What supplements do you take?

Options

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    A multivitamin and sometimes calcium supplements if I don't feel like I have gotten enough of that throughout the day.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    CL White Flood + CL Green Mag (Pre-Workout + Creatine Chelate) - I train fasted so this gives me energy without calories
    Scivation Xtend BCAA's - For recovery
    Orange Triad Multi - A to Z plus Joint and Flex, Plus Digestion, Plus Immunity
    CL Fish Oil
    Magnum Quattro 4 stage Isolate Protein - For when I can't get the protein I need from whole foods

controlled labs makes solid products

i take a multi, fish oil, protein, and creatine
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamin. Whey protien. Creatine. Currently testing oxyelite pro (got a free sample).
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge supplement guy. Most of them are garbage but here are some that work:

Protein
    BCAA
    Multi
    Fish Oil
    Creatine

There are others, but these are pretty well documented to work.

So, I take Protein shakes maybe once per day, BCAA pre/mid/post workout, Multi and Fish Oil.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Yea the only reason I take White Flood right now is because I'm doing IF and training fasted in the morning. Before I started taking it, on my Upper Body days I would crash after chest and back. I mean crash hard. No longer have that problem. In fact, after about 30 minutes of consuming WF, I feel like I want to throw chairs. :)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I used to be a supplement junkie. Up to 50 pills a day! That was before the invention of the internet where through research, I've found only whey protein and creatine worth anything. So that's all I take now.

Multivitamin and fish oil bro?

I was going to add those two as well. Those 4 are all anyone needs.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Yea the only reason I take White Flood right now is because I'm doing IF and training fasted in the morning. Before I started taking it, on my Upper Body days I would crash after chest and back. I mean crash hard. No longer have that problem. In fact, after about 30 minutes of consuming WF, I feel like I want to throw chairs. :)

Preworkout sups for energy are cool, if you need them. They work for that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I take Vitamin D, a B-Complex that includes B & C vitamins and fish oil pills.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    For the folks discussing the purity and efficacy of vitamins, meaningful differences in can primarily be seen in pharmaceutical grade vs. food grade.....and food grade is what the vast majority of us consume.

Interesting about Creatine too...I've been dismissing it for years and didn't know people still took them. Something for me to look into! ....and to think how much more Jack3d I would be now if I had just taken my #&$^#-en creatine. :smile:
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I try to get a lot of variety in my diet with veggies and nuts and stuff but since I'm a vegetarian (and vegan-ish) I take a B12 supplement (since that's really just in animal products), a Vitamin D supplement (since most of us are deficient in this and it's been linked to breast cancer. My Mom is a recent survivor so I'm making double sure to get enough Vitamin D now), and I take a Green Superfood supplement just as an extra kick to my health. :)

I have felt so much better taking all of these- although I'm sure my new diet and lifestyle are certainly helping, too.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin and protein powder (1 scoop a day at most if I'm lacking protein).
  • joejccva71
    Options
    For the folks discussing the purity and efficacy of vitamins, meaningful differences in can primarily be seen in pharmaceutical grade vs. food grade.....and food grade is what the vast majority of us consume.

Interesting about Creatine too...I've been dismissing it for years and didn't know people still took them. Something for me to look into! ....and to think how much more Jack3d I would be now if I had just taken my #&$^#-en creatine. :smile:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/873.html

Also here is more:
    J Strength Cond Res. 2004 May;18(2):311-5.
    Mg2+-creatine chelate and a low-dose creatine supplementation regimen improve exercise performance.
    Selsby JT, DiSilvestro RA, Devor ST.
    SourceSection of Sport and Exercise Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA.

Abstract
    We tested the hypotheses that, compared with a placebo group or creatine (Cr) group, a Mg(2+)-Cr chelate group would demonstrate improvements in the 1 repetition maximum (1RM) on the bench press and be able to perform more work at 70% of the 1RM for the bench press. Thirty-one weight-trained men were randomly assigned in a double-blind manner to a placebo group (multidextran), a Cr group (2.5 g of Cr daily), or a Mg(2+)-Cr group (2.5 g of Cr daily). Baseline data were collected for the bench press 1RM and maximal work completed during a fatigue set at 70% of the 1RM. Following 10 days of Cr supplementation, follow-up tests were completed for the dependent variables. Groups were similar when the change in 1RM was evaluated either absolutely or relatively. Both the Cr and the Mg(2+)-Cr groups had significantly larger increases in work, both absolutely and relatively, when compared with the placebo group. Partial support for the hypothesis suggests that low doses of Cr are effective at increasing fiber Cr content, and consequently, performance. Further, the Cr and Mg(2+)-Cr groups were similar in both performance tests, suggesting that the proposed mechanism of entry is no better than the conventional method when 2.5 g of Cr is administered and performance is measured as work. This study raises the possibility that a low dose of Cr may be an effective means of enhancing performance after short-term ingestion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15142029
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Ok it looks like everyone has a pretty good idea of what to take. And I would like to add my opinion. I believe in the staples multi/fish oil/ creatine/ glutamine / protein. One thing I seen mentioned a lot was creatine. Creatine monhydrate has ruled the market for many years when it came to body building. A newer version of creatine is kre-alkalyn creatine. It requires no loading no cycling and has zero water retention for most. Not to mention the amounts you have to take is much much less. Great product in my eyes. Made the switch 6 months ago and never looked back. Second I haven't heard mentioned is beta alinine. This is becoming more popular in pre workout products and I believe to be a great supplement. Possibly the best discovery of benefits since creatine. Check out www.betaalanine.info/ you will find this product very usefully no matter what kind of athlete you are. It's the stuff that makes you feel all tingly in preworkout formulas. I've been using for 4 months and have to say I'm amazed.

Now to get all chemistry on guys about creatine and how it actually works.

Creatine is initially stored in the muscle as creatine phosphate. As this it can give its phosphate group to ADP. ADP is the end result of used ATP (fuel for muscle contraction) ATP loses its phosphate group when use then become ADP. When creatine phosphate gives the ADP its phosphate group its converting it back to ATP which is then available again as a fuel source for muscle contraction. This is only one of three ways your body creates ATP to use for muscular contraction. Sorry to get all chemistry 101 on you. I feel its helpful to know what these supp. Are actually doing for you so you know if its worth while taking. Although some studies have been done to prove creatine uptake is greater in muscles just worked out. Evidence is non conclusive. So my advice then if your splitting is to take some with breakfast and some preworkout. When your using it post, your allowing your body other natural muscle contractions. I.e walking to use some of that available creatine. By taking it in the morning and preworkout your closing the time window in which in can be used by other daily muscular contractions I.e. walking, getting out of bed.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Ok it looks like everyone has a pretty good idea of what to take. And I would like to add my opinion. I believe in the staples multi/fish oil/ creatine/ glutamine / protein. One thing I seen mentioned a lot was creatine. Creatine monhydrate has ruled the market for many years when it came to body building. A newer version of creatine is kre-alkalyn creatine. It requires no loading no cycling and has zero water retention for most. Not to mention the amounts you have to take is much much less. Great product in my eyes. Made the switch 6 months ago and never looked back. Second I haven't heard mentioned is beta alinine. This is becoming more popular in pre workout products and I believe to be a great supplement. Possibly the best discovery of benefits since creatine. Check out www.betaalanine.info/ you will find this product very usefully no matter what kind of athlete you are. It's the stuff that makes you feel all tingly in preworkout formulas. I've been using for 4 months and have to say I'm amazed.

Now to get all chemistry on guys about creatine and how it actually works.

Creatine is initially stored in the muscle as creatine phosphate. As this it can give its phosphate group to ADP. ADP is the end result of used ATP (fuel for muscle contraction) ATP loses its phosphate group when use then become ADP. When creatine phosphate gives the ADP its phosphate group its converting it back to ATP which is then available again as a fuel source for muscle contraction. This is only one of three ways your body creates ATP to use for muscular contraction. Sorry to get all chemistry 101 on you. I feel its helpful to know what these supp. Are actually doing for you so you know if its worth while taking. Although some studies have been done to prove creatine uptake is greater in muscles just worked out. Evidence is non conclusive. So my advice then if your splitting is to take some with breakfast and some preworkout. When your using it post, your allowing your body other natural muscle contractions. I.e walking to use some of that available creatine. By taking it in the morning and preworkout your closing the time window in which in can be used by other daily muscular contractions I.e. walking, getting out of bed.

Alleyag- I used to take monohydrate (5g) last year and drank a little over a gallon of water a day and it bloated the F out of me. Granted it worked ok, but I like chelate better to be honest.

Just saying.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    [/quote]

Alleyag- I used to take monohydrate (5g) last year and drank a little over a gallon of water a day and it bloated the F out of me. Granted it worked ok, but I like chelate better to be honest.

Just saying.
    [/quote]

Yea I take the kre alkalyn now by scifit and love it. Never tried the chelate but I'm content with the stuff I'm taking now.
  • takm0527
    takm0527 Posts: 53
    Options
    Multi vitamin
    Vitamin C

Dr Rec:
    Fish oil
    Calcium w/ Vit D

Never used to be one for vitamins until I watched Food Matters (Netflix)...great documentary if you have not seen it. Talks a lot about where our fruits and veg come from and that they can be a week old before they hit the supermarket...so unless you are buying local and eating in season you probably are not getting as many vitamins from your food as you think you are...real eye opener.

They have done studies that show the "organic" and "local" veggies have similar nutritive contents (vitamins, minerals, etc) as the generic kind. The idea that they are nutrient-stripped is just false.

I agree local/organic/in season is the way to go...but living in Iowa...there isn't a whole lot of that except for a few months in the summer...and only veggies...not fruit.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    ON Casein Protein
    ON Whey Protein
    ON Opti-men Multi Vitamin
    ON Glutamine
    ON BCAA's
    Zinc
    Fish Oil
    Flax Seed Oil
    Flax Seed Meal
    Vitamin C
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I take:

Women's one a day (won a bunch of multi-vitamin awards)
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin (knees + joints)
    Fish Oil (all over...plus I really can't seem to get enough fish in my diet)
    Vitamin B-12 in a sublingual tablet (I have CFS so I need B-12...plus sublingual really makes it absorb rather than be flushed away)