First 13 days - surprising lessons

Options
I've always been one of those people who thinks losing weight and getting fit is pure hell, you have to eat rabit food, always hungry and miserable and then be exhausted from beating yourself up in the gym

So, it's a bit of a surprise to find that using MFP app, following advice from a PT who set my calories and macros, that I can eat carbs, steak, chilli con carne, desserts and all kinds of nice stuff. Actually struggling to eat all the food I'm supposed to in a day.

Never been a fan of yoghurt until this last week where I've been introduced to Fage 0% and Skyr Natural - both high in protein, zero fat - and absolutely delicious! Had 350g with a whole punnet of cooked dark red cherries today, didn't even come close to reaching my calorie target.

Then there's the exercise. In two weeks I've been for 3 walks, a body weight resistance exercise workout, a couple of swims and a bike ride. I'm finding I get tired and need plenty of recovery time. However, this is more activity than I've done in several years. I even cleared a load of junk out and did housework today which I usually never do. Appreciate I'm still very heavy so exercise is gonna be difficult til I'm smaller.

I bought a really smart bicycle today and I'm going to use it for my daily transport. I've always been a cyclist and this will eliminate the excuse of it taking too long to get anywhere on foot (I don't drive) so hopefully I'll get out much more. I need to because I work at home and it's really easy to just stay home.

Should say, I've really wanted to do a transformation for a year at least but just prevaricated constantly or started a programme then got fed up and went back. This feels very different though. I'm enjoying the food and trying to work out menus to meet the calorie and macro profile I've been given, not hungry, no cravings for fast food and not over eating. How did it take me this long to get introduced to this way of controlling weight? It seems so obvious now.

Anyway, thought I'd just share these thoughts as they occurred to me. I gave up smoking 7 years ago and I'd never go back. Weird that after less 2 weeks it sort of feels the same way about food now. Somehow my internal wiring, or something, has changed - I'd no sooner eat a McDonalds or a bag donuts than I would light up a ciggie (confirmed non smoker). Less than 20 days ago I believe I ate a family sized bucket of fried chicken... in one sitting.

As I say, surprising lessons. Mustn't over analyse, just accept the positive change and carry on with the process. I expect it'll take 450 days to reach target. For once it really feels like it could actually happen - one logged in day at a time.

Can for certain say I wasn't expecting to feel like this when I started.

Replies

• maggie2092
    maggie2092 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I'm almost 5 weeks in now, and feel better than I have since I was a child! I too have at least 100lbs to lose, down 20 from my heaviest weight. I've tried many times before, different ways.. but always seemed to fall off the wagon. This time feels real! I feel like I am 100% ready and committed to this journey. I am in no rush, I certainly didn't put this weight on overnight, so I don't expect to lose it overnight either. I'm not on a diet, I'm learning how to change my lifestyle! Best of luck! You sound like you're off to a great start, keep it up!!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    High five!!!! :)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Loved reading your story. Thanks for sharing. I've been logging for a year now & don't miss the way I used to eat at all & once in a while when we go to family gatherings & they have fried or otherwise greasy foods & I have some, I actually feel sick. I was never excited about food before mfp, but now I am, there's so many choices to choose from. I have 10-15 lbs more to lose. Great to have you here & am so glad to hear of your adventure
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Very glad for your excitement & progress!

But I have to admit it... I was thinking the same thing as @JeromeBarry1 - honeymoon phase! We've all been there, first few weeks... "Hey, this is kind of fun! I don't even *need* to eat all those calories! Woohoo!" Not to take anything away from your enthusiasm at all- it can be fun, and it's the much-needed boost we all need to get things rolling. Later isn't all that bad either. I've been either losing or maintaining for the last 5 years, and I wouldn't call it a burden. I don't always have the focus or desire to stay in a deficit, but that's OK, because I've changed my habits & gained some tools that help me keep the weight off I've lost until I'm ready to jump back in. As was mentioned, just hang in there when the days come that you think you'll go berserk if you have to weigh & log one more thing, are tempted to throw the scale out the window, or decide to have pie for breakfast (and no, I didn't just grab that out of the air!) If done right, this journey takes the rest of our lives, so we may as well pace ourselves. ;)

Congratulations on the fresh start & thanks for the positive vibes :)
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    As I say, I'm surprised. When the PTset me up on MFP I just thought 'oh yeah, another fad / gadget' and I accepted it as part of the deal

I did not expect, at all, that I'd happily weigh all my food and log it, look forward to closing the diary successfully, that I could eat food I like nor that it would come quite naturally to eat 4 meals a day. I was a binge eater scarfing down fast food in the evening after starving all day...

anyhoo gotta run my belly is complaining coz it's not had breakfast
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yay you! I have also struggled with doing all sorts of diet modifications and exercise plans before, and the "honeymoon phase" was a thing then. MFP is just different. But even 2 3/4 years in maintenance, I still have a feeling of disbelief - am I kidding myself, will I wake up tomorrow and be fat? This is just too easy and enjoyable - sure it takes an effort and sometimes I have to tell myself "no" and that sucks, but I can also, and do, say "yes!" a lot.

What you are doing, which I also recognize as effective, is building new, meaningful behavior into your actual day. When you feel something has a purpose, it's easier to do it. You reward functional behavior with more functional behavior, it creates a positive reinforcement.

We didn't binge eat because we loved it so much, but because it was a habit that was difficult to stop, even impossible without a competing behavior, a behavior that didn't just take up the time we spent on undesired behavior, but also could compete in providing pleasure. Replacing a bad habit with a sad habit will not work. We have tried that, repeatedly.

This is the new normal, it feels great, but it also feels very strange, not what I expected at all. Changing habits is way easier than changing expectations, I guess.
  • Rickster1967
    Options
    Yes kommodevaran you nailed me

I was in a self destructive cycle that I could not apparently break, I was like a rat on a wheel. That cycle has lasted 6 years. Then 2 weeks ago I started on MFP and it all changed. Just need to do about 500 days like I've been doing and I will have hit target... then into maintenance.

However, and this is weird, despite that knowledge (500 days to target) my focus is only on TODAY. I'm also not dwelling on my mistakes from the past

Some voodoo going on
  • socaldogmom
    socaldogmom Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I felt much the same way when I started over a month ago. I did ww in the past, lost a bunch of weight and eventually put it back on. I'm finding it much simpler just concentrating on eating healthier within my calorie number for the day and exercising. With ww I only concentrated on the points and not healthy eating so this is different. I started with the intention of just getting through each day by logging and moving more than I did the day before. I've had some days that I went way over calories but I got back on track. I am starting to see results and now I'm more motivated to up my exercise. We can do this!
  • Rickster1967
    Options
    tell you what though, I am suffering with soreness, stiffness and tiredness from the little exercise I can manage

slow to recover, when does it started to speed up?

Since Sunday I've done 3 x 30+ minutes walking
    did some furniture moving for about an hour
    a bodyweight workout
    20 minutes bicycling outdoors

feel like I've been run over by a train, was going for an after dinner walk but can't make it

feels like it will be months before it gets better
  • try2again
    Options
    tell you what though, I am suffering with soreness, stiffness and tiredness from the little exercise I can manage

a bodyweight workout

feel like I've been run over by a train, was going for an after dinner walk but can't make it

Don't remember if you shared your initial stats, but I started at about 275 with a lot of joint pain & plantar fasciitis, couldn't hardly make it through the day without a nap. I started with about 20 minutes/day on a recumbent stationary bike and eased my way back into walking. I'd say within 25-30 lbs or so, most of the discomfort issues were gone, though I still have to be careful not to overdo. I've never been a terribly energetic person, even when I was very thin, but energy levels improved steadily as well (down a total of about 70 lbs now).
  • Rickster1967
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

a bodyweight workout

Don't remember if you shared your initial stats, but I started at about 275 with a lot of joint pain & plantar fasciitis, couldn't hardly make it through the day without a nap. I started with about 20 minutes/day on a recumbent stationary bike and eased my way back into walking. I'd say within 25-30 lbs or so, most of the discomfort issues were gone, though I still have to be careful not to overdo. I've never been a terribly energetic person, even when I was very thin, but energy levels improved steadily as well (down a total of about 70 lbs now).

started at 131kgs which is roughly 290lbs

been 14 days since I started, not had a weigh in yet (Tuesday next week)

I'm eating 2300 cals per day (target) but have fallen short some days. Only eaten 1800 today but am full and satisfied, no cravings. Hitting macros pretty accurately too.

Guess when I've lost 30lbs I'll start to feel the benefit. Cycling was hard today, really hard - was surprised because I've been a cyclist most of my life just not the last couple of years

• try2again
    Options

a bodyweight workout

I'm eating 2300 cals per day (target) but have fallen short some days. Only eaten 1800 today but am full and satisfied, no cravings. Hitting macros pretty accurately too.

Guess when I've lost 30lbs I'll start to feel the benefit. Cycling was hard today, really hard - was surprised because I've been a cyclist most of my life just not the last couple of years

You're doing great! It never hurts to check in with the doctor (if you haven't done so already). If nothing else, it would give you a baseline to see how much you are able to improve your health markers (blood sugar, cholesterol, etc). That's been the most encouraging part of my journey :)
  • Rickster1967
    Options

a bodyweight workout

You're doing great! It never hurts to check in with the doctor (if you haven't done so already). If nothing else, it would give you a baseline to see how much you are able to improve your health markers (blood sugar, cholesterol, etc). That's been the most encouraging part of my journey :)

that's awesome

yes, will be doing the blood work with the doctor in a few weeks

I've got a PT and I'll be seeing him twice a week for the long term, like a year at least.

Got lots of plans ahead and need to be fitter and slimmer to do them. Getting lots of help
    and support from my osteopath, PT, hypnotherapist, friends on here and my family.

Just wish I wasn't so far gone that it will take all this time to recover. Can't change the starting
    position though so just carrying on. Happy with the one day at a time approach, logging in the app