Activity Level and Fitbit

I'm sorry if this is a frequent question. I have synced my Fitbit with my app, should I put my fitness level to "not active" to properly track my calorie "output".

Replies

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    That is what I have done. I put it at Sedentary and eat back some calories until I'm satisfied. I'm fairly active, but with the occasional day that I'm stuck at my desk on the phone - I don't want to overeat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    if you are going to enable negative adjustments yes use sedentary...if you find the adjustments are huge you can change your activity level to reflect true movement etc.
  • SammiLilyBug
    SammiLilyBug Posts: 11 Member
    I have a Fitbit as well and have MyFitnessPal set on sedentary. I didn't want to possibly be logging my exercise twice, and my weight has been coming off consistently at 1.5 pounds a week, so for me I think that's what it needs to be, hope that helps.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited August 2017
    It doesn't matter. I'm set to lightly active (and regularly hit 10,000 steps outside of exercise), and have negative calories enabled for the days where I don't move as much.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Yup I have mine at sedentary otherwise my numbers just don't look right
  • madameb80
    madameb80 Posts: 18 Member
    Mines sedentary as well. I have a desk job which throughout the day only sees me doing 4k steps I make the rest up once I leave or go to the gym. It's my first week logging and exercising. I hope the scales are kind.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Mine is sedentary as well. Presently I'm not logging any additional exercise other than my fitbit. I'm managing to log about 12,000 steps. I eat back most of my fitbit adjustment.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    At the end of the day, it does not matter.

Lets assume sedentary MFP assumes you burn 1700 daily and lightly active, MFP assumes you burn 2000. You have a 500 calorie planned deficit.

Scenario A: starting goal is 1200 calories in. Fitbit says you burned 2200 so your adjustment is +500. Ultimate goal is to eat 1700.

Scenario B: starting goal is 1500 calories in. Fitbit says you burned 2200 so your adjustment is +200. Ultimate goal is to eat 1700.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    If you have negative adjustments enabled, you don't need to worry about it. On days when I'm not very active, I get a negative adjustment so I don't over eat.
  • theritestuff
    theritestuff Posts: 101 Member
    That is what I have done. I put it at Sedentary and eat back some calories until I'm satisfied. I'm fairly active, but with the occasional day that I'm stuck at my desk on the phone - I don't want to overeat.

I did pretty much the same thing and so far, so good!