Serious Question

Options
_CMS_
_CMS_ Posts: 4 Member
I'm sorry for asking such a serious question, but I'm trying to keep this issue from friends and family. How do you deal with normal life when a close family member has been diagnosed with cancer. I don't quite understand how to find the importance in things like work and even my own running and biking seems to be quite silly. It's still in the very early stages of discovery so I don't know what will happen yet, but the what-ifs and worst case scenarios are eating at me making it almost impossible to focus on the tasks at hand. I also just want to be alone and can't seem to interact with others without seeming completely distracted which makes me feel guilty for being a bad friend/coworker. Thanks.

Replies

• ChrisNels1
    ChrisNels1 Posts: 16,638 Member
    Options
    So sorry this is touching your life. And fully understand the initial shock which eliminates the importance of the 'normal' every day life. But, you will need to be there for your family member and you need to be stronger to shoulder more of the load. So do take care of yourself. You can't be good for them if you aren't good for you.
    Hugs and best of luck.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Normal life takes the hindmost. Deal what's big in front of you. Best wishes. Many cancers can be cured, and the rate at which medical discovery is advancing in the fight against cancer is accelerating.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,505 Member
    Options
    [ the rate at which medical discovery is advancing in the fight against cancer is accelerating.

this so true...... also,

educate yourself the best that you can, be supportive and remember to take good care of yourself.

Godspeed.
  • LindaCan2
    LindaCan2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Take care of yourself and realize that we all have tough times in our lives. Try to be positive and pray for peace for yourself and that the doctors will find the right treatment for your loved one. Life is tough, but with God's help, you can get through this. May God bless you and your loved ones.
  • YearOfTheDragonLeo
    YearOfTheDragonLeo Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Circle of Control. You can't control it, so you just keep going forward.
  • _CMS_
    _CMS_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. We got a bit of good news with the CT Scan today, clear except for the known tumor- hopefully a surgical removal of the one tumor is all that will be required. I'm still scared but am thankful for your replies.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    My father had 9 bypasses spread out between 3 surgeries starting in the early 80s to 2001. The one thing I had to learn, at an early age, was to control my emotions by being ok with whatever the outcome might be. What I mean is that no matter what might come down the pike, you and your family will face it head on and do everything you can to overcome it. That type of thinking helped us take as much control over a situation that we could.