Stretching Before Squats

Options
Looking for some good stretches to do before squatting. Really feeling it in my thighs and hips and think I need a better stretch beforehand.

Replies

• pmyn29
    pmyn29 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Third world squats, holding onto something if you need to. I usually do these and hold in between sets as well.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling your quads helps too
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Foam rolling your quads helps too

I had always kind of discounted foam rolling until I started doing it regularly- holy smokes, it has helped my recovery so much. I watched a few videos on how to foam roll and it has been amazing.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    warmup squats with the bar or little weight. I often do overhead squats to warm up. static stretching isn't a particularly good idea.

I do a warm-up squat set before moving into my working set too.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Definitely going to look into foam rolling. I do some warmup with the bar but maybe I need to do more.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use the trx to help loosen things up a bit, and i do some hip openers , and then a walk around funny with this band around my knees to warm my hips up.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do glute activation - bodyweight squats, hip thrusts and kickbacks with bands
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do some general moving around (ride the Airdyne, walk a bit, or empty the dishwasher) for about 10 minutes and then do the much booed static stretching and then do some bodyweight glute bridges and squats.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I stretch in the rest intervals between sets. Beforehand, I warm the muscle up carefully with the same exercise but lighter weight. The idea is to do at least half of your overall lifting volume during the warmups before you get to your work sets. The warmup sets start with the bar and higher reps and reduce reps as weight is incremented. This isn't at all original thinking. The Russian sports physiologist, Simolenov (sp?) came up with this about 35 years ago by having athletes workout and cutting little bits of muscle out of their bodies. His work got translated in the 1990s and is pretty standard warmup methodology for powerlifters these days. I'm glad somebody else helped him collect the data, not me.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The man himself, Greg Everett, has a great video on warm-ups. It's for weightlifting, but WL is pretty much a lot of squats. As he says, use what you need here and discard the rest.
    http://www.catalystathletics.com/video/74/Catalyst-Athletics-Standard-Warm-up/
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Just banded hip flexor distraction for me. Then a slow easy warmup to my workin weight.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i do sun salutations and pigeon pose before my warm up sets.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,630 Member
    Options
    For me, it's leg extensions and light kettlebell swings.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Search up Matt Ogus lower body mobility/warm-up on YouTube.
    Best one I've seen so far.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Definitely going to look into foam rolling. I do some warmup with the bar but maybe I need to do more.

i used to/sometimes do the agile 8 warmup from joey defranco, but my own experience is that i don't always need exactly the same stretches/mobility work every day, so just generically stretching isn't always the most productive approach for me. warmup sets are good for showing me what's tight and what isn't.

• CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Leg Swings, 3rd World squat, ankle Mobility and Band Walks (Band around knees, walk in a square for 30 seconds).
    Been doing that for the last 4 years. Squat Depth\Mobility has never been an issue.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    2 sets with the empty bar.