Long distance running question

Options
OK, so i have a previously scheduled long run on saturday morning with some ladies i run with every other weekend. I think we plan on doing 9 miles this Sat. Then, my good friend, who is a distance runner, is in town and has been promising to go for a long run with me all summer. He asked if i could run Sunday morning with him - probably about 10 miles.

I have been training for a upcoming half marathon since about late april. It will be my first, so unfortunately i do not have years and years of distance running to rely on.

Is this the worst idea ever? I just hate to cancel on either of these people. But I don't want to create some huge running catastrophe at the same time. And obviously, this is one of those crazy, stars aligned situations, and i would not be doing anything so bonkers as back to back long runs on a weekly basis.

advice? recommendations?

Replies

• Andy9053
    Andy9053 Posts: 2
    Options
    Give it a go. it would be good practice for half Marathon. on day 2 you will be running on only slightly refreshed legs.

I would however take both steady and have 2 rest days before and after.

This week in prep for a marathon i did a 2m hilly route Tue, 6 m Wed and 12 m Thu, totally knackered at the end but got used to running on tired legs.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    OK, so i have a previously scheduled long run on saturday morning with some ladies i run with every other weekend. I think we plan on doing 9 miles this Sat. Then, my good friend, who is a distance runner, is in town and has been promising to go for a long run with me all summer. He asked if i could run Sunday morning with him - probably about 10 miles.

I have been training for a upcoming half marathon since about late april. It will be my first, so unfortunately i do not have years and years of distance running to rely on.

Is this the worst idea ever? I just hate to cancel on either of these people. But I don't want to create some huge running catastrophe at the same time. And obviously, this is one of those crazy, stars aligned situations, and i would not be doing anything so bonkers as back to back long runs on a weekly basis.

advice? recommendations?

Yes ..worst idea ever! Since you said you are training for your first, that means that your body is not used to those distances all the time. Your body needs time to recover... so you need to chose. You could ask your friend if he would like to walk with you instead... or skip the girls on Saturday but yes ... doing both is a bad idea. The last thing you wanna do is injure yourself. A true friend will understand... :)
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it, personally. You don't want to increase your mileage more than about 10% per week.

You might be okay with it if you go at a very slow pace both times, sleep very soundly, are careful about refuelling, etc., but overall I really can't say I'd recommend it.

I'm still really new to running, though, so I may be over-cautious. :smile:
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't think this will create a catastrophe. Make sure you stretch well, drink plenty of water and be well rested.

If you injure yourself, then it was just waiting to happen unfortunately. People don't get injured for "over-training" only one extra day... and once in a blue moon :)
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have to say I think that it is a bad idea. One or the other but not both, too much risk of injury.
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't think this will create a catastrophe. Make sure you stretch well, drink plenty of water and be well rested.

If you injure yourself, then it was just waiting to happen unfortunately. People don't get injured for "over-training" only one extra day... and once in a blue moon :)

Have to respectfully disagree with this statement. Some are injury prone, others suffer injuries because they push their body too far at any given time.
  • Hmgiraffy
    Hmgiraffy Posts: 2
    Options
    It probably won't be a disaster, but it's definitely not good on your body. If you're a new runner, you need time to recover. Two long distance runs in two days is a recipe for injury.

If you're dead set on it, do it smart - maybe run/walk both. Be sure to go at an easy pace. Stretch, ice, refuel well, and rest in between.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your Base. It can be a wake-up call to your body, and it can be a bad idea. It all depends on your Base. Your Base is just a matter of how long you've been running, and how many miles you've put in up to this point. If you are under 6 months of training, and progress is slow, then don't do it, however, if you have been running longer than 6 months, and you've been having steady progress, then I'd say go for it.

A note about asking advice on these forums. As you can see from the answers to this question, you get black and white answers. In the future you may wish to give a little more background information so we can give you the best answer possible. No one answered your question wrong, they just had to connect the dots in their own different way.

One thing is certain, if you do a long run on Saturday, and attempt another long run on Sunday, you will have dead-legs. You absolutely need to refuel like crazy after the first run, or you may peter out halfway through the second one.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your Base. It can be a wake-up call to your body, and it can be a bad idea. It all depends on your Base. Your Base is just a matter of how long you've been running, and how many miles you've put in up to this point. If you are under 6 months of training, and progress is slow, then don't do it, however, if you have been running longer than 6 months, and you've been having steady progress, then I'd say go for it.

A note about asking advice on these forums. As you can see from the answers to this question, you get black and white answers. In the future you may wish to give a little more background information so we can give you the best answer possible. No one answered your question wrong, they just had to connect the dots in their own different way.

One thing is certain, if you do a long run on Saturday, and attempt another long run on Sunday, you will have dead-legs. You absolutely need to refuel like crazy after the first run, or you may peter out halfway through the second one.

This.