Anybody freeze eggs?

Options
Do you freeze your eggs after you cook them? What I usually do is cook eggs in a little bit of olive oil spray, cook till they are still a bit runny, and let them cool, and wrap two at a time in wax paper, and freeze. Problem is, they don't taste nearly as good that way, after I let them thaw, and microwave of course. You guys do it a different way?

Replies

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I see frozen egg products at the grocery store, but have never frozen my own cooked eggs at home. You're right, the texture seems 'off' when I have a frozen egg burrito. I'd love some tips for how to do it well, because I have considered making and freezing breakfast burritos.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Have you ever just scrambled an egg and put the dish in the microwave for a minute? Google how to microwave a scrambled egg.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I don't see a need to cook them any earlier than I need them. I mean, they take a few seconds to cook!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I freeze cooked eggs (McMuffin squares). But I let them thaw in the refrigerator the night before. I "warm" them in the microwave on lowish power. High heat makes them a bit rubbery.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the texture of cooked egg that's been frozen, it goes spongy and watery. I would just keep cooked egg in the fridge. You can cook them up once a week and they'll keep fine (if they're not in the shell, put them in an airtight container so they don't dry out and make the fridge smell).
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Ew no! Don't freeze cooked eggs unless you want to torture yourself. How long does it take to boil an egg anyway? Cripes.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Never froze egg on purpose, don't see the reason for it, since they cook so fast, but got my hard boiled eggs accidentally frozen because fridge temp was too cold, and they taste pretty bad
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    When you have minimal access to a stove, that's why I asked the question. I have my question answered now. Frozen eggs suck!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    HB is the way to go, IMO.
  • chris_james17
    chris_james17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I leave eggs ive boiled in the refrigerator after i cook them. I cook 8 at a time for breakfast and lunch
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://walmart.com/ip/Matt-Dana-Pickled-Eggs-12-gal/10451855

Actually the brand in our local WM is Knotts Food out of Paris TN. 24 egg jar is $13.00 with a shelf life of about a year. They are semi refrigerated at our local WM but WM has carried another brand on open shelves. It the house they sit on the cabinet but are gone in a few weeks. I do not like them cold but at room temperature.

The fresh boiled eggs have a shelve life of a few months but have to be refrigerated.

Freezing eggs does not sound right somehow. :)
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I cook, portion, freeze, and reheat egg based breakfast casseroles all the time. Never had a problem with the eggs texture being off - only sometimes the vegetables it contains, dependent on the vegetable in question, releasing a bit of water during reheating. I do not reheat in the microwave.

Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Wrap in aluminum foil envelope, put in oven on middle rack. Turn on oven and set for 350ºF. After oven finishes preheating (~10 minutes), continue reheating an additional 5-10 minutes if needed (usually not).

Open foil packet, transfer to plate, eat and enjoy!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    When you have minimal access to a stove, that's why I asked the question. I have my question answered now. Frozen eggs suck!

Do you have access to a microwave? Because you can scramble and poach eggs in the microwave no problem :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »

Do you have access to a microwave? Because you can scramble and poach eggs in the microwave no problem :)

I used to LOVE microwaved scrambled eggs when I was a kid. It was one of few things I could make for myself. I mixed them with milk and cooked for short durations until just about done, then topped with American cheese and gave them one last zap. Then the ketchup. I'm about to start drooling just thinking about it.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Wow! My dumb butt didn't even think about that!!! Yes yes yes I have a microwave. Thanks a bunch!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Wow! My dumb butt didn't even think about that!!! Yes yes yes I have a microwave. Thanks a bunch!

I generally try not to think with my butt. Although admittedly, some days it's all that's available.