Lazy eating

Options
So I have discovered that one of my worst habits is ordering takeout due to being too tired or lazy to cook. To combat this I have found having easy to prepare meals at home works.

This is only a problem at evening and night times, I actually really enjoy cooking the rest of the time.

But my easy to prepare meals is a frozen pizza or anything I can shove in the oven for 20 minutes but a lot of the time it's cereal, the quicker the better.

So although these are better than ordering takeout, I still need to get to the next step of swapping these options for healthier ones.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Prep your evening meals on weekends, then when you get home from work, reach in the freezer, grab one, and nuke it.
  • sewiggle
    sewiggle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks JeromeBarry1, I did try batch cooking before but I got sick of eating the same thing. I may try again :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Crock pot. Having something waiting for you when you get home is heavenly, and you can't get take-out unless you waste the crock pot food.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of semi-homemade meals, because I don't like spending the money on takeout but I also don't like spending a lot of time cooking. (Plus, I'm only ever cooking for me or me + my BF, so when I batch cook I get really sick of eating the same things over and over). I'll make things like frozen fried rice from Trader Joe's and then add some scrambled eggs and extra vegetables, or I'll make refrigerated tortellini but add roasted vegetables and/or a big salad on the side.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Man I know how you feel. My DH and I slip into this habit a lot. In order to not eat out all the time, I try to keep quick things on hand, and make sure I have my meat thawed with whatever we will be having. Something like chicken breasts or steak only take 20-30 minutes to grill up and a side of veggies or a salad takes maybe 5 min to prepare. Provided you dont have to thaw meat when you get home. Also, dump and bake casseroles are nice too.(Tater tot casserole anyone?) Not the healthiest, but way better then a big greasey cheeseburger. I'm not a big meal prep on weekends person, but I have been known to cook a double batch of whatever I'm making so I can eat it for dinner twice. Or make something that I could turn into something else with the leftovers. We also literally have nacho/taco fixins on hand at all times, lol. I've been on a big salad kick lately, and those are quick to make and cheap usually. Also, I;ve been trying out a few sheet pan recipies too. Line a sheet pan with foil, throw everything on and bake. Convenient and No dishes!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried other frozen meals? There are some super tasty ones that are shockingly healthy and affordable! They take all of 6 minutes to heat up.

Some other quick easy foods are frozen precooked shrimp, pre cut raw chicken for stir fry (or steak), or pre cooked chicken sausage stir fry. I say stir fry, but I do a very simple version with just the meat, any veggies I have on hand, a little salt and pepper and olive oil. It only takes a few minutes to cook up!

We are like you, we order take out because we are too lazy to cook sometimes, so I try to make sure I always have quick/easy foods to cook on hand so that I don't do it.

Good luck!
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I prep 14 meals for myself on sundays. Old me used to fall into the same trap you are. Present me just grabs a meal out of the freezer that is packed with healthy goodness.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Instead of cereal, have oatmeal with some berries. Buy packaged salads or salad mix and pre-packaged chicken breast. Throw everything together. That's what I do- I hate cooking for myself as well. Pre-packaged food is great. Frozen ones get kinda blah.. refrigerated ones are better.
  • ftmfrank73
    ftmfrank73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips here
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    My best weight loss pal was the micro wave. Cooking was done on weekends.
  • sewiggle
    sewiggle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions, I'll be sure to try some of them out!!