Looking for some buddies/guidance with PCOS Keto diet :)

swammertime
swammertime Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi! My name is Taylor, I'm 25, lifelong vegetarian (and not looking to change that), and I was diagnosed with pcos with insulin resistance about a year and a half ago, tried the low carb high protein thing then but it fell through when I moved and had an intense rheumatoid arthritis flare. This is my second attempt at a keto diet; it's a challenge for me because I have ADHD and the lack of carbs really leaves me in a brain fog a lot. But I've been having some serious issues with my pcos lately (one of the cysts hemorrhaged into my abdominal cavity and I had to have emergency surgery), and have gained ten lbs since may, so I'm trying to lose that, and just take better care of myself.

I just started seeing a nutritionist and what she told me was more focused on portions and when I'm eating the most food. I tend to eat big dinners because I work in the evenings as a swim coach and I'm usually really hungry by then, but it's an issue because I'm off work pretty late, so I'm going to bed with a full stomach. My big goal right now for that is eating my large meal at a different time, I think lunch is best for me since big breakfasts leave me hangry all day.

She also told me just a regular multivitamin and protein powder, and I'm going to start trying Inositol tabs too to see what all the hype in treating insulin resistance is about.

I'm struggling to find the appropriate numeric goals as guidelines for someone with my conditions; what I've found on keto is all protocol is all for people without. If you have some advice I'd love it! I also would love to have some buddies to do this with :)

Replies

• scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Hi I also have pcos but am not doing the keto diet. I am having to do my own research and am now trying to change my diet to follow more towards a diabetic diet. If your looking for a buddy with pcos I'm here but if ur looking for someone with it and doing keto i hope u find someone. :) glad ur doing better though and good luck on ur journey.
  • swammertime
    Is there a big difference between the two? My grandfather had diabetes when I was a kid but he died when I was 13 so all I really remember of his dietary restrictions was no butter and no sugar. I'm already pretty good about not drinking soda or eating candy, I have pms cravings for pastries but I've also gotten that to a pretty moderated standard. My big sugar intake seems to come from pasta and bread, and formerly potatoes.

I'd definitely love to know how that is helping you! I really struggle with the constant hunger that comes with insulin resistance, but I don't want to keep eating things I can't metabolize well because of the insulin resistance.
  • BanBanesh
    BanBanesh Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    I would rethink the Keto diet. Any diet you can really stick to is going to be way more effective than a diet that you can't wait to stop doing. Keto is very unforgiving. Also -just for clarity- it is not high protein, it is high fat. Only 20-25% of calories are from protein, 5% carbs, and the remaining 70-75% are from fats.

What I mean by 'unforgiving' is, it's not something you can cheat. You are either doing it, or you're NOT doing it. "Cheat meals (or days)" completely knock you out of Ketosis. The last three weeks, I have had different friends visit from out of town and gone out to eat with them. Each one was a 'cheat meal'. And my progress has completely stalled. ONE meal out of 21 meals a week, and no progress towards my goals! Three weeks in a row! That is more than most people can take without giving up.

I personally LOVE the diet, and once you transition over, that FOG is completely gone. I have ADHD too, and Keto controls it to the point that I am off medication. I was on Keto 8 months last year and took time off for the holidays because I was getting too skinny. I am now back on it for 93 days (so far) as part of a training program for a Marathon.

But, I never could have succeeded with Keto if not for the fact that, for several months before I started, I was already weighing and logging EVERYTHING I ate, at every meal. So, I would suggest that you build up those habits on a more traditional diet that doesn't require such frustratingly strict adherence to be successful. If you are only worried about 10 lbs, you'll probably lose that before you get a chance to try keto.

Again, I love the diet. But it is very unforgiving, and EXTREMELY anti-social (NO drinking, and you basically have to cook every single meal at home, and no cheating at all). If that is something you truly want to try, go for it, it's awesome and will definitely give you results. If it sounds like it will be too much of a challenge (i.e. you have a personal life. jajajajaaja) then start with portion control and tracking, like your nutritionist suggested.

That's my two cents. Good luck.
    ~Banyan
  • swammertime
    Ohhh ok. Then you're right I'm definitely not on the keto diet. I very specifically have to have high protein intake, that's been universal from all the doctors who have helped me manage pcos and insulin resistance. Thank you so much!