JUICING!

Options
What does everyone think about juicing?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I personally am not in favour of juicing. Not only does drinking calories not help fill me up but juicing removed some of the essential nutrients in the food. Would much prefer to eat my fruit and vegetables instead. Smoothies are better because at least then you are still having the nutrients.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Boring, expensive and a lot of cleanup.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    1. Takes out all the fiber. A vitamix would rock 100 times over.
    2. Can take a half hour to clean. A vitamix is super easy.
    3. Vitamix can also make soups, etc.

Many people say they put the fiber in cookies. Do you really want to complicate your life that much? Hours in the kitchen.
    Go to costco and get a vitamix or ninja instead. I think juicing is making a comeback from a youtube documentary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that juicers are a pain to clean. I also don't like drinking calories and think the fiber from fruit and veg are important, so for those reasons I don't do it. I think if you love juices and don't mind those things it's fine.

I enjoy smoothies, but have them as an occasional summer breakfast or snack rather than a staple meal, since I more often prefer eating the same fruits and veg. When I do a smoothie I make it similar to how I'd do any other meal, including protein, some fat (homemade nut milk or avocado work for this, or full fat dairy), and more vegetables than fruit. But playing with combinations can be fun.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    A waste of calories. I'd rather eat food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    If I want juice, I'll go buy it at the store and not worry so much about making my own. Believe it or not, the body can't tell the difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Maybe people do not know they can throw veggies and fruit in a powerful mixer and drink it. Add a bit of water so it can blend easily.
    Last night I had a low-sodium v8. Made life easy.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    "Juicing," the practice of replacing whole foods with juice, is a fundamentally unhealthy practice. Fruit and vegetable juices with the pulp removed are digested too rapidly and spike blood glucose levels. They also lack many of the nutrients of whole fruits and vegetables.

Recently, the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a recommendation that juice consumption be limited for children as follows:
    --under age 1: No juice
    --age 1-3: 4 oz. (1/4 cup) per day maximum
    --age 4-6: 4-6 oz. (1/4 to 3/8 cup) per day maximum
    --age 7-18: 8 oz. (1 cup) per day maximum

Arguably, all of us should restrict our juice consumption or avoid it altogether. Juicing is not at all a healthy practice. If you wish to drink your fruits and vegetables, make smoothies with a blender not juices with a juicer. Better yet, eat them whole or chopped.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Too many calories. I eat 2-4 servings of fruit (berries, banana, 2 small kiwi or an orange) and that usually is about 250-300 calories already :-( I could eat or drink fruit all day, but well, I need other macros, too!!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Did you mean 2 oz? 4 oz is half a cup.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    eliminating juice from my diet (aside from mimosas of course) was the easiest way i ever cut calories. it does nothing to satisfy my hunger, lacks the fiber in whole fruits and veg and generally does nothing for me. occasionally i may have a juice if one sounds particularly delicious - beets, carrots, ginger, orange - but that's maybe 2-3 times per year.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Did you mean 2 oz? 4 oz is half a cup.

You're right. Here it is corrected:

Recently, the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a recommendation that juice consumption be limited for children as follows:
    --under age 1: No juice
    --age 1-3: 4 oz. (1/2 cup) per day maximum
    --age 4-6: 4-6 oz. (1/2 to 3/4 cup) per day maximum
    --age 7-18: 8 oz. (1 cup) per day maximum
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,212 Member
    Options
    Just eat the fruit and veggies whole: Healthier & more satisfying.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Options
    @megansims1 why did you choose a juicer over a high powered mixer? Just curious. Green drinks can be made with both and I am at a loss why anyone would not want the fiber mixed in.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Maybe people do not know they can throw veggies and fruit in a powerful mixer and drink it. Add a bit of water so it can blend easily.
    Last night I had a low-sodium v8. Made life easy.
    Yep. Here's more:

https://www.campbells.com/v8/v8-veggie-blends/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I own a Vitamix and perhaps it's user error, but I can't get it to juice things. It'll puree the heck out of the ingredients, but I want juice. Thin, liquidy juice. (Note: I LOVE my Vitamix. It's worth every penny!)

That said, I just bought a juicer after years of back and forth on whether I "needed" one. So far, I am in love! I don't preach juicing as any sort of diet tool, but I enjoy a glass of freshly made juice. The juicer I purchased is easy to clean (5 mins max!) and makes beautiful, thin, liquidy juice just like I want it. Sure, I might lose some nutrients, but I "eat" more fruits and veggies by juicing so overall it works for me.

Think it all depends on your expectations...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I own a Vitamix and perhaps it's user error, but I can't get it to juice things. It'll puree the heck out of the ingredients, but I want juice. Thin, liquidy juice. (Note: I LOVE my Vitamix. It's worth every penny!)

That said, I just bought a juicer after years of back and forth on whether I "needed" one. So far, I am in love! I don't preach juicing as any sort of diet tool, but I enjoy a glass of freshly made juice. The juicer I purchased is easy to clean (5 mins max!) and makes beautiful, thin, liquidy juice just like I want it. Sure, I might lose some nutrients, but I "eat" more fruits and veggies by juicing so overall it works for me.

Think it all depends on your expectations...

Vitamix is not a juicer, it's a blender that would make shakes (if you add liquids or your items have high water content) or make puree if your items have a relatively low water content. Juicers are built specifically to extract juice and separate it from pulp. If you want juice you would need to manually separate the pulp by passing your purees through a few folds of cheesecloth or a clean pillow case.
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Vitamix is not a juicer, it's a blender that would make shakes (if you add liquids or your items have high water content) or make puree if your items have a relatively low water content. Juicers are built specifically to extract juice and separate it from pulp. If you want juice you would need to manually separate the pulp by passing your purees through a few folds of cheesecloth or a clean pillow case.

Yeah, I guess that's my point. Everyone says you can juice with a Vitamix.... but the end result isn't "juice" so it's just not what I was going for. :smile:
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Nah.
    You lose all the fibre/some of the other goodness by juicing.

I dont mind Kale (mention kale, as a lot of ppl juice to add it in & disguise it) ... but its kinda nice sauteed with a teeny bit of oil. And eaten normally ie for dinner!