50+ female needing to lose 30-70 lbs

Options
cherubs9801
cherubs9801 Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hello Everyone:

I'm new to the MyFitnessPal. After years of struggling with weight problems, I've decided to start tracking my calories and implement strength training. Any suggestions to staty motivated and lose weight? Looking for support.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Hello, Welcome to MFP! Making mini goals helps me, check out this group and join us. We start a new thread each week with small attainable, mini goals. Even if you don't meet the mini goals perfectly. The goal is to stay mindful and be consistent not perfect and if you do this you will eventually reach your ultimate goals. Check out link and feel free to join us: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/625-mini-goal-one-week-challenge
  • HopefulMeD
    HopefulMeD Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Also 50+ and set 20-pound goal after yo-yo-ing for 9 months. I had previously lost a significant amount of weight, much more than 20 pounds, slowly but with lots of regular exercise. That was a number of years ago and I managed to keep it off until nine months ago when injuries made exercise virtually impossible. And of course, with injuries and some other things that came up, eating was a comfort.

Needless to say, the problem with using food to comfort yourself, especially if you can't exercise, you gain. If I can actually lose the 20, I'll go for 5 or 10 more, which is my former comfortable weight.

One of the things I'm struggling with is patients. For sure, it is harder to lose as you get older, definitely harder if exercise is limited or nearly nonexistent, and patience patience patience is required.

It's hard!

I just started with this app. I am finding that tracking absolutely everything I eat and drink is making me more aware not only of calories, but of nutrition. (Nutrition is important!) So I think this is going to help. It's only been a few days, but so far so good!
  • JoanSloan1
    JoanSloan1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am 60 and looking at a 50lb loss ahead of me. Hoping to find inspiration and support and also support in return x
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 50, six months in, approx 50 pounds down, at least that much to go. Persistence matters, if you find yourself getting frustrated remember that stopping doesn't nust mean staying at your current weight it probably means you will gain. Start slowly, if you find you've made too many changes to keep up forgive yourself for being human, decide what has priority and let go of the rest for a while. Remember this is not a sprint.
  • greenrn90
    greenrn90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,58 and overweight most of my life. Daughter just moved to CA so more air travel in future. Would like to be healthier and comfortable. pre-diabetic so more important than ever to get my life together. Be happy to be supportive in exchange for some encouragement. Everyday is new, let's make today's count!
  • madserenity5
    madserenity5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm new here, I paid $500 and just finished a 6 week challenge (today) to lose 20 pounds. If I lose the 20. They refund the $500. I'm happy to say I released a total of 25.4 pounds.

I weighed in 6/17 at 235 pounds
    Today my weigh out was 209.6. My goal is to soon be at 170.

I will no longer do another challenge. I wanted to become a member but at $180 it was very steep being a single mother, but plan to lose weight with the help of fitness pal.

I know I'm not able to do this alone. I hope to meet like minded people ready to get and stay healthy.

My name is Sherie, Please reach out and say hello...
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    HI folks. I'm almost 68 and wanting to lose 35 pounds.
  • Sissisoli
    Sissisoli Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I admire you!!! I am 45 and wanna lose around 60 pounds. Just started a week ago and so far am happy but I wanted to ask you what about extra skin? Do you have a lot due to the fact that you lost weight in so little time? And wrinkles? Sorry to ask but I really trying to avoid this coz I wouldn't go through surgery and that's what's freaking me out from loosing weight :) Good luck to all of us and never give up!!
  • ImKaren768
    ImKaren768 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 have lost 61 pounds still got another good 50 I want to lose. Lately dieting is either baby steps or backward steps. I truthfully need encouragement to get exercising....walking and treadmills just.bore me to tears!
  • mazwez
    mazwez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 57 and need to lose 90 pounds. I have been diligent to record my eating and staying under calorie limit for 3 weeks. Just this small beginning has given me momentum, that I don't want to lose. I am ready to start adding exercise and resistant training again, waiting for the victory on the scale - slow going.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Sissisoli, not sure who you were referring to, but 50 pounds is not enough to give me loose skin, you can stop once you lose enough that you start noticing a problem,
  • CWJuly2017
    CWJuly2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 55 and looking to get back on the weightless wagon. I've managed to keep 30 pounds off for a few years, but really need to muse about 50+ more.
    We all need support on this journey.....
  • MzRuthy
    MzRuthy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hello. I need to lose 50lb
  • CWJuly2017
    CWJuly2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP.. don't know how to friend request yet
  • memeevans996
    memeevans996 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Go to friends. There you can add people using mfp name, or email. Good luck and welcome.
  • memeevans996
    Options
    pamfgil wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 50, six months in, approx 50 pounds down, at least that much to go. Persistence matters, if you find yourself getting frustrated remember that stopping doesn't nust mean staying at your current weight it probably means you will gain. Start slowly, if you find you've made too many changes to keep up forgive yourself for being human, decide what has priority and let go of the rest for a while. Remember this is not a sprint.

Wow! 50 lbs. in 6 months is absolutely phenomenal!. Congratulations on doing such a great job.

I was 57 when I finally decided the weight I had been lugging around since I was in my 40's had to come off. My goal was to lose 43 pounds. I started slowly incorporating new habits. For me, changing everything in my life would just prove too frustrating and I knew I would just give up. I began by logging on my foods, then began to exercise, first a couple days a week and then building up to every day. Once those became habits I added other good habits like drinking more water.

I just celebrated my 61st birthday last week, I have lost 54 pounds. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't lose it after a certain age, it is just not true. Just be patient, expect setbacks, be kind to yourself, celebrate every little victory.

The best of luck to everyone.

• memeevans996
    Options
    Be kind to yourself,.. celebrate every little victory.
    Thank you. So simple, yet we forget to enjoy this journey don't we? I appreciate your post.