Sardines in olive oil. Trader Joe's

Options
These are so good. > 200 calories.

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    While my DH may agree with you, I'm gonna have to hard pass. Not a fan of sardines. :lol:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Love them. Love the ones from costco too. Especially on a salad. YUM.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I love 'em. My SO is a fan of the ones in mustard sauce but I like mine pure.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The king Oscar jalapeño are my favorite!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I buy cheap canned sardines, tuna, salmon and mackeral (as low as $1/can) where ever I can find it as a cheap source of protein.

In terms of cals, canned in water is better than in oil. Same applies to all other canned seafood. But taste and texture canned in oil seems better to me than water.

I always buy canned in water but sometimes drain the can and add a tbsp of high quality EVOO, salt and pepper to improve the taste b4 eating it straight out of the can for a snack w/or w/o crackers.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I get the no salt added in water from TJ's. I mash them up and mix them like tuna salad and eat them on crackers.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like sardines in olive oil. I usually drain and keep the oil to use as dressing in salads.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Did you mean <200 calories?

10/10 for 'canned in olive oil'. I really hate the texture of fish canned in water, it squeaks on my teeth and sticks to the roof of my mouth. I decided a long time ago that having the kind canned in oil is worth the calories. I drain off the extra oil anyway.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Stole an idea from someone on Facebook and paired sardines with cottage cheese. Pretty damned good, actually.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Stole an idea from someone on Facebook and paired sardines with cottage cheese. Pretty damned good, actually.

I like both of those individually but am not positive I'd like them together.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

I like both of those individually but am not positive I'd like them together.

How do people eat sardines? Like do you just mash and put it on a sandwich? Or does it pair well with rice? I used to eat them straight out of the can as a snack but would like to experiment with making an actual meal.
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My favorites are the King Oscar ones (although I'll eat a huge swath of them) and my favorite way to eat them is to dump them (oil and all) on top of a salad. Then I get my protein and salad dressing in one shot. Delicious.

I have to say that the Aldi brand sardines are gross. I think they're in soybean oil, and they don't pull out the spines so it just has this awful mouth feel... gross...
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This just takes me right back to childhood memories of watching my parents eat them straight from the can on saltine crackers...
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    mranlett wrote: »
    I have to say that the Aldi brand sardines are gross. I think they're in soybean oil, and they don't pull out the spines so it just has this awful mouth feel... gross...

I didn't think they ever take the bones out, do they? They're meant to be well enough cooked that the bones are edible. If they still feel hard or spiky, they didn't cook it long enough.

(I love the little crunchy bones! >:):D )
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I didn't think they ever take the bones out, do they? They're meant to be well enough cooked that the bones are edible. If they still feel hard or spiky, they didn't cook it long enough.

Bones are never taken out of sardines.

Never had a problem eating them; always soft. Not sure if that's due to cooking or the sterilization or pasteurization process.

Would probably be too costly to try to remove them. Besides, they add calcium to your diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Okay, must try this.