Marinade calorie impact

Options
_pi3_
_pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
How much if any does a marinated meat impact calories? Especially if you just let the meat sit in it and throw most of it out?

Replies

• Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Most accurate way would be to weigh the marinade beforehand and weigh it again after you take the meat out. The difference would be what got absorbed into your meat.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yes and no. Some of the meat's juice will combine with the marinade. If the marinade is chunky, different ingredients in it will be absorbed at different levels. If it's thick more of it will stick to the meat than if it's thin. I recently read a whole bunch of former threads on this topic and there is no really good answer. The last time I used a marinade, I decided to include 1/10th of its calories in my log but that could be right or wrong, over or under. If I were to cook something in the marinade and eat it as a sauce, then I would include all of it. Make your best guess.

Same problem arises for vegetables in a brine or marinade -- like sliced cucumbers in an asian vinegar brine. You don't drink all that vinegar? So, just make a best guess.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I never track marinade. Hasn't seem to had any affect so far. If I get to point where I'm not losing like I should, I'll re-evaluate.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Some of the meat's juice will combine with the marinade. If the marinade is chunky, different ingredients in it will be absorbed at different levels. If it's thick more of it will stick to the meat than if it's thin. I recently read a whole bunch of former threads on this topic and there is no really good answer. The last time I used a marinade, I decided to include 1/10th of its calories in my log but that could be right or wrong, over or under. If I were to cook something in the marinade and eat it as a sauce, then I would include all of it. Make your best guess.

Same problem arises for vegetables in a brine or marinade -- like sliced cucumbers in an asian vinegar brine. You don't drink all that vinegar? So, just make a best guess.

Yes. And not all marinades are vinegar/citrus/etc. based - I marinade in buttermilk, yogurt and other "thick" liquids as well. I grew up in the slide rule age, not calculator, so I'm very comfortable with the thought that we can't push the accuracy of our measurements beyond what we can reasonably justify. As long as my scale continues moving in the correct direction (35+lbs this year), I don't fret over the fringe data. I make reasoned approximations as best I can.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,426 Member
    Options
    Depends. if you marinade in something oil-based then the calories can add up. Imagine you make a marinade of 30ml of oil. 10ml stick to your meat. That's around 90 calories I think.