Washing hair everyday...

Options
LittleMissAlx
LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
I do some form of active exercise everyday, and having long thick hair, I feel sweaty if I don't wash it when I shower afterwards.

But I have noticed that the last few days my hair has been sticky at the back once it's dried - I've tried using different shampoos, cutting out conditioner, made sure I've washed everything out of my hair so it's not just residue...

Am I simply washing my hair too much? If that's the case, I guess I'll have to cut it back somehow - does anyone else have a similar problem or any suggestions?

Thanks x

Replies

• JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Long, thick, curly, coarse hair and I work out every morning. My hair is starting to protest being washed every day by getting dried out. I am now doubling up on leave in conditioner after my shower in the am and it helps some. Good luck!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have to wash my hair every day too, and that has happened to me occasionally. Sometimes it's build up, sometimes I think I don't rinse out all the shampoo (I don't know why--tired? hair is long and thick?), and sometimes I think it's sunscreen (I'm out on the water almost every day so constantly spraying it on.

I have also found that certain shampoos/conditioners just are not right for my hair and after a few days my hair is feeling icky. I generally stick by my tried and true Kerastase (expensive) and Garnier Fructis (cheap). I switch between them every few weeks.

Anyway, 2 things I have found to get rid of the slick:

Wash hair with dish soap
    Wash hair with baby shampoo

Boom, done :)

blessings.
  • JWeaser
    Options
    I've heard that too Sleepytexan. Once a month wash with Dawn dish soap. I've never tried it though.
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I have the same issue. However our water is very hard and my hair tends to get weird on me, so a tip i learned was to add baking soda to my soap and it makes my hair feel sooo much nicer!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Try using shampoo e/o day. When you shower and don't use shampoo, wet the hair down, rub the scalp like you would do if you were washing the hair, use half the normal amount of conditioner (not on the scalp just the bottom half), clip it on top of your head and continue with the normal body washing. After everything else is washed rinse the hair very well with cooler water. I have a hand held shower head so I usually bend at the waist when I rinse to keep the conditioner off the rest of my clean body.

My hair had gotten very dry and frizzy at the ends (with long, fine, thick, layered wavy hair it wasn't pretty). I had been shampooing every day, sometimes twice a day. I love the Garnier Fructis triple moisture products. I usually let my hair dry naturally (no products) and I don't get that sticky spot on my scalp anymore from the build up. When I use the blow dryer (with products) I have to use the iron to smooth my hair back down or it is very fluffy. You can use an apple cider vinegar rinse on your hair to help get rid of the buildup.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair everyday. Sometimes I get that icky feeling around the hair that is close to my neck. I make sure I scrub good there. Also helps my hair to use a different shampoo once a week to help remove the buildup that occurs with my normal shampoo. I also condition everyday (leaving it on for 2 minutes). Pantiene makes a deep conditioner that I use once a week when I use the other shampoo. It comes in a little tub. I LOVE it!
  • atay18
    atay18 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Is it oily? Sometimes, if you are constantly washing your hair/scalp (or face), you are stripping away the natural oils. The body will then go into overdrive to produce more oil, causing it to look oily. Try shampooing every other day, or every 3rd day. It may look more oily at first, but will settle itself out after a week or so. Baking soda and water does make a nice clense, I used to do that in college. I personally wash my significantly less then most people and no one has ever thought my hair looked gross.
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    I do some form of active exercise everyday, and having long thick hair, I feel sweaty if I don't wash it when I shower afterwards.

But I have noticed that the last few days my hair has been sticky at the back once it's dried - I've tried using different shampoos, cutting out conditioner, made sure I've washed everything out of my hair so it's not just residue...

Am I simply washing my hair too much? If that's the case, I guess I'll have to cut it back somehow - does anyone else have a similar problem or any suggestions?

Thanks x

Have you ever tried dry shampoo in between washes?

http://www.tresemme.com/Products/Fresh-Start/Fresh-Start-Dry-Shampoo/
  • cjcarson87
    cjcarson87 Posts: 31
    Options
    omg omg omg. STOP! this is the number 1 misconception with women i swear. I went to Paul Mitchell hair school ( im in finance now, dont ask ) and my instructor practically beat me when I told him I washed my hair daily. I have thick wavy blond hair and it was never as smooth or frizz free as I wanted it to be. I tried everything but always had bad results. Sure enough, when I started washing every other day, like my intructor told me I HAD to do, my hair is 10000x better. Put it up in a clip when you shower on your off days! Unless you have oily scalp and fine hair there is no reason to wash you hair everyday. Your striping it of its essential oils and damaging it worse than you could imagine.
  • JWeaser
    Options
    omg omg omg. STOP! this is the number 1 misconception with women i swear. I went to Paul Mitchell hair school ( im in finance now, dont ask ) and my instructor practically beat me when I told him I washed my hair daily. I have thick wavy blond hair and it was never as smooth or frizz free as I wanted it to be. I tried everything but always had bad results. Sure enough, when I started washing every other day, like my intructor told me I HAD to do, my hair is 10000x better. Put it up in a clip when you shower on your off days! Unless you have oily scalp and fine hair there is no reason to wash you hair everyday. Your striping it of its essential oils and damaging it worse than you could imagine.

Here is my issue. I am currently doing JM 30DS levels 1 & 2 back to back and my hair is soaked 3-4 inches from the scalp down every day. Even if I let it air dry after, it gets itchy by early evening.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Well I have been told that a million times, and I am 43 years old now. I have tried many many times over the course of my life to skip days of washing. FLAT OUT DOES NOT WORK. I have oily fine, thick straight hair that is almost waist-length. I work out EVERY day; sometimes twice. There is no way to skip washing MY hair. Also washing daily has not hurt my hair one bit, in fact my hair is my best feature--it is shiny, smooth and very healthy. I do not process it in any way.

However, my daughter has thick, coarse curly hair that hangs below her 3-year old bootie (she is Armenian) and I can go 5 days without washing hers; it always looks great. Interestingly, people always compliment us BOTH on our hair :)
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    Have you tried Neutrogena clarifying shampoo? Also, only put conditioner on the bottom 2/3 of your hair.

It is possible that you are washing your hair too frequently for your hair/scalp type.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I have really oily fine hair and sweating everyday exercising, I HAVE to wash everyday (only once per day though.) I use Suave clarifying shampoo everyday mixed in with my Dove 2n1 daily moisture. I also use Ion leave in conditioner. The clarifying shampoo keeps the build up from occurring and keeps my hair nice and clean.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have long, fine hair, and I'll alternate between washing plus conditioning one day, then just conditioning the next (with a light conditioner). This way, I'm still getting rid of gunk, but not killing my hair. I hope this helps!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair daily and have for most of my life. I find I have this problem whenever I use a shampoo that is supposed to leave your hair shiney.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo has been a hair savor for me...I work out early AM and have to be at work within an hour of finishing my workout. I do not have time to shower, wash hair and get make-up on in that time frame. The dry shampoo keeps my hair looking great all day long and my hair actually styles better during the day.( I do shower and wash my hair at night).
  • Tralee1111
    Tralee1111 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I'n the past, I have used WEN by Chaz Dean. I love it but it's expensive. If you want to try and ues ot after your work outs, you may want to try their introductory package, which is usually $29. You can go to their website or they sell it on QVC for great prices.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options

yes this! i used to do hair as well. If you dont have to wash it everyday dont. It does everything she just said. I personally have an oily scalp and its just gross to me to go a day without washing it. I have actually tried it and one day I couldnt take it so i actually left work early to go home and wash my hair. What works for one person doesnt work for another.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I used to wash my hair everyday when it was down to my elbows because when I didn't wash it I felt absolutely disgusting. Something about dirty/oily hair rubbing on my neck just makes me cringe. My hair is shorter now since I cut out a perm (most of it) I do not wash everyday. The main reason is because it is so freaking fried and damaged its not even funny so washing it everyday just puts a toll on it. I have very dry skin and I never sweat even with working out... I may get perspiration going but nothing soaking wet. So for me to get my hair moisturized by natural oils I have to let it go for a day or two. With it being short I can ignore the whole dirty/oily hair feeling...

Plus with my lifestyle of constantly having to move around I don't have time to straighten it every day for 30+ minutes. Plus I can't as that is damaging to the hair anyways... Even when I'm working out everyday I take full advantage of my lack of sweating to let it go for another day. I shower twice a day otherwise just not my hair. I am also deep conditioning my hair every time I wash it and I use moisturizing serum, no shampoo, and also use a spray on shine stuff to help make it healthier looking.

I recommend doing what _you_ think is best as we are all different. I just thought I'd share what I am doing at the moment for my frizzy fragile hair.