How do you stick to your diet on the weekends?!?

Options
I do great all week but when the weekends come around I can't seem to stick to my diet at all!! Any tips??

Replies

• magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For me, I have to make a solid meal plan. If I have a plan I can usually stick with it.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Because I often know I will be drinking and eating out on weekends, I bank calories during the week. So I shave off about 100-200 calories on the weekdays. That way, I have more wiggle room.

I do this too. I know I can't be perfect all 7 days of the week and I plan for it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out why you struggle on weekends?

For some people, it's being around food more often. For others, it's social factors. Etc.
  • Erica0021
    Erica0021 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm normally 200 calories under my goal everyday so I guess a little extra on the weekends really won't hurt. Never thought about it that way!!
  • Erica0021
    Erica0021 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is that is normally when I get together with friends and family none of which who are dieting so we're usually cooking out or going out to a restaurant.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you like to go out, either on the weekend or during the week, definitely build that into your goals. You don't have to be in a deficit every single day to lose weight. I average by week and by month, so those days out don't stress me out. Just make sure you're not letting the "big" days get carried away!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Erica0021 wrote: »
    My biggest problem is that is normally when I get together with friends and family none of which who are dieting so we're usually cooking out or going out to a restaurant.

If you know which restaurants you are going to ahead of time you can Google the nutritional values and choose items that are lower cal.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    For me it's opposite. I find it way easier to stick to my calorie goal on weekends. Mostly because i don't have work related stress, which usually makes me want to eat more and also no usual temptations to fight off, like very visible fruit, candy and such, which we usually have at the office.
    Thankfully i don't go out as much as i used to, so that helps a lot too.
    One thing i have done, is to remove all kinds of temptations from home - so i never keep sugary treats of any kind and other similar stuff i cant resist at home.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I do great all week but when the weekends come around I can't seem to stick to my diet at all!! Any tips??

I log. Seriously if I didn't I would easily lose track. And I don't consider it a "diet". It's just how I eat. For me, logging my food is necessary, always. Been doing it for many years, don't plan on changing.

I generally don't like to eat out since that means I will be tempted to eat more than I should. So I prefer to make my own food, whenever possible.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Keep going... Cooking out and/or restaurants aren't inherently bad. So what is the real issue? Inability to control portions/intake? Inability to eye-ball a food item for calorie/macro counts? ... ?
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I do very clean eating on the weekdays . Friday night is my cheat meal and on Saturday and Sunday is the only time of the week that I allow myself to have a Quest Bar as a snack. The rest of the week is very clean with veggies, fruits and nothing processed. Yes, call me boring!
  • blh202
    blh202 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Meal planning and also just eating smaller portion sizes of those treats. Don't neglect yourself just make sure you have a calorie deficit.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm normally 200 calories under my goal everyday so I guess a little extra on the weekends really won't hurt. Never thought about it that way!!

You're buying yourself an extra 1000 calories to eat over the weekend, then. You might find it helpful to watch the weekly total or weekly average rather than daily.

You can even change your calorie goal from day to day if you find that helpful - eg say your goal is 1800, you can keep it at 1600 on weekdays, then change it on Saturday morning to 2300, then back to 1600 on Monday morning. I do this sometimes.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    You can even change your calorie goal from day to day if you find that helpful - eg say your goal is 1800, you can keep it at 1600 on weekdays, then change it on Saturday morning to 2300, then back to 1600 on Monday morning. I do this sometimes.

If you have the paid version, you can set different goals by day of the week - I really love this feature.
  • meka41
    meka41 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is all good to know because I find myself sometimes having a hard time on the weekend
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When I'm cutting weight I typically eat at maintenance on weekends.
  • Cynt214
    Cynt214 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Treat the weekends the same as weekdays. Plan ahead of time.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I know I'll be a bad boy on the weekend so I try and counter balance it by being a really good boy during the week. But I'm at the point in my life where I'm not trying to get in shape for a circuit or anything, so a little debauchery on the weekend is good with me. I just keep it reasonable.
    But if it is that important to you then plan a head, I use to prep my meals for the week on Sat and Sun, which also helped me to eat healthy during the weekends. And I stayed away from alcohol as well. But Daddy needs his snakebite medicine, so that didn't last long.
    Plan a head and you'll be fine.
    Good luck!