Watching my sodium, but what about salting my food?

Options
Hi MFP family. I am trying to flush my system after a few days in a row of indulgence so I am drinking a lot of water and watching sodium intake. But how should I deal with when I salt my food? Either as I am cooking it or at the table? Do you track table salt? it doesnt seem like the increments in MFP are small enough to track just the little bit that I use. Any thoughts on how to best track this?

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    This could help: A pinch of salt can have 400mg of sodium. Do you have a measuring spoon that measures 1/8 of a tsp? That's 250mg (google that since I'm not sure).
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I don't worry much about it. I use such a tiny amount compared to packaged and restaurant food that it seems like an unnecessary level of granularity.

That said, when I'm watching sodium, I don't add salt. I also picked up a small container of salt substitute at the grocery store. Side-steps the issue entirely. :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I use no salt salt which tastes like salt but 0 sodium. I use because I regularly get 8000+mg sodium a day from my diet and don't want to be adding even more from salt lol.
  • allisonshaw710
    allisonshaw710 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This could help: A pinch of salt can have 400mg of sodium. Do you have a measuring spoon that measures 1/8 of a tsp? That's 250mg (google that since I'm not sure).

Thanks! I don't have that size spoon but it may be good to get!
  • allisonshaw710
    allisonshaw710 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use no salt salt which tastes like salt but 0 sodium. I use because I regularly get 8000+mg sodium a day from my diet and don't want to be adding even more from salt lol.

Thanks! I'll have to look for that!

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I'll have to look for that!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The addition of a few shakes of table salt on a plate of food is not a major component of your daily salt intake. Buy and cook in a "low sodium" way, and you'll do much better than if you only substitute potassium chloride for table salt.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

I'll have to look for that!

Thanks! I'll have to look for that!

no-salt-bread-016.jpg
    This is what it looks like. I love it because I love adding salt to my veggies and other foods and now I don't have to deprive myself lol.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The addition of a few shakes of table salt on a plate of food is not a major component of your daily salt intake. Buy and cook in a "low sodium" way, and you'll do much better than if you only substitute potassium chloride for table salt.

I do buy low-sodium foods and track my sodium intake here in MFP, but I do like the taste of salted food - which I have been avoiding. Now I can have low-sodium and a little salt on my food.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    It contains high potassium. People with kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, Addison's disease, stomach ulcers, or other health problems should never take potassium supplements without talking to a doctor first. ...just something to know...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It contains high potassium. People with kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, Addison's disease, stomach ulcers, or other health problems should never take potassium supplements without talking to a doctor first. ...just something to know...

Yes I did know this I have low potassium so it actually helps me. It doesn't contain the amount that could cause harm unless you literally dump tablespoons on your food. If your potassium runs really high and you've had issues than definitely not the best so good thing you mentioned for those who have had issues with high potassium. I calculated before how much you would need to ingest to actually cause a rise in potassium and it was quite a bit, more than any normal person would regularly use. 1g has about the same potassium as eating 1 banana.