Weight loss frustration!

Options
Hi everybody, really hoping someone can help me out here. I've been on in and around 1200-1400 calories a day since July 14th and I'm not loosing anything. I've been very careful with what I'm taking in and doing weights and some cardio (mostly walking). I haven't lost a pound! not one! Has anyone experience this? Any advice would be so much appreciate as I'm not sure it gets more demoralizing than this!

Replies

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    There is a learning curve with accurately logging food, most of us here has accidentally underestimated the calories we eat or overestimated calories burned. The most likely explanation is a problem with logging (and that would mean you're eating more calories than you think). If you open your diary to public it might help.
    What is your current weight and goal weight? How tall are you? Are you measuring/weighing food?
    Keep in mind, although it seems like forever, it has only been a couple weeks. It can take a little while to really see progress. Hang in there!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale and are you using it for everything you eat?
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Also. You post no stats.

Should we magically know what's wrong?
    Are you just venting?
  • JulieKelly116
    JulieKelly116 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is my first post so not sure what posting stats means? Sorry for the confusion on that. Certainly not venting, really want to get to the bottom of it and do appreciate the feedback. I'm 5'6 and 151 pounds. I've been very careful with my calories (or so I thought) I don't have a scale but use cups to measure. When I walk I will usually put the miles into mapmywalk and then cut about 300 off 'total' calories burned. I walk put to 50 miles a week on a good week and 25 on a bad.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Get a good food scale and work on your logging accuracy. You're most likely eating more than you think.
  • JulieKelly116
    Options
    Good idea thanks.
  • testonbrianannie
    testonbrianannie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also, I have read a lot of articles that walking really may not be enough to burn calories. My favorite online person to work out with is cathe Freidrich. Look her up. She does a variety of different workouts that really help burn fat.
  • JulieKelly116
    Options
    Also, I have read a lot of articles that walking really may not be enough to burn calories. My favorite online person to work out with is cathe Freidrich. Look her up. She does a variety of different workouts that really help burn fat.

That's interesting, I had understood walking was the same as running for burning calories! Will definitely check her out. Thanks for that recommendation.
    candilc9 wrote: »
    You might be losing fat and gaining muscle, have you checked your measurements to see if you've lost inches? Becoming more toned might not show on the scale...
    I didnt measure anything but I'm quite muscular so I don't think I've put on much more. Thanks for the tip though.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You might be losing fat and gaining muscle, have you checked your measurements to see if you've lost inches? Becoming more toned might not show on the scale...

No. Not eating at a deficit. That's not how it works.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

No one's really going to gain muscle, while on a calorie intake of 1209-1400 calories a day with walking as the only exercise.

Burning off fat, absolutely. Increasing strength, possibly. Building additional lean mass? Nope--that takes a calorie surplus.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

No one's really going to gain muscle, while on a calorie intake of 1209-1400 calories a day with walking as the only exercise.

Burning off fat, absolutely. Increasing strength, possibly. Building additional lean mass? Nope--that takes a calorie surplus.

You ruled out steroids?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options

That's interesting, I had understood walking was the same as running for burning calories! Will definitely check her out. Thanks for that recommendation.
    I didnt measure anything but I'm quite muscular so I don't think I've put on much more. Thanks for the tip though.

Great that you ask. But no, walking burns less than half the calories of running. The difference is that when you walk one food always stays on the ground while with running you jump and both feet leave the ground. This, plus using much more muscles for performing these jumps costs much more energy.

Map my run, and the entries here are usually very off for many people. Not for everyone, mind. I think MMR also uses gross calories, which means you'd be double dipping.

gross calories: base metabolic rate (the calories your body burns anyway to stay alive) plus the energy you need for walking.
    net calories: only the exercise calories.

I would use a fairly simple equation for walking: 0.3 * your weight in pounds * distance in miles.
    This is for net calories, and should be fairly exact for most people unless you mainly walk uphill or downhill, or always with or against a strong storm.

Running, btw would be 0.68 * lbs * miles

Good luck with your weightloss. You can do it! <3