Gained 10lb in a weekend after going out to eat... two months of clean diet later, it's still there

Options
124»

Replies

• thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    12 pounds up would put me up TWO sizes. I can't even imagine that happening in a couple of days. Def see a dr.

This would be different from person to person depending on where you carry the weight, your personal size etc. With the excessive water retention I can experience I can wear the same size at 160 that I wore at 146.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    There's a limit to how helpful we can be without seeing your diary. Totally your choice. I've responded to a lot of posts where folks thought they were logging accurately, and it turns out they weren't.

You seem really hostile and angry. I realize how frustrating weight-loss is, but taking it out on folks that you've asked for help doesn't seem like the best strategy. You've negated or deflected most of the advice and suggestions you've received. Which, again, totally your choice!

Maybe if we try another approach we can be more helpful. What were you hoping to get out of the discussion?

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    How do your measurements of your waist, hips, arms, etc compare to those of a few months ago? Also, it would be great if you let us know if you do, or don't, end up having a medical thing going on. I think those of us who've read this whole thread are really interested in what caused the sudden 12 # jump.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Do your clothes fit different after the 10 lb gain? If not maybe it is your scale.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Do your clothes fit different after the 10 lb gain? If not maybe it is your scale.

I agree with this post.

If you haven't done so, check the scale's batteries or buy a new scale. My one-year-old digital scale has been giving me readings that are suddenly way off, even though I've replaced the batteries. That might be the case for you, too.

I hope you don't have a medical problem, but it looks like you're checking that out.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This would be very distressing to me as well. In addition to thyroid hormone panel, ask about Cushing's. Also are you bloated? Possible huge cyst?
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    This is unwanted advice, but at your rate of loss I would say you are either a) logging things incorrectly or b) overestimating exercise calories anyways. I would say it's b) overestimating exercise calories if you are logging and weighing everything which you say you are. Could be inaccurate database entries as well, but it's probably more likely you're overestimating the exercise calories. Doing a week of maintenance every other week isn't helping your rate of loss either.

All that aside, I would be curious to know if you've moved your scale and if you've been weighing the same way at the same time of day consistently everyday. I also wonder if you were low sodium before or low carb and now have increased intake of carbs or sodium. If I were you, I would look at my previous intake versus my current intake and see what's different.

Barring any medical problems, it could very well just be water weight from you intaking so much sodium.
  • its_me_april
    its_me_april Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I will admit I skimmed over the responses . . . have you been unusually stressed or had chronic issues with sleep? That could also be the culprit. Retaining that much water for so long would have me a bit worried. Do you feel bloated or swollen a lot of the time? Might be worth it to get checked out, or try a day or two with no salt and limited carbs to see if your body lets go of what is most likely a lot of retained water. I'm not sure how old you are, but your calories are very low and it sounds like they have been for a while. Your metabolism may be slowed as well--might be good to take a break and build it back up, then drop calories after things have stabilized a bit.

Does your body look different? I don't know about others, but I can tell when I'm retaining water as opposed to having gained real fat. It looks and feels different to me. My rings are tighter, my feet feel swollen, etc. . .

Anyway, good luck to you! That is very frustrating.