Maintain?

Options
Hi,

I currently weigh 100 pounds and I'm trying to gain at least 15 back. My goal is to eat 2,400 calories a day until I get to that point. I'm 5 foot 4, and jog 2 miles a day in 22 minutes and walk 3 miles. Is 2,400 calories going to be enough to make me gain at least half a pound a week? That is what's MyFitnessPal claims I need to consume in order to gain half a pound a week being very active.

Also, is the jogging and walking I do considering me to be very active? Thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Only way to know is to try it.

"Very Active" (or whatever MFP calls it) is referring to your regular daily activity - so your job, your housework, or whatever you do that isn't purposeful exercise. So using MFP, you would add in more calories on days you run/walk distances.

You're just going to have to try it for a month and see what happens.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I guess I am wondering what a 100 lb woman, who is as active as you are could eat that would add up to 2400 calories a day?

5783im2u4sej.jpg

Are we missing some context here? Why did you lose the 15 lbs - was it planned? Was it due to stress / illness?
    You are "underweight" and still "jog 2 miles a day in 22 minutes and walk 3 miles"?

Have you thought about adding strength training / muscle bulking?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Give it a go and adjust as necessary.
  • journeyrock92
    journeyrock92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I guess I am wondering what a 100 lb woman, who is as active as you are could eat that would add up to 2400 calories a day?

5783im2u4sej.jpg

Are we missing some context here? Why did you lose the 15 lbs - was it planned? Was it due to stress / illness?
    You are "underweight" and still "jog 2 miles a day in 22 minutes and walk 3 miles"?

Have you thought about adding strength training / muscle bulking?

I didn't mean to lose it. It mainly came from abusing the treadmill at the gym. Recently quit the membership so that I could focus more on gaining back what I lost, but I still would like to do this cardio. Even if it's 5 miles, it doesn't even compare to the amount I was burning abusing the treadmill.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm heavier than you but I put on 3lb on holiday last year eating 2,400-2,800 (greedy me!). it took a lot longer than 2 weeks to get it off, of course!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The number you quote seems reasonable because you are quite active. It doesn't need to be spot on. Focus on great nutrition and add some strength training-- easiest is to go to a class.

Another approach is to type in your stats, set for "gain .5lbs" and "sedentary," then enter your activities into MFP on a daily basis and let it calculate what you need, aiming to eat all the exercise calories in addition to the regular allotment.

I am no expert, but I understand that being underweight can be a serious problem. It's great that you are addressing it. I encourage you to speak to professionals, including your doctor and a nutritionist.

PS. You posted this is under the "Goal: maintain weight." It certainly fits better in "Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building," although some body builders have pretty extreme nutrition ideas!

Best of luck!
  • geltner2
    geltner2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How much strength training do you do? Adding muscle tissue is so healthful as well as beautiful. It's a habit to start and continue. Once you start, you'll probably want to continue.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It seems a good place to start. If you aren't gaining or you are gaining too quickly, then adjust.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I always start with creme brûlée at every meal. Works like a charm. Or the Ben & Jerrys vegan ice cream called 7 layer bar. It has legit healthy stuff.