Beautiful Behaviors -- August 2017

Options
This thread will be for people who are focusing on creating a set of gorgeous habits that support a healthy lifestyle.

Weight loss is a byproduct, and not the focus. We will practice self-care by eating healthy foods, moving our bodies, drinking enough water, and other activities that make us FEEL GOOD without harmful effects.

For example, taking an hour with your current book on your favorite lounge chair is a great way to take care of yourself. Get a massage or facial, spend time with a friend, crafting… all good ways to make us feel good without the harmful effects of immediate gratification activities like overeating or indulging in other unhealthy activities. It’s all about taking care of ourselves and loving ourselves and making ourselves happy EVEN IF we are not at a weight we love right now.

Yes, we want to lose weight, but there’s more to life than that. Sometimes giving yourself a foot massage will keep you from the donut. Sometimes it won’t but you will still feel better.

This is a judgment free zone. Let’s support each other and leave the negativity offline. I’m tired of beating myself up about my size. I want to plan to do the best I can and not feel guilty about life getting in the way.

I’m a big believer in baby steps, and setting realistic goals, and celebrating every little success! No reason we can’t enjoy the journey to a healthier lifestyle, no reason we have to feel “wrong” because we are where we are.

If you like the way this sounds, please introduce yourself in this thread. Share whatever you like and come back often! I look forward to meeting people with similar attitudes towards life.

Replies

• jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    good morning, all! happy august!

i have been failing at even attempting this last week. i had weekend guests and used that as an excuse to buy delicious treats that i've been avoiding. now my guests are gone and the food remains, as they eat healthy as a habit. there's nothing really BAD in the house, but there are things that trigger me to overeat. i'll get rid of them today, one way or another. i'm trying to get john to eat them all. :)

i need to recommit. my knee is much better, although still painful, and i'm going to go back to the gym this weekend to do the bike and weights. i'm hoping going to the gym will inspire me to eat more consciously.

how are you all this beautiful morning?

later,
    jess
  • Tsoufla
    Tsoufla Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    gillykh wrote: »
    Hi All,

Amy from Texas here. Hoping to get some much-desired reading done this weekend while my husband is out of town. I have a workbook I'd like to start making my way through, as well.

Only a few weeks until we leave for WA state...maybe a massage while we're gone? I don't know yet. Trying to be nice to myself, and not worry too much about what the calorie/weight/etc. situation will be while I'm away for almost a week. I have a few tactics in mind, but I'm mainly planning to let myself enjoy some fresh seafood and just enjoy being away from home for a while.

-Amy

• jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Lea, i hope you feel better soon!!!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Feel better, Lea! (And is Mauroo a cat or dog?) :)
  • gillykh
    gillykh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you feel sick Lea @aleahurst . I hope it gets better.

Feeling frustrated with the weight loss journey the last two weeks...not up or down much of anything. Just the same. I guess I shouldn't wish for mere movement; it might end up being in the direction I don't want it to be! :)

Oh well. Wish me luck. The husband is out of town and I'm on my own this weekend. Sometimes that means I kill it; sometimes it means I eat everything in sight. We shall see...

Congrats @jessiquoi on your daughter's engagement and your newfound enthusiasm! Maybe you could send a little my way? :)

And hi to all!

-Amy
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I can't believe it's already august. I didn't post much in july. I have had tons of family in town and tons of work!

I have been inconsistent with my weight lifting unfortunately. But I have gotten on my elliptical a few times a week! I don't go for very long though because the one I have at home is super different from the nice Pre-Cor ones I used at school. My new college has them though, so I'll be glad to get on a machine I can use at a steady pace for an hour!

My new beautiful behavior this month has been learning to like peppers! Now I can't get enough! I buy the mini peppers and dip them in a tablespoon or so of hummus. Very satisfying at the end of the day!

@jessiquoi I hope your kitchen work goes well! Having that space to cook at home will definitely aid in your recommitment!

@happysherri "There is no health without mental health." This is a great thought. You always find ones that hit home with me as well. Sometimes my nutrition concerns take away a little of my enjoyment of family functions. At times I have to take a deep breath and remind myself that in the long run, I may actually be healthier mentally by enjoying what is there! Proper nutrition is hard to sustain when I am too strict. I should definitely remember to ease from time to time, even on the calorie counting. That is a challenge I will tackle today. I have the day off at home and have no car, so I'm not running around at work and burning calories. But I still plan to eat as much as I am hungry for, and rest today too!
  • Spiegelchan
    Spiegelchan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    "Beautiful behaviours"
    "Gorgeous habits"
    I never thought of it that way but I love your way with words. Congrats on your daughter's engagement and your new kitchen~
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Pedicures, yoga, getting your hair done, and woo hoo new kitchens! Lots of ways to feel good! And we are worth it. I bet all of us have enjoyed doing something special for someone we love. Have a wonderful weekend, everybody! (My family is here for the first time in a year from Tokyo, and I'm so grateful!)