the original weight watchers (with the slider) and I have been doing it for about a week and a half!
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I stopped once they phased out the first version of Points Plus. Gained everything I lost back and then some.
  • mel2382016
    mel2382016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love weight watchers. I've been on it 4 years and lost 106 pounds. My advice. Track everything you eat, no matter if you go over points or not. Use your weeklies because as you lose weight you need to decrease calories. It is a marathon not a sprint so don't quit. You fall off, get up and try again. It's not a perfect program. It does need some tweaks. Hence why I am here for my last 15 pounds to goal. If you are a a person who needs accountability and support then WW is a great program. Best!
  • Wpoloway1
    Wpoloway1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing WW now and LOVE IT!! The meetings are what make it for me. The points system is just a form of calorie counting, which it what MyFitnessPal does. The support system is invaluable to me. I lost 50 pounds counting calories with the MyFitnessPal app (then gained it back....my fault, no one else's). I have been on WW for 2.5 months and have lost a respectable 25 pounds. My advice if you want to try WW is to attend the meetings! Otherwise, if you just want an online app, do MyFitnessPal cuz it's free.
  • FatAFNoMore
    FatAFNoMore Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did it a long long time ago. My main takeaway was accountability. I never logged before. The rest? Meh. The points thing was not for me, I like tracking real calories and macros here not 'points'. The meetings were kinda okay but then it basically was a bunch of fat people like me talking about being fat and how they structured their points It seemed like most folks were trading ideas on how to manipulate the system which would be so counter productive. And the public weigh is not needed. Maybe that changed (you step on the scale and the lady writes it down for you verifying what it was). I see no reason why the scale can't be connected to a tablet that you then click to verify the weight. No need for the workers there to see everyone's weight. But like I said, if you're new to accountability and logging it did help me with that. I think this site is really all that is needed as you'll see all your macros and that will help guide you to the right decisions.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while and had great success with it. When they switched to smart points I found it incredibly restrictive and I agree that they demonise certain foods. I am a vegan and found that because I don't eat chicken and fish I struggled to stay within my points whilst getting adequate nutrition.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Does WW still consider fruits and veggies as calorie free?

At first I thought that the WW point assignments were based only on calorie totals but one day I gave my MIL a breakfast bar to eat because we were running out and she wanted something she could eat quickly. It was only 200 calories and was a great source of proteins, carbs, and fat - in other words, a reasonable breakfast regardless of one's calorie targets.

After she looked it up in WW, she couldn't eat it because WW assigned it a ton of points and it would totally screw up the rest of her planned meals for the day. That's when my opinion of WW totally went down hill. It seems like they want their members to believe that there's some sort of voodoo involved with the point assignments, so they decrease the transparency and make judgment calls about certain foods that can really screw with their clients' ability to comply with the program.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

At first I thought that the WW point assignments were based only on calorie totals but one day I gave my MIL a breakfast bar to eat because we were running out and she wanted something she could eat quickly. It was only 200 calories and was a great source of proteins, carbs, and fat - in other words, a reasonable breakfast regardless of one's calorie targets.

After she looked it up in WW, she couldn't eat it because WW assigned it a ton of points and it would totally screw up the rest of her planned meals for the day. That's when my opinion of WW totally went down hill. It seems like they want their members to believe that there's some sort of voodoo involved with the point assignments, so they decrease the transparency and make judgment calls about certain foods that can really screw with their clients' ability to comply with the program.

And yet, if she had eaten 2 bananas, 1 c strawberries and 1 c mango, it would have been 0 points and far more calories.

You're better off just counting calories. I can understand if you want to attend meetings for the support aspect but I wouldn't follow their food plans.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about above. The current iteration of WW penalises you for foods it deems "unhealthy" and basically forces you to have a very low calorie day to atone for it, which is so wrong on so many levels.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    On a smart points allowance of 25 (calculated for a 185lb woman of 5'4, sedentary to lose 2lbs a week), that donut is 44% of your smart points for the day

No one gets less than 30 smart points per day, and then they have their additional weekly points (which vary depending on weight, age, sex, etc).

That being said, it's still a deficient program. I lost over 50# last year on the new program, but I never stayed within my daily & weekly points allowance. And maintenance/lifetime is - in my opinion - a joke on WW. There's little to no support for lifetime members, including at meetings. No one wants to hear "I'm struggling with finding the right smart points value for me to stop losing weight." Because it's not calorie-based, it's a pain in the *kitten* experimenting with different daily point targets in a shot-in-the-dark attempt to set a daily target...especially if you eat fats (which are penalized like sugar is). I also don't like having to check everything for points values. Long-term that's not realistic for me. WW will change their program again & points will likely change, again, but calories will always be calories.

But hey, if it works for you (general you), go for it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    On a smart points allowance of 25 (calculated for a 185lb woman of 5'4, sedentary to lose 2lbs a week), that donut is 44% of your smart points for the day

No one gets less than 30 smart points per day, and then they have their additional weekly points (which vary depending on weight, age, sex, etc).

That being said, it's still a deficient program. I lost over 50# last year on the new program, but I never stayed within my daily & weekly points allowance. And maintenance/lifetime is - in my opinion - a joke on WW. There's little to no support for lifetime members, including at meetings. No one wants to hear "I'm struggling with finding the right smart points value for me to stop losing weight." Because it's not calorie-based, it's a pain in the *kitten* experimenting with different daily point targets in a shot-in-the-dark attempt to set a daily target...especially if you eat fats (which are penalized like sugar is). I also don't like having to check everything for points values. Long-term that's not realistic for me. WW will change their program again & points will likely change, again, but calories will always be calories.

I used a free (and therefore not-WW endorsed) calculator to get the 25 on the stats I put in, so I conceed it could be wrong.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »

I have the opposite problem on maintenance- I gain weight as soon as I raise my points to maintenance levels, or else I have to stay at 30 and live off of salad. Very little support for Lifetime members. I have said this so many times online and at meetings, and I got accused of ditching the program as soon as I hit goal. Very frustrating.
  • halmsafit
    halmsafit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am giving the winning points (2001 I believe?) another try. My mom used it when I was a kid and lost a ton of weight on it! I think if I can just go slow and not overwhelm myself (and develop self control) I will succeed- will keep you updated
  • jennordhavn
    jennordhavn Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have done all of the different WW programs over the years and lost successfully on every one EXCEPT smartpoints. I agree it's too restrictive and punitive against certain foods. I do love the accountability of weighing in once a week and the support at meetings (if you get a good leader). I find tracking calories is much more flexible.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago when you had two plans to choose from (flex and core I believe). Never tried core but flex worked great for me. I quit when they came out with points plus but I know a lot of people liked that plan. I haven't done it but from what I've read about I don't think I would like smart points.
    I'm not sure if they had all this at the time, but now there are sites that have points calculators for multiple plans so that u can figure your points for free.