What Is Your BMI?

Options
BMI - Body Mass Index

Your BMI is a measure of your weight in relation to your height.

- People with a BMI of less than 18.5 are underweight.

- A BMI of between 18.5 & 25 is ideal.

- A BMI between 25 & 30 is classed as overweight.

- A person with a BMI over 30 is Obese.

Replies

• Brandon2118
    Brandon2118 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    haha.. for me, personally, I loathe the BMI. Mine is greater than thirty and I'm listed as obese but my bf% is only 10%. But to answer your question, I think mine is like 34
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    BMI should be used in conjunction with other measures like BF%...it really shouldn't be a stand alone measurement.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Here is my problem with the BMI, many people that are muscular look at it from that extreme of being low body fat percentage but high BMI. I tend to look at it from the opposite side of the scale. For instance, I am a 37 y/o male and I am 6ft even. My current weight is 176 which is in the healthy range. Now, according to the BMI scale, I can weigh as low as 137lbs and still be considered in a normal weight. To me, this is even more dangerous than the other end of the spectrum. How can a grown man at 6ft tall weigh under 140lbs and be considered healthy??

Bottom line, I don't use the BMI at all, I see how i feel, how i look, and monitor my Cholesterol, blood pressure, triglycerides and other metrics to determine health, not just one number. I know people use it as a base but i personally think it is useless.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Mine is 22. 5'4" and 127. BMI is goofy though, because people have different builds. However, since mine is in the normal range, I go with it!
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    (I don't think OP was asking what 'your' BMI is. I think she wanted to pose a relatively easy question then answer it herself.)

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
  • SheriffMichelle
    SheriffMichelle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 30.1, and I am soooo close to being not obese. I am very excited.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    Here is my problem with the BMI, many people that are muscular look at it from that extreme of being low body fat percentage but high BMI. I tend to look at it from the opposite side of the scale. For instance, I am a 37 y/o male and I am 6ft even. My current weight is 176 which is in the healthy range. Now, according to the BMI scale, I can weigh as low as 137lbs and still be considered in a normal weight. To me, this is even more dangerous than the other end of the spectrum. How can a grown man at 6ft tall weigh under 140lbs and be considered healthy??

Bottom line, I don't use the BMI at all, I see how i feel, how i look, and monitor my Cholesterol, blood pressure, triglycerides and other metrics to determine health, not just one number. I know people use it as a base but i personally think it is useless.

I used to weigh in at 140# and 6'1 when I was in the Army in my late teens and early twenties. I also used to max the Army Physical Fitness Test in all 3 events and had the Physical Fitness badge. I'm 225# now and much more muscular/stronger but I'd contend that I was in much better "shape" back then. ;)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    18.9 last time I checked my weight on Saturday. Just a bit of fluid retention could send that up to over 19 next weigh in however, lol.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    BMI is an absolute joke. I left two primary care doctors because they referenced that. I'm between 6ft.-6'1, weigh 200-210 lbs. with body fat ranging between 10%-12% and they told me I needed to drop down to 165 lbs to be healthy. All while morbidly obese looking people were in that office.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I weigh what I have weighed most of my life. I never knew about BMI back then so it never bothered me.

Just checked and today I have a BMI of 19.1. Still doesn't bother me.

I am much happier knowing that I have a better muscle to fat ratio now than when younger.

Cheers, h.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    I'm right in the middle of my normal BMI range. :)
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    25.7 still fat af unfortunately
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Now 27.
    Then (the bad old days) 44.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    25.7 still fat af unfortunately

That's not very nice.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 28.5 (overweight), my body fat percentage is 28.8 (normal for my age/gender). Trying to drop to under 25% bodyfat by Christmas.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    haha.. for me, personally, I loathe the BMI. Mine is greater than thirty and I'm listed as obese but my bf% is only 10%. But to answer your question, I think mine is like 34

Same here. My BMI puts me at overweight, my bodyfat percentage puts me at normal. For me, the only number I really pay attention to are the numbers on the weights at the gym. I also just recently developed a problem you most likely have: jeans!!! When your waist size and quads don't fit the same pair of pants.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Overweight. :(