Bupropion XL 150mg? (Wellbutrin) stopping/loss?

Options
Hi everyone
Anyone stop taking Bupropion XL 150mg? (Wellbutrin) and finally lost weight? I have been on it for two years and no matter how much I exercise or eat less, I cannot lose weight. I only gain. If I stop, will I lose the excess pounds? Thanks!!

Replies

• bama_belle78
    bama_belle78 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    following Im up about 15 lbs and can't get it off. I take 300mg of the Bupropion
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    In theory, it's better than most antidepressants as far as weight, but there are exceptions to every rule. I don't recall it causing me to gain or making it harder to lose, but I was on a cocktail of meds so it's hard to pinpoint which ones affected my weight.
  • dfeyes3
    dfeyes3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I take 300 mg daily and it has been veeeerryy hard to lose- I've been taking it for quite a while. Most recently, last year, I lost 12 lbs in 9 months. So it is possible, but I do believe the med makes it difficult. I gained back the weight (and more) in about a month, when I stopped logging my foods:( I'm working hard right now- it's a mindset- I will lose it again- and more!
  • allamuchyprof
    allamuchyprof Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone -- and congrats on your weight loss!! I am Having a ton of side effects with this medication....clenching my teeth is probably the worst. My dr put me on it while I am dealing with an ill mother (cancer). I think I may wean off (discretion of doctor) and see if therapy would work best for me.
    Thanks again!!!!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Even the antidepressants that are linked to weight gain don't make you gain weight out of nowhere, and Wellbutrin isn't an antidepressant that is linked to weight gain. When antidepressants are linked to weight gain, they do so because they increase your appetite, so it's still possible (although potentially more difficult) to lose weight while taking them.

Stopping Wellbutrin won't automatically make you lose weight, and you shouldn't stop taking it without a doctor's supervision.

Whether you're on Wellbutrin or not, in order to lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit. If you haven't been able to lose weight, it's because you haven't created a calorie deficit over a long enough period of time to see results.
  • Breenacole
    Breenacole Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I took Wellbutrin for a year, and I gained so much. Doc switched me to a topamax/lexapro regimen instead and I lost pretty steadily after that. I'm off the lexapro now, and only take the topamax for my anxiety. Only side effect my doc and I have seen is when I take the topamax on high anxiety days, I lose appetite completely
  • buggleuh749
    buggleuh749 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while taking bupropion and got to my lowest weight ever.
  • ericads75
    ericads75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is unfortunate how everyone's body reacts differently. I began taking 150mg and am having trouble eating---absolutely no appetite. I'm down 12 pounds in 4 weeks. I wish you luck.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm on 450 mg and I haven't noticed that it's caused any weight issues. I've been on it for probably 25 years.