Vegans

Options
Okay, I have read a lot of info, and everything that I have read says that I need somewhere between 14-50 g of Protein. (which i don't have a problem getting) But my profile says that I need like 67. Does anybody else have this problem. what should I do?

Replies

• superduperbandnerd
    Options
    Okay, I have read a lot of info, and everything that I have read says that I need somewhere between 14-50 g of Protein. (which i don't have a problem getting) But my profile says that I need like 67. Does anybody else have this problem. what should I do?
  • MattySparky
    Options
    this is just a stab in the dark, but what about a vegetable based (vegan) protein shake? I know that when my wife was pregnant they had her on one which was fairly high in protein even for a protein shake. You can usually find them in health food stores, I think she bought hers through her naturopath.
  • superduperbandnerd
    Options
    never thought about that ... thank you.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    not a problem.... this is besides the point, but what kind of doggies do you have? My wife and I are total dog lovers!
  • superduperbandnerd
    Options
    We have a black lab and some sort of poodle mix .... we think. She was lost in a whole foods parking lot. Somebody was not very kind to here eather. She had bruses and scars all over her, and this was during the summer ( in TX) and so she was very dehydrated.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    I had a protein problem a few years ago... I lost a lot of muscle and was always sick... the doctor (naturalist) got me on two protein shakes a day. I drank Shaklee chocolate protein shake mixed with soy milk for three months. now I drink one for breakfast everyday and get all the protein I need for energy. But anyway protein is pretty awesome.

http://www.shaklee.com/products_prod_cinch.shtml
  • vegrunner
    Options
    I am vegan myself and have found many different studies regarding how much protein you need. I question the amount the food tracker says you need. Even then I rarely fall short of the food tracker goal. I tend to try to avoid protein powders because they are so highly processed. I eat oatmeal for breakfast, refried beans sometime during the day, whole grain breads like Food For Life (in freezer section of health food stores and some grocery stores), edamame (raw or roasted). I'm also a big fan of tofu steaks by Helen's Kitchen. I try to somewhat balance my grains and legumes to get the 8 essential amino acids. It was once thought that you had to eat both at the same time (i.e. beans and rice) so your body could assemble a complete protein but as long as you eat both sometime throughout the day you will be good.

I don't know if you're new or not to being vegan but my main piece of advice is to look to experts for advice. Doctors have a lot of knowledge concerning medicine but very little formal nutrition training, a friend of mine had only one week in med school. You can find many articles by nutritionists online that support and give advice for vegans.

Here is a link to athletes who have thrived while being strictly vegan:
    http://www.organicathlete.org/vegan-athletes

I hope I didn't blab on too much. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.