Gained 10lb in a weekend after going out to eat... two months of clean diet later, it's still there

Replies

• texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    It sounds like a doctor's visit may be in order, just to be sure there's nothing going on outside of your control.

I personally have a very hard time getting below the top of a healthy BMI. I plugged in your numbers now and you are within the healthy range (as I'm sure you know). Have you ever been at the weight you are aiming at? I suspect my trouble getting lower than the top of a healthy BMI is that I've been above that since I was a teenager - way above it for the majority of the time.

Just some thoughts. I hear your frustration and I'm very sorry. I hope you figure it out.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Yeah, I know that the one pound = 3500 calories thing is inexact at best, but you say you gained 12 pounds from one meal and managed to lose 2 resulting in a net gain of 10 that hasn't gone away in over 2 months.... Even if it only takes 3000 calories for you to gain a pound you'd need to eat 36000 to gain 12 pounds. No way one meal is anywhere close to that many. Consider that the Heart Attack Grill served a "quadruple bypass burger" that actually killed people (and most people couldn't even finish) and that was 9,982 calories (approx). Get to a doctor!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Do you use a food scale to weigh all solid foods (raw meats, raw grains/pastas, nuts, raw legumes, fruits, veg, butter, mayo, yogurt, anything prepackaged/single serve etc) in grams, and cups/spoons for liquid only?

Do you choose the correct database entries? Have you updated your diet profile since you've lost weight?
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    The problem could be in your "calories out", has your activity level changed? I remember when I started driving and stopped walking/riding the bus, I gained 10 lbs in 10 months! Also, have your thyroid checked. I'm hypothyroid and if I slip on my diet/activity even a little bit, I balloon and gain weight extremely fast!
  • day17
    day17 Posts: 47 Member
    opalneria wrote: »
    Have you seen a doctor? Unexplained weight gain or loss can be a sign of illness.

I've been to a doctor in early July, but she didn't seem to think it was particularly worrisome. It's possible that she just didn't take me seriously (as you can see the people already in this thread basically telling me it's impossible so it didn't happen, lol) and believed I was just exaggerating!

I was hoping to bring this up with her again at my next appt now that I've done the reset diet and had no effect. I figure that if I ate super clean for a month and nothing changed, there has to be something else going on, right?
    day17 wrote: »
    Do you think it could be a hormone imbalance? It's sort of strange that you could eat so healthily and not lose but one pound a month. And that 12 lb gain also suggests that it could be something with your hormones. Maybe get that checked out.

This is something I have wondered. I have another appointment coming up in August, so I will bring this up SPECIFICALLY with her. Is there a particular test that I should be requesting?
    thebuz wrote: »
    Has the heat increased where you are? I retain LOTS of water in the heat and carry that all through the summer months. Just a thought. For me it's hereditary. The water weight will drop off when the temperature comes back done towards fall.

I drink tons of water, but I don't think I've increased the amount. I've always been a heavy water drinker though, and this summer has been a bit milder than usual (thank god lol). It's a thought, though. Thank you!

Yes, request a CBC and a TSH test. CBC is a complete blood count and will check on things like hemoglobin levels. TSH will check in your thyroid gland which will give an indication of whether or not you have a hormone imbalance.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Have you been checked for PCOS or insulin resistance?
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    I don't have much to offer (the scale itself was my first suspicion), but I'm glad you're making a doctor's appointment and please report back in with us after. Now I'm worried for you!
  • opalneria
    opalneria Posts: 12 Member
    texteach66 wrote: »
    It sounds like a doctor's visit may be in order, just to be sure there's nothing going on outside of your control.

I personally have a very hard time getting below the top of a healthy BMI. I plugged in your numbers now and you are within the healthy range (as I'm sure you know). Have you ever been at the weight you are aiming at? I suspect my trouble getting lower than the top of a healthy BMI is that I've been above that since I was a teenager - way above it for the majority of the time.

Just some thoughts. I hear your frustration and I'm very sorry. I hope you figure it out.

Yes, before I gained the weight (I lived near a smoker and it triggered constant migraines for about a year until I got out of my lease, which meant I stopped having the energy to work out or cook for myself = rapid weight gain) I was 125-135 for most of my adult life. My primary issue is I tend to carry weight on my stomach, so I want to cut that down for health and aesthetic reasons. I think if I carried weight a bit more evenly, I wouldn't be so concerned, but... my stomach has other ideas!

Thank you :)

I have not recently. Thank you!
    Have you seen a doctor? Unexplained weight gain or loss can be a sign of illness.

I've been to a doctor in early July, but she didn't seem to think it was particularly worrisome. It's possible that she just didn't take me seriously (as you can see the people already in this thread basically telling me it's impossible so it didn't happen, lol) and believed I was just exaggerating!

I was hoping to bring this up with her again at my next appt now that I've done the reset diet and had no effect. I figure that if I ate super clean for a month and nothing changed, there has to be something else going on, right?
    Do you think it could be a hormone imbalance? It's sort of strange that you could eat so healthily and not lose but one pound a month. And that 12 lb gain also suggests that it could be something with your hormones. Maybe get that checked out.

This is something I have wondered. I have another appointment coming up in August, so I will bring this up SPECIFICALLY with her. Is there a particular test that I should be requesting?
    Has the heat increased where you are? I retain LOTS of water in the heat and carry that all through the summer months. Just a thought. For me it's hereditary. The water weight will drop off when the temperature comes back done towards fall.

I drink tons of water, but I don't think I've increased the amount. I've always been a heavy water drinker though, and this summer has been a bit milder than usual (thank god lol). It's a thought, though. Thank you!

Yes, request a CBC and a TSH test. CBC is a complete blood count and will check on things like hemoglobin levels. TSH will check in your thyroid gland which will give an indication of whether or not you have a hormone imbalance.

Thank you so much!
    The problem could be in your "calories out", has your activity level changed? I remember when I started driving and stopped walking/riding the bus, I gained 10 lbs in 10 months! Also, have your thyroid checked. I'm hypothyroid and if I slip on my diet/activity even a little bit, I balloon and gain weight extremely fast!

Yes, somewhat, but I've tried to balance it out... I have tried to make up for less walking (my dog's age and arthritis is catching up with him, so he can only manage maybe 2 miles per day now as opposed to our past 6-8) with more time on the elliptical and stationary bike... but I've also tried to underestimate calories out.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Have you double-checked all the database entries for the food you eat regularly to make sure you haven't accidentally used some inaccurate ones? When I got started, I was using some that were off by quite a bit.
  • day17
    day17 Posts: 47 Member
    texteach66 wrote: »

Yes, before I gained the weight (I lived near a smoker and it triggered constant migraines for about a year until I got out of my lease, which meant I stopped having the energy to work out or cook for myself = rapid weight gain) I was 125-135 for most of my adult life. My primary issue is I tend to carry weight on my stomach, so I want to cut that down for health and aesthetic reasons. I think if I carried weight a bit more evenly, I wouldn't be so concerned, but... my stomach has other ideas!

Thank you :)

I have not recently. Thank you!

Thank you so much!

Yes, somewhat, but I've tried to balance it out... I have tried to make up for less walking (my dog's age and arthritis is catching up with him, so he can only manage maybe 2 miles per day now as opposed to our past 6-8) with more time on the elliptical and stationary bike... but I've also tried to underestimate calories out.

No problem! Good luck and let us know how the appointment goes.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Idk but something isn't adding up with your story.
  • opalneria
    opalneria Posts: 12 Member
    Have you double-checked all the database entries for the food you eat regularly to make sure you haven't accidentally used some inaccurate ones? When I got started, I was using some that were off by quite a bit.

Yes! This is a good thought, and I actually have to go in and manually add in quite a few corrected entries, frankly. I did notice this about... two years ago, I was definitely misreporting my calories simply because some entries were outdated or perhaps from other markets or something... however it happens, yeah, I've noticed this issue as well.

I do have to trust some of them (ie peaches or other fruits/veg that don't come with nutritional info) but I'm not sure what else can be done there, unfortunately. It's possible that the produce are really off in MFP, but I hope not!