Pull ups hurt my abs?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
We have a pull-up bar in our apartment, and I occasionally just grab a hold and do a pull up to remind myself I can still do them. Well, same thing happened tonight. Except when i was lifting myself I noticed that it wasn't just my arms that seemed to flex - my abs also flexed. When I set myself back down my breathing felt a little weird, and my abs felt quite tight.

It just felt weird - any idea why?
Is it similar to when you bench press and your knee starts to twitch? That kind of thing?

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    We have a pull-up bar in our apartment, and I occasionally just grab a hold and do a pull up to remind myself I can still do them. Well, same thing happened tonight. Except when i was lifting myself I noticed that it wasn't just my arms that seemed to flex - my abs also flexed. When I set myself back down my breathing felt a little weird, and my abs felt quite tight.

It just felt weird - any idea why?
    Is it similar to when you bench press and your knee starts to twitch? That kind of thing?
  • superduperbandnerd
    Options
    your abs are just trying to make you ballance ,,,, i think:ohwell:
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    it also depends on the height... if it's low enough that you have to bend your legs, that's a mega workout for your core (which includes your abs) to stabilize you...
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    You should feel it in your abs. Helps you do the pull up.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    If you keep your femur at a right angle to the floor and perform the pull ups in a controlled movement you shouldn't feel any tension in your abs. The more hip flexion you create during a pull up the more you bring in the abdominals to stabilize your body.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says he does pull ups precisely because it works the abs-makes a more efficient workout so he doesn't spend all day at the day. Sort of like killing 2 birds with one stone.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Dr. Oz says he does pull ups precisely because it works the abs-makes a more efficient workout so he doesn't spend all day at the day. Sort of like killing 2 birds with one stone.

One thing that I love about most calisthenics and free weights is that it gives you a chance to engage your abs and really give them a good workout without specifically targeting them.

I'm a fan of Dr. Oz he is very honest and factual.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    It's really amazing how many muscles come into play with pullups. Until P90X, I was terrible with pullups. Now I actually enjoy them!