Zumba Class vs. Zumba Games

Options
Hello All!

I've heard so many great things about Zumba classes from coworkers and people on this site. Not being one to easily open up, I purchased the Zumba game for the Wii so that I can make a fool of myself in the comfort of my home instead of doing it in front of total strangers. :-)

My question is, does the game work similarly to the actual class? Can you work off as much weight/calories with the game as the class? Is there a benefit to one over the other?

Your input would be wonderful. Thank you!

Replies

• Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    To me they are very similar. You can guesstimate cals here w/o an hrm http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Zumba and I take Zumba classes twice a week. The Wii Zumba uses similar steps to the class that I take and it's actually helping me be better in the actuall classes. Calories burn is almost the same depending on how long I do the game.:happy:
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I have taken 3 classes so far and LOVE them! So I too went and bought the Wii game since I am only able to go to about one class a week. This is just my opinion, but since I'm new to Zumba and don't really know all the moves yet I feel like the game isn't as good at teaching it as the instructors in my class are. But it's still a good workout and if you've never tried the class then you may like it even better than I do. Good luck but if you can open up to a class I would highly recommend it...I'm really shy and hate being in front of people but when I finally talked myself into going to a class I found that no one really has time to pay much attention to anyone else since everyone is trying to keep up themselves!!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it all comes down to how much effort you put into it - regardless of where you do it (class or at home). I don't have a Zumba class in the near vicinity to attend, and for me it's much more convenient to work-out at home. I do 45 minutes daily either on the Wii game or a DVD - I put my *all* into it (I'm doing this for ME after all, and I want to do my best), and afterward I'm drenched and feel like I had the work-out of my life. :-)
  • Gretchen27
    Gretchen27 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have the game and go to classes and No I dont think that I am burning as much at home. The reason why is because I am not as motivated to move a when I am in class vs. being at home. I tend to want others to think I know what I am doing and work all that much harder. I do sweat more in class too. The game is good for getting down the moves because all of the Zumba stuff is one in the same from the same company. I think that U will like the game if U plan on going to a class soon because U wont feel lost or feel like U dont know what U are doing, good luck!!!
  • Gretchen27
    Gretchen27 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have the game andgo t classes and No I dont think that I am burnong as much. The reason why is because I am not as motivated to move a when I am in class vs. being at home. I tend to want others to think I know what I am doing and work all that much harder. I do sweat more in class too. The game is good for getting down the moves because all of the Zumba stuff is one in the same from the same company. I think that U will like the game if U plan on going to a class soon because U wont feel lost or feel like U dont know what U are doing, good luck!!!
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't speak for Wii Zumba, but I DO go to the classes. Classes always give me a real sense of peer pressure...I'm not GOOD at it and sometimes even bumble around having two left feet, but I get a darned good workout!! You'd be surprised...there are more people in MY class that are about as rythmically challenged as I am, but have a great time!! I'd be interested to hear if you enjoy doing it on Wii....I just enjoy the company of a class!
  • Butterbuns30
    Butterbuns30 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Zumba for WII for the same reason. I got discouraged once I tried it and sucked at it...lol. I will tell you that a few months ago I was working out and killing myself with the Just Dance and Just Dance 2. I did it for an hour a day and was killing it and losing inches which means a lot to me. I think I will try to do the Zumba again once all my rugrats are gone (babysitting for summer). Good luck!!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Myself, I have never played Wii Zumba, but 2 of my Zumba partners regularly "practice" with Wii Zumba and say it's pretty similar. I go to live classes only because 1. I don't have a Wii and 2. I have so much fun, even if I look retarded trying to learn new steps. Remember that everyone else who is there (except, hopefully the instructor!) probably feels the same way you do.

But that's just me :wink:
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    As a Zumba instructor, i would say that if you're uncomfortable being in front of a group of people, then do the Wii Zumba game. BUT, I believe you get better benefits from a class. When you're in a class, I believe you challenge yourself more.

The intensity, I believe is and can be higher in an actual class, if your instructor is good.

And everyone feels that way about coming into a class(afraid everyone is looking at them and how you feel awkward in a class) but in actuality, everyone is so concentrated on the routine that they don't bother with noticing someone else.

You do not need to know how to dance to do the routines...it's all about just moving. You modify for your fitness level what you can do because not everyone can do what the instructor is doing or how she/he does it or how anyone else does it. But what it does do is challenge you to try harder, when you're in a class..

Now this is coming from an instructor...see what others say...but if you still want to do the Wii game, do it!! You're still exercising and having fun!!
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wow! I was not expecting so many great responses!!

The game is fun and I am hoping that it will be a bridge to going to actual classes. Thank you all so much for your input!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I go to Zumba class at least once a week and I can guarantee there will be a number of people in there who don't know the moves, including me. :laugh: However, all of us are the to have fun and burn calories!! My instructor is so so enteraining and interactive, which I really enjoy!
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing with Playstation....LOL. I have not been to a class for the same reason as you. I think it works well though, even though at first I felt like I was dancing aimlessly. You can actually learn the routines really quick and I found after 20 minutes I am sweating a lot and when I am done I can defnitely feel it in my legs and stomache.
  • bymelya1
    bymelya1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I enjoy going to classes. The energy from everybody is great!! If you have a class near you you should try it. Not everybody is at the same level but everybody is there to have a good time and have a good workout. Just enjoy the party!!!
  • SparklyChar
    SparklyChar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been to Zumba classes, but then I purchased the Zumba for Kinect. I love it! There ARE disadvantages to a game setting...mainly the lack of variety. There's about 10 different classes, and once you've done each of those 30 times it kind of loses its freshness. However, for me the disadvantage to Zumba classes are two-fold: cost and...well, I just hate going out in the evening, especially in the winter! I'd much rather truck down to my basement and do a workout rather than bundle up, get in the car, drive 20 minutes, do a workout, bundle up again, drive home...etc. It just isn't as likely to happen. So, for me, the Zumba game works....simply because I'm much more likely to DO it. Which I did, 4-5 times a week from January until May....when the weather got nice. ;-)
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I honestly have never played the Wii game but would love to try it!! But I went to my first zumba class yesterday and I think it would be way better in person. I am shy and was VERY nervous before I went, but I went with 2 friends and it was SO MUCH FUN!!! I really don't think it would be the same experience in my home because you don't get to watch other people to learn from, you don't have a hyped up instructor, you don't get to laugh with your friends, and you don't feel the pressure to work your butt off the best you can. I know for me there is far more motivation in person, and I work out pretty hardcore IMO when I do it, but I still think in person is the best option. I would definitely suggest still doing the game though to learn the moves and practice, etc. Or maybe if there is a way to do it with a friend that could be more like the real experience! :)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my wii zumba and use it often with my 6year old daughter lol she likes to dance with mom so its our thing and we have fun with it. I`ve watched a class at the gym but haven`t joined in I`m just not a class person and I get a high impact at home trying to keep up with my daughter that has energy in spades lol
  • plv2010
    plv2010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love going to class, but it's only because I'm very unmotivated. I tried doing Zumba at home, but it was so easy for me to just turn the game off. I usually go to class and stand in the front of the room. It makes me stay, because I don't want to look like a weakling and walk away. And it forces me to try harder.
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    CLASSES! I love them, I'm canceling my gym membership cause its boring!.. go with a friend.!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The classes can be very different depending on the instructor. Some use Zumba moves plus other exercise moves. Some even add floor work, which is not Zumba. Some use modern music instead of the Zumba tunes, some use Zumba tunes exclusively and many use a combination. The games and DVDs stick strictly to the Zumba music and moves, but they are a great workout.