Weightloss and Chest Exercises

Options
Really only getting started with the weightloss and have a long road to go. I have been playing football and started cycling and hopefully do a bit more walking or possibly running when I shift a few stone.

I have lost over a stone and it might have always been like that but more aware of the fat on my chest getting looser. Is this something I could work on at home with a set of dumbells or do I really need a gym with chest press and free weights?

I'm not interested in body building (yet) as I'm more focused on weightloss but anything I can try would be good.

I accept I will likely end up with loose skin but hopefully building up muscle might help.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Doing strength training now as you go thru the weight loss process will be helpful in the long run compared to waiting until you reach your goal weight
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. Loose skin is just part of the process so don't be discouraged.

Since you don't have access to a gym at the moment, the best way to build chest muscle at home is by doing push-ups and push-up variations. Depending on the set of dumbbells you have at home you can even do floor presses and fly's. Change up the reps and tempo if the weight becomes to easy for you.

Once you are ready for the next step a gym investment would definitely be worth considering. Good-Luck!
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    JamesMD84 wrote: »
    fat on my chest getting looser. Is this something I could work on at home with a set of dumbells or do I really need a gym with chest press and free weights?

I'm not sure what you mean about fat getting looser...but I assume you're losing weight and you're starting to have extra skin which could cause the appearance of sagging or fat getting looser. I would definitely work on strength training now and not wait. Building muscle will help you burn fat. You can do push-ups and use dumbbells at home, but that will only get you so far. To build muscle, you will need to continually add the amount of resistance you place on your muscles (progressive overload). I would suggest joining a gym or adding more equipment to your home gym. Good luck!