My addiction is sugar.

Options
DecayingPachimari
DecayingPachimari Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2017 in Motivation and Support
No better way to explain it, I HAVE to consume some sort of sugary food or drink or else I get a god-awful migraine. I crave it all the time...
It's not like I'm constantly picking up bags of candy at a gas station, but I will get a Mountain Dew and that's about it. My [main] daily sugar intake is usually some iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts or Mtn Dew. Which isn't too bad since I don't have either of them several times a day, but it's at least one of those once a day.

It can do a number on my daily calorie limit, (1200), but if I just cut them out I'll have to deal with the migraines...

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you switch to black coffee or Diet Mountain Dew to save the calories?
  • Kedikat
    Kedikat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue - I was constantly eating sugar, just topping up my levels all day. I couldn't stop myself. Cutting down on sugar would give me a migraine, so it was easier just to keep eating it.

In the past, I've tried sugar detox, and by day 2-3 would get a very severe headache or migraine that would last 1-2 days. After it went, I would feel amazing and the sugar cravings were gone.

But then, the old habits would creep back in and I was back to the sugar craving again.

However, I've finally beaten the cycle. I cut back only moderately this time, and still eat sugar when I want it. But I find I want it much less now. I have given up sugar in my tea for the first time in my life and am no longer hostage to sweets, doughnuts and chocolate.

I do still get the occasional headache or migraine if I overdo it on the sugar then crash down again, but it's much less often and it's not a craving any more.

If you can't envisage a life without being a slave to sugar cravings, then that's exactly how I was. It's now been about 3 months that I've cut back and I don't feel like I need to go back. I'm losing weight slowly but steadily and I break my diet when I want to, not because I have to.

Cutting down slowly, but actually sticking with it is highly likely to work !! Good luck.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It's the caffeine, not the sugar. Get yourself some Excedrine Migraine (it has caffeine).
  • JTlivez
    JTlivez Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you need to cut back before cutting out the caffeine, black coffee would be the way to go. It's actually healthy and you can slowly cut back on the caffeine.