Food intolerances

Options
jon2412
jon2412 Posts: 61 Member
Onions.

I quite like onion: onion rings, in a hot dog, pickled, and often in soups and other dishes.
Unfortunately, over recent years, I have developed an intolerance to onion, sometimes I can get away with it, other times not. (I know it's onion after quite a lot of having/but having with and in other foods and things)

Yesterday evening was a not. We went out to a local carvery and had a lovely dinner. Lots of veg like carrots, broccoli, peas which I all love and so had plenty of on my plate. I also like stuffing so had a dollop of that too!

I ate it all, it was brilliant, nice crunchy carrots, turkey and beef were delicious and so on. After a few hours of watching some favourite programmes I experienced a very sore tummy. I got bloated, I had lots of gurgling, it's was painful and I felt sick, there are other effects on the digestive system but I'm not going to describe them here!

I hate onions!! I have vouched to never eat them again, it's just not worth it! I'm still sore this morning, headache and feeling a bit yucky. Onion is everywhere! Okay so cheese and onion crisps is an obvious one (and yes that sets me off) but onion powder seems to be one of those ingredients that is snuck into quite a few foods, until I started looking, I just didn't realise!

I don't think I will be able to eliminate it altogether perhaps significantly reduce it though! I know that tomlose weight I still need to eat better and exercise more, I just wonder if removing onion as much as I can can only help me feel better and maybe means I'll get better at dropping some weight.

How does anyone else cope with common food item intolerance? Do you get similar effects? Can you eat a little or avoid it altogether?

Replies

• shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You should visit your doctor and discuss the decision to make sure there isn't some underlying medical issue. I think that's the main advice you'll get.

That being said, I quit eating meat for years because every time I tried my stomach would swell within a few minutes, got a headache, and basically felt like I had swallowed a brick. It was terrible. However, instead of seeking a medical opinion I just dramatically altered my diet, which helped pave the way (though not directly responsible for) for an eating disorder and nutrient deficiencies. My hair still hasn't recovered and it's been 5 years.

Eliminating onions probably won't lead to a result like mine, but it's still a good idea to be cautious and seek out a doctor/dietician/gastroenterologist/someone before you start eliminating things that generally shouldn't be causing you any problems.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I work around them a lot. We have very limited tolerance for tomatoes and onions, despite the fact that we love them. I can only digest cooked and wrung out spinach. Walnuts and melon are a problem. Hubby cannot eat barley. So, I cook around any food sensitivities.

For example, it took a few false starts but I finally have a "bolognese" (Italian meat sauce) that can be made without any tomatoes by using roasted red peppers. Salsa is a problem so last night I made my first no-tomato salsa out of frozen apricots and it was really good.

I did end up getting a diagnosed list of food sensitivities from an ENT/Allergist. The overnight GERD resulting from my undiagnosed sensitivities was causing over 20 years of chronic sinus infections. I control the GERD through diet and a daily PPI and now can go a couple years without a sinus infection.

By eliminating tomato and onions totally for a good while, I find I can now add back in limited amounts of them if they are thoroughly cooked. We also find now that shallots and Vidalia onions in small amounts don't seem to get us as badly. I say we and us, because hubby has similar sensitivities to some things.

One way I found some interesting onion-free recipes is looking for Jain recipes. The Jains, a group from India, do not eat onions and other things grown underground for religious reasons.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Steak...any kind other then sirloin messes with my tummy.

Lately ground turkey had been giving me a little issue... Im hoping it goes away as I eat that alot. I'm running out of meats I like that I can eat haha.

Honestly I think it's the fatty meats that bother me. Although they always taste the best.

I'm allergic to shellfish. And I live at the beach... So it's everywhere.. I can't eat anything fried if it's fried I the same fryer as shrimp. I slay have to be very careful with sushi (which I love). It's a pain when looking at menus, plus I love love love fish and chips... But I can't get it much. I grew up eating it to.. So booo on me

There's even some medicine I have to avoid because of that...
    It's not a fun rollercoaster
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I can imagine onion would be very difficult to avoid when eating anything you didn't prepare from scratch yourself.

Cooking your own meals from scratch is the best way to avoid food intolerance. Also, when using purchased premade items don't be shy about calling the 1-800 number provided on the package to ask about ingredients or production methods. The same can be done in restaurants. Explain that you have a food intolerance and ask for your food to be prepared without onion or onion powder.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Raw onions can upset my stomach within a few minutes. It sucks because i used to love red onion slices on my sandwiches.

My father always had an issue with any and all onions. BUT he decided a couple years ago to try to build a tolerance since onions have so many health benefits. But taking it very slow, he was successful and now eats onions quite a bit with no stomach issues!! I may try that at some point but for now I just saute them for at least 20 min and they don't bother me.
  • duebedm
    duebedm Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Nuts, coconut, peanuts, fatty meats, high-fat dairy to include cheese, yogurt, ice cream, and butter. Most of the time, I do the cooking so I can control what's going in. I've found very little processed foods that I can tolerate without having massive migraines, so yeah...my cooking has improved. My work team is starting to enjoy the fruits of my labors in the kitchen. We have a monthly potluck and today I brought in a Lemony Basil Chicken Quinoa salad and it was disappearing! (I found it on the twohealthykitchens.blog) Even the boys who won't eat veggies were eating 2nds and 3rds.
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Dairy, Wheat, nightshades, salicylates, pinapple, papaya, and today had a reaction to Teff. Possibly red meat also. Living on, Fish chicken egg, non nightshade veg and fruit. EVOO and Coconut oil at the moment.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was sensitive to eggs... then I did a Whole30 and discovered that it wasn't the eggs, but the butter I was cooking them in that was making me sick. Go figure! Dairy and shellfish are bad for my stomach, wheat makes me cough like crazy, soy puts me to sleep. The soy one sucks because soy is in EVERYTHING pre-packaged... forget eating protein bars or frozen dinners or soups (and of course edamame or tofu)!
  • froogal
    froogal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im lactose intolerant. No cheese, cream, ice cream, yogurt milk and anything made with them (I love cheesecake but it hates me). Finally found a yogurt I can eat as 90% of the lactose is removed. Skyr Icelandic yogurt, strawberry flavour. I don't eat a lot of protein in meat form and none in dairy form(because of the lactose intolerance) ,and this has led to a b12 deficiency so the yogurt is really helping. 16g protein per pot! I've had to reorder my entire way of eating just to get the correct balance of nutrients.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I also have issues with onions. Used to love raw onion but the stomach ache just isn't worth it anymore.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Our household has many issues lol. I have an autistic daughter, who thankfully doesn't seem to have any intolerances/allergies, just picky. And my partner has crohn's. In his case we've found intolerance to: pepper, most spices, green veggies, red meat and possibly butter. Actually when it comes to veggies it's mostly potatoes, carrots and turnips he'll eat. He does love his onions but has to be careful how much he has and in what combo. Some combos of foods are weird. He can have both items but put them together and he has a reaction.
  • curiouskate
    curiouskate Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease so no gluten. Found out about it 2 years ago (at age 37). It's kind of a blessing in disguise because it means a whole lot of food is just off the table. I can't eat fast food even if I wanted to.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I get uncomfortably gassy from garlic in quantity (or even small amounts if it's raw). In the past I have slowly slowly increased the amount I eat regularly until I no longer had a problem but I've been unwilling to try that again lately. It's somewhat the same with onions, although I can tolerate what I would consider normal amounts. My daughter, who often does the cooking, is an onion fiend. She tests my limits.

My husband is lactose intolerant but managed to eat moderate quantities of dairy for years without too many problems. It's only since he stopped having it altogether that he has become super sensitive.
  • pal274
    pal274 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I discovered my intolerances to Sulfites about 3 years ago. Sulfites being many preservatives in foods, also including Onions, Garlic as well as many vegetables and dried fruits, and more.
    I am still learning what I can and cannot tolerate. During this time I also developed problems with Milk products. I started getting painful gas and bloating from any kind of milk. So I now drink Lactose-Free Milk or Rice Milk.
    I recently seem to have become intolerant to a lot of foods with Salicylates in them after drinking some red raspberry wine. That was the thing that overflowed my Salicylate bucket so to speak. So now I keep a food and symptom diary as I am still learning about both Sulfites & Salicylates. You should try to see what foods you can handle and not handle. Keeping a journal lets you look back and see what time you ate something and see if you can match it up to the symptom/reaction you may have had. Sometimes reactions/symptoms won't show up for days, sometimes it is only hours depending on the food.
    Look up information on Sulfites, also spelled Sulphites. So many food products contain garlic and that is a big trigger for a lot of people who are intolerant to sulfites. I get migraines from just being in the same room where onions and/or garlic are cut or cooked. I get an itchy scratchy throat and swelled tongue from anything onions or garlic. I am not eating as good as I should. I had to cut out so many foods, including a lot of fruits and vegetables. It really sucks but for me, it is working for now.
    As I learn what I can handle and not handle I slowly add or subtract foods. I wish you luck in your searches and hope you can find what works for you. It is very frustrating a times. But when you can go even one day without a reaction from any foods or even smells it is something to be thankful for.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Casien a1 protien. I'm allergic to it, anaphylactic shock allergic. Which means: no dairy for me, at all.
  • jon2412
    jon2412 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So many experiences of food intolerance! Sort of glad to know I'm not the only one with a problem with onions but of course would rather none of us suffer at all!