Excercise & Panic Attacks anyone?

Options
Hey y'all! :):)
I've been struggling with anxiety & severe panic disorder for 5 years now. Whenever I start to workout and my breathing becomes a little labored, I start to hyperventilate and then I go into a full blown panic attack & I feel like I'm about to pass out.

It's really killing the intensity in which I want to work out. Anyone in the same boat? Any ideas to overcome this? HELP! :s

Replies

• deb19692004
    deb19692004 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi I have the same issues as you do!! Not fun at all. I was constantly checking my heart rate on my fitbit and bring on panic attacks, Dr told me to shut off the heart rate on my fitbit and that has helped, but still when my breathing gets labored I go into but another panic attack :neutral: Would love to see if anyone has any ideas to help.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Are you seeing a medical/psychiatrist professional to help address this "severe" disorder? I don't think all the internet advice in the world is adequate to resolve this type of problem.
    In the meantime, workout at whatever intensity you are comfortable. It is better than not working out.
    Wishing you the best.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    goldiejdb wrote: »
    I've been struggling with anxiety & severe panic disorder for 5 years now. Whenever I start to workout and my breathing becomes a little labored, I start to hyperventilate and then I go into a full blown panic attack & I feel like I'm about to pass out.

It's really killing the intensity in which I want to work out. Anyone in the same boat? Any ideas to overcome this? HELP! :s

Breathe. Simple, but I'm not kidding. Take a deep breath in and hold it for eight seconds, then exhale slowly for the same number of seconds. Keep at it as long as it takes to help you calm down. The idea behind it is that the slow breathing not only tries to take your focus on something else but helps your body to switch out from anxiety mode. It's always worked for me and been my go-to when I feel the symptoms kicking in. Also second the notion of going to see someone to help you with your anxiety disorder. I had good success with Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, but ymmv.
  • goldiejdb
    goldiejdb Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen to me before. I remember that once when I went to the gym I hopped on the elliptical and everything was great until I realized that I was breathing a bit heavy and then I starting thinking about how heavy I was breathing and then I couldn't stop. I had to hop off it asap and go back into the locker room and change because I just couldn't do it. I felt lightheaded and maybe like I could pass out but I knew it was just my anxiety.

Since then, whenever that happens I try to distract myself from it. If I notice that my breathing is a bit laboured, which of course it would be because a) I have asthma so that sometimes happens and b) I'm exercising so I'm working harder than normal, I just say things to myself like, "okay, just ten more minutes of this and then I'm good. What should I do afterwards? Maybe I'll have a bath later. Maybe I'll make X for dinner. Look at that man over there, what the hell is he wearing?" Things like that. Most of the time that works for me. I also take a few deep breaths to try and relax.

If that doesn't work for you, don't be ashamed to take it easy. I've done it before where I've purposefully not gone really hard on the bike and I've taken an easier ride but I stay on the bike longer in order to burn the same amount of calories. It can take time to get used to exercising and how it makes your body feel but you'll get there.

These are some great suggestions &
    really helps. I will definitely use this. Thank you!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I often had this when I first began running, despite being medicated for my anxiety and panic disorder. I would find that if I noticed my breathing was irregular, I couldn't focus on anything but that. And at the time, I was helping supervise a student running club, so panic attacks weren't an option.

I'm not sure what kind of exercise you are doing, but counting my steps and aligning my breathing helped if I did it from the get go. So ever two steps I would inhale, next two I would exhale, etc. During this time, I couldn't have headphones, so that was my only distraction. But when I could run with them, I would also really focus on the music's beat or actually lip sync, so my mind was elsewhere.

The times that I could not control it, I would slow whatever I was doing down and let my heart rate come down. A slow workout is better than no workout. Essentially it boils down to convincing yourself that you are not dying despite your body trying to say otherwise (unless you have asthma).

I have noticed that now that my cardiovascular fitness is better, these attacks are less frequent if at all. But it also might be worth being up to your doctor if you continue to struggle.
  • goldiejdb
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Are you seeing a medical/psychiatrist professional to help address this "severe" disorder? I don't think all the internet advice in the world is adequate to resolve this type of problem.
    In the meantime, workout at whatever intensity you are comfortable. It is better than not working out.
    Wishing you the best.

Yes, I do see a therapist and psychiatrist and I am on medication for my panic. I was really just reaching out to see if anyone else goes through this themselves &
    Could provide ways they cope. But thank you
  • goldiejdb
    Options

Breathe. Simple, but I'm not kidding. Take a deep breath in and hold it for eight seconds, then exhale slowly for the same number of seconds. Keep at it as long as it takes to help you calm down. The idea behind it is that the slow breathing not only tries to take your focus on something else but helps your body to switch out from anxiety mode. It's always worked for me and been my go-to when I feel the symptoms kicking in. Also second the notion of going to see someone to help you with your anxiety disorder. I had good success with Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, but ymmv.

I'm definitely gonna try to focus on my breathing more. I'm actively have a psychiatrist and therapist
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I find that if I keep going, even if I have to decrease effort for a little while and focus on breathing properly, it usually passes within 5-10 minutes and then everything is cool from then on. The last thing you want to do is start avoiding exercise, since exercise is so therapeutic for anxiety disorders. Next time you see your therapist, see if you can develop some immediate strategies for dealing with this kind of scenario when it happens. Good luck! <3
  • goldiejdb
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I find that if I keep going, even if I have to decrease effort for a little while and focus on breathing properly, it usually passes within 5-10 minutes and then everything is cool from then on. The last thing you want to do is start avoiding exercise, since exercise is so therapeutic for anxiety disorders. Next time you see your therapist, see if you can develop some immediate strategies for dealing with this kind of scenario when it happens. Good luck! <3

I just have to push through it. Thank you for your advice
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be a tricky proposition. It is likely that, long-term, exercise can help with the chronic symptoms of anxiety.

However, an exercise workout imposes an acute load on the body which might temporarily provoke more serious symptoms. (In my case, significant arrhythmia). In the past, at times I had to take weeks off from exercising, because it made everything worse.

Here is what helped/helps for me:

1. Getting certain aspects of my life under control, esp caffeine intake, sleep, and diet.

2. Having enough diagnostic work done that I knew I wasn't going to have a heart attack--it gave me confidence to keep going through the intitial "wave" of symptoms and they often subsided.

3. Forget about trying to do a "real"workout, and just do some low-level exercise. This has proven to be quite helpful. It allows me to inch my way out of the pit, so to speak, and establish a new "base" from which I can progress farther.
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I couldn't work out for months due to panic attacks. Great advice here on breathing, etc. Because working out hard mimics some of my panic attack symptoms, and I'm afraid of panic attacks, it would start a spiral. I had to start slow and tough it out. Run two minutes, feel the panic coming on, stop running, control it as much as possible. Next day was three minutes. After a while I convinced myself that if it was something to panic and die over, I would've already. Also, being outside and keeping cool helped a lot. Hang in there. Panic attacks suck.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I use to have exercise induced panic attacks all the time when I first started working out. It's scary as hell. What helped me was switching to more low impact workouts (I use videos) You get the elevated heart rate without feeling like you're going to collapse at the end. It's a win win.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I get this too,sometimes its low blood sugar so I make sure I eat before and after exercise
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I sometimes experience anxiety / panic attack symptoms at the beginning of my workout - when that happens, I slow down my movements, take some deep breaths, and keep going. By the time I hit the 10 minute mark, I'm usually grounded enough to kick things back up.

Depending on how intense your symptoms are, you may want to consult your doctor.
  • goldiejdb
    Options
    I use to have exercise induced panic attacks all the time when I first started working out. It's scary as hell. What helped me was switching to more low impact workouts (I use videos) You get the elevated heart rate without feeling like you're going to collapse at the end. It's a win win.

That's what I'm trying to do with Zumba. By the way I love your username lol
  • goldiejdb
    Options
    rgbmore wrote: »
    I couldn't work out for months due to panic attacks. Great advice here on breathing, etc. Because working out hard mimics some of my panic attack symptoms, and I'm afraid of panic attacks, it would start a spiral. I had to start slow and tough it out. Run two minutes, feel the panic coming on, stop running, control it as much as possible. Next day was three minutes. After a while I convinced myself that if it was something to panic and die over, I would've already. Also, being outside and keeping cool helped a lot. Hang in there. Panic attacks suck.

Sometimes my body forgets that. If it was something to panic and die over I already would've lol. That's something I definitely need to keep at the forefront of my mind. I'm gonna keep hanging :smile:
  • bnemacheck
    bnemacheck Posts: 2 Member
    Options

• goldiejdb
    Options
    Any tips on how to stop hyperventilating when working out? It's really stopping me from working out as hard as I want to. Panic attacks are seriously the devil
  • lovetolose17
    lovetolose17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Deep breaths. Also, do you practice "grounding?" Google it. A few people have sort of described it above, but it's a technique that can "pull" you out of the panic. Also, I like to count my steps to get a rhythm going. Then I align my breathing with it.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Are you certain it's a panic attack? Years ago my 15 year old daughter thought the same thing, she would get panic attacks. Then one day she had one after drinking a Red Bull and thought she was going to have a heart attack. We rushed her to the ER and found out she had Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome. It's an extra pathway in her heart, when she would get her heart rate up high enough it wouldn't slow down, it would get stuck in a loop. They fixed it finally by burning the extra pathway (it was a same day outpatient thing) by going in through an artery in her leg. Anyway my point is see a doctor if you have not.