Pregnant vegan

Options
Hi! I just found out in pregnant with number 5... it's quite the surprise. I lost 30 pounds last year from my last pregnancy and STILL had 40 pounds to go.
This pregnancy will be different than all my others since I will have my 1st vegan anniversary this october.

I guess I'm looking for help and support in not only staying healthy and vegan but also either maintaining or losing a bit more during the pregnancy.

Help!! Thanks on advance

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I would discuss this with your doctor, especially with your weight plans
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I have never been pregnant, but supplementation of B12 is always important for vegans (or consistently eating fortified food). If you aren't already supplementing, pregnancy is a great time to begin! I have read that other things pregnant vegans should consider supplementing are iodine and choline. Deva is a good brand for supplements and they make a vegan prenatal vitamin. It contains B12, iodine, and choline, as well as lots of other stuff.

Like @malibu927 said, letting your doctor know that you're vegan and interested in controlling your weight during pregnancy is a good idea.
  • lexidanko14
    lexidanko14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating enough and eating diverse foods with different micronutrients you should be set! Do your research on what different fruits and veggies have to offer as well as keeping your protein up. Congratulation on another baby <3<3o:)
  • adnerbsikadoil
    adnerbsikadoil Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking a prenatal, algae and flax oil, b12 and a b complex, and calcium. I have my first appointment at the end of the month when I am around 9 weeks with my midwife. I think my biggest concern is keeping up with my protein intake. I eat one pea protein shake a day. I cook lentils black beans quinoa chickpeas. I don't think I will easily hit the 70g a day requirement though. I teeter around 50g. I love soy but found out the hard way that have to avoid it. Any suggestions on other sources? Please keep in mind I'm pregnant and have 4 other kids. I need fast easy and nutritious. Lol
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Make sure you have B12 and iron! Lots of non vegan pregnant ladies become anemic so take vitamins and iron supplements if you have too, just get your levels checked often with your doctor.

Also take a prenatal vitamin everyday to ensure the baby has everything needed to grow strong!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Track your calcium if you don't drink milk, eat cheese or take a multivitamin.
  • dustbringer
    dustbringer Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently pregnant, but I've been a pregnant vegan in the past. :)

Do you eat much seitan? That's a good non-soy source of protein. The seitan Primal Strips are great for a snack, and I've never had a store-bought seitan I didn't like for use in recipes. There's also some good recipes for seitan sausages from Isa Chandra Moskowitz - they're from the book Vegan Brunch but you can find the recipes online with a little Googling. ;) My kids love them, so they're friendly for your current kids!

I also like the vegan Quorn naked cutlets for a protein source (they're not all vegan; the ones in the bag are vegan but the kind in the box are not).

For what it's worth, my doctor was 100% fine with me being vegan, and I've known lots of other healthy vegan pregnant ladies who gave birth to perfectly healthy babies. :)
  • adnerbsikadoil
    Options
    I do make seitan!! @dustbringer thanks for the reminder. I live in a vegan desert so I've had to learn to make alot from scratch. I make a monthly trip to whole foods/trader Joe's lol! Thanks for the encouragement. It's nice knowing it can be done:) I'll be doing a bit more research online. Appreciate the kinds words everyone!
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The book Vegan for Her, by Virginia Messina (a registered dietitian who is also vegan) has a chapter on vegan nutrition during pregnancy and lactation. This is a good source of science-based information on vegan nutrition.

As others have said, you'll want to discuss weight related goals during pregnancy with your healthcare provider.

If you're already eating a lot of legumes, adding some fake meat to your diet may help you meet protein needs (e.g. Gardein, Lightlife, Beyond Meat). Depending on the specific issues you've had with soy in the past, you might also consider trying different forms of soy. For example, some people find tofu made from sprouted soy beans or tempeh, which is fermented, easier to digest. (This is assuming the issue is digestive, and not severe. If you have an allergy or severe problems, this obviously wouldn't be the thing to do.)
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating enough and eating diverse foods with different micronutrients you should be set! Do your research on what different fruits and veggies have to offer as well as keeping your protein up. Congratulation on another baby <3<3o:)

This is not true. There are no reliable vegan sources of B12 other than supplements and fortified foods. There are also other nutrients on which vegans may fall short (e.g. iodine). Vegan diets aren't difficult or expensive to maintain, but you do need to pay attention to certain things--just like with any other diet. Please don't spread dangerous misinformation.
  • adnerbsikadoil
    Options
    Thanks @Cat3141 I'll look for that book!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Ask your OB to refer you to a registered dietitian. (This will be free 99% of the time with insurance because healthy moms and babies are cheaper.) The RD is an invaluable resource during pregnancy-- Use it!