Chronic pain and weight loss?

Options
For anyone out there who battles chronic pain/illness, how do you deal with it and trying to lose weight?

I have been searching for a diagnosis for several years now and have been misdiagnosed several times. I've treated out of state at a specialty hospital and they can't seem to figure it out. My blood work is 3x what it should be and I'm riddled with inflammation. Working out is hard for me to do with the pain and overwhelming fatigue and I'm really struggling with feeling depressed about it all.

Replies

• cholloway88
    cholloway88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @TeacupsAndToning WBC was almost double last time but they had me pumped full of steroids. ANA, CRP, and Sed rate are all elevated. I've seen two rheumatologists and about to see a 3rd and none of them can figure out what is wrong.
  • Heather_MXP
    Heather_MXP Posts: 48 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I have problems with my feet (metatarsalgia as well as nerve damage). So exercise is really hard for me and I get really frustrated/depressed about it. Mindfulness has really helped me. Are you familiar with that idea? It's basically stepping outside what you're experience and looking at it differently. (Among other things.) Dan Harris compared it to stepping behind the water fall rather than being in it (our emotions, physical experiences, etc). It doesn't get rid of the pain. My feet are still as problematic as ever. But I've handled it better and it hasn't held me back as much as it has in the past. Sorry you're dealing with pain. Hope you get feeling better soon. :smile:
  • NR81206
    NR81206 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have Chiari Malformation.. I take medicine for it and have been advised by a neurologist to have surgery, however I don't have insurance. So for now I deal with it, I still work 84 hours a pay period and now I work out 3-4x a week (my PCP says it's okay). Some days my symptoms are worse then others and my head and body just kills me, but since changing my diet and working out I feel like it has helped me more mentally and even physically then anything else. I don't have anyone else with Chiari to talk too since it's not a common thing (even though Google says it is.) I also stay away from Chiari support groups because most of them say to not work or workout because it will only make you worse, but I'm sorry I can't stay in bed all day, bills don't get paid that way. If you need a friend who can kinda relate, your more then welcome to add me.
  • RainSerana
    RainSerana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have chronic back pain and frequent migraines, no diagnosis on either yet. I also deal with PTSD and depression/anxiety stemming from that, so motivation is a fleeting, elusive thing for me. Also I live in South Texas, so going outside means skin melting off my face for 5 months out of the year.

I get brief periods where I get a lot done, like meal prep, chores, and even a workout, but it's like I use up the whole month's allotment of energy in a day or two. I want to feel that way all the time, not just every several weeks if I'm lucky.
  • tonyabrwn
    tonyabrwn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with chronic pain and doctor visits just leave me irritated and disappointed. I made up my mind that until I lose the weight I've gained the last 3 years, I may never know if it's the weight ( I've been overweight since a child) or something deeper. Now that I have kinda forced my physician to focus only on weight loss, I feel better just knowing someone is counting on me to take accountability. Some days waking up and getting out of bed is such a struggle. Dealing with pain when all you want to do is take walk outside is depressing and people just don't understand how hard it is to do simple tasks. Sometimes my pain is so severe that my arm or leg turns numb and I can't do much with a numb limb for weeks. I know that I've gained weight because of the pain and how depressing it can be. Now I know I have to overcome this and it starts one day at a time, one meal at a time, one effort of physical activity at a time. I understand your post and I appreciate you opening this discussion.
  • Akkael
    Akkael Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 back surgeries and my thyroid removed due to cancer. Pain and exhaustionis are daily struggles. I finally came to a point after this last surgery that I'm going to push through it (some days ...like today it's rough). My endocrinologist has told me I won't be able to lose much more than 20# due to my metabolism. My goal is to prove her wrong as well as be as healthy as I can be. How do I get through it? 5 minutes at a time. When I'm exercising I tell myself just 5 more minutes.
  • chrissymoore06
    chrissymoore06 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Im sorry your going through this. My mother went through this too and was finally diagnosed with Bachets. Try doing thing that are easy on your joints. Swimming is a great option and is gentle on your body. The ymca even has a heated pool and Jacuzzi that will help ease some of your pain. Be patient with your self and keep postive. You can do this and you are stronger then what attacks you.
  • chrissymoore06
    chrissymoore06 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have bulging discs in my lower back,fused bones in my lower neck and have fibromyalgia. As well as hypothyroidism. I understand the struggle with weightloss struggles and pain. Its really is more the mind set you get into. The mind has the power to change how you feel. I try to stay positive. I lose ounces not pounds but it all adds up and progress is progress. Keep at it and dont give up you can and will overcome this.
  • cholloway88
    Options
    @RainSerana Not having a diagnosis is probably the most frustrating part! And I live in Oklahoma, so I totally get the whole "face melting outside" situation! Positive vibes that you get the answers you need :)
  • cholloway88
    Options
    @tonyabrwn I believe in being open. I want to break the stigma of mental illness and chronic pain and I think that people who suffer from either should be taken as serious as someone with a broken leg. It sounds like you have a good system going on with your physician, which is a great start! Like you said, one day at a time :)
  • cholloway88
    Options
    @Akkael I admire you for continuing to fight and push through everything life has thrown at you! 5 minutes at a time is a great way of thinking. You can push through anything for a short amount of time and before you know it, you've done more than you thought you could! Thank you for the kind words and I hope you prove your doctor wrong!
  • cholloway88
    Options
    @chrissymoore06 I'm glad to hear your mom got a diagnosis! Not knowing is seriously the worst part. I think that's what gets me down the most is knowing that I know something is wrong but no one can seem to figure it out. Thank you for the words of encouragement and I think it's great how strong you are! Swimming is definitely something I try to take advantage of when I have the opportunity because it's one thing that doesn't cause me a ton of pain to do.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have Haemochromatosis. Common symptoms include: feeling very tired all the time and joint pain.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    For anyone out there who battles chronic pain/illness, how do you deal with it and trying to lose weight?

I have been searching for a diagnosis for several years now and have been misdiagnosed several times. I've treated out of state at a specialty hospital and they can't seem to figure it out. My blood work is 3x what it should be and I'm riddled with inflammation. Working out is hard for me to do with the pain and overwhelming fatigue and I'm really struggling with feeling depressed about it all.

I suck it up, take my painkillers if I need to and work through the pain. I have EDS type 3, and two years ago weighed 290lb and couldn't walk across the room without crutches. If I allowed my pain to stop me then I would still be in the same position, or heavier and in a wheelchair or dead. Besides I find the feel good hormones from a tough workout have a pain relieving effect and I can forget about my aches and pains for a while.
  • rosey0104
    rosey0104 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Migraines, PCOS, and Muscular Dystrophy so I 500% get you. I've figured out that if I feel good then I use that time to work out. Whether it be the morning before my body gets worn out or at night if just sitting down for a while and relaxing after work helps me get that energy back. I take lots of advil and have learned that drinking water helps sometimes for me personally.

It took me about twelve years to get a diagnosis and a kinda sorta treatment plan since there isn't really any true cure for any of my current issues. I get shots in my joints about every six months that help for a little while.

I've figured out that its okay to feel like complete crap while working out and wanting to die while on the elliptical or rowing machine. I still get through the workout but stop if I feel my legs giving out and move to another type of cardio or just do weight training that day where I am sitting down. It takes a lot of experimentation to figure out what won't wear you out or what you can do just to do something on the complete crap days.
  • thetortagirl
    thetortagirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly just celebrate the little victories, (im 21 with fibromyalgia and clinical depression) we may struggle more, and not lose weight as fast as everyone else but just take it one day at a time. Im looking for fibro buddies! Feel free to add me