Awkward...what do ya say?

Options

Replies

• schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'll be bruttaly honest and say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! I worked hard to get me where I'm at, damn sure I'm proud of it!! Yeah it does make me blush, esp when a guy says it but otherwise I'm more than happy to tell them...

1. How much I've lost
    2. How long its taken me
    3. What I do monday through to sunday about my exercise regime
    4. How many miles I run
    5. How many miles I'd like to run
    6. How much I love running
    7. How much I love Jillian Michaels
    8. What my starting inches were
    9. What my inches were yesterday
    10. What inches I would like
    11.If I had time to workout this morning
    12. What workout I'm looking forward to tonight
    13. How much I love my Polar F11F
    14. How many Jillian Michaels DVD's I have
    15 How many calories I have left for the day....... then I go on and talk about MFP....
    16. Tell them all about MFP
    17. Tell them how to log food and exercises
    18. How many cals I have left for today
    19. How I love the new scanning feature on mfp
    20. Tell them about my MFP Peeps and how ace and supportive they are
    21. How me and my MFP Peeps do challenges
    22. How easy the site is to use
    23. Where I'd be now if MFP wasnt in my life blah blah blah.....

I could go on and on and on... and I do... in fact, some people only have to say 'Wow Sarah, have you lost wei......' and I'll just jump in and give them the low down! I love it and it only pushes me to continue with this healthier lifestyle..! Cant help it! My bad......

xx
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone asks me, I give a joking/sarcastic response like "1134 lbf". Something completely ridiculous that they can take as a joke, while at the same time letting them know that you're not going to answer that question. I don't know if that's the best way to go about it, but that's what I do...
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I do appreciate the nice compliments from people. Don't you think it's encouraging?!
    Most times, no. I feel like it brings attention to the fact that I was really fat before, as opposed to just being moderately fat now, since I'm no where near goal yet. I do not want to dwell on what I weighed before.
    Really, there's only 4 people whose comments make me feel better. My husband. My mom. And my two close friends. If anyone else says anything, I want to run and hide.

In spite of that, let me say that you look great and I can tell you've lost weight. All the best!

:)
  • laurabarrett79
    laurabarrett79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'll be bruttaly honest and say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! I worked hard to get me where I'm at, damn sure I'm proud of it!! Yeah it does make me blush, esp when a guy says it but otherwise I'm more than happy to tell them...

1. How much I've lost
    2. How long its taken me
    4. How many miles I run
    15 How many calories I have left for the day....... then I go on and talk about MFP....

I could go on and on and on... and I do... in fact, some people only have to say 'Wow Sarah, have you lost wei......' and I'll just jump in and give them the low down! I love it and it only pushes me to continue with this healthier lifestyle..! Cant help it! My bad......

xx

LOl! Love the confidence! I need to take notes from you:flowerforyou:
  • schninie82
    Options

1. How much I've lost
    2. How long its taken me
    4. How many miles I run

xx

I think all of you that dont like the attention should.... The bigger picture is, if you loose weight, PEOPLE ARE going to notice and better still, tell you by asking if you've lost weight cos in their mind, you used to look 'different'... so they ask, knowingly to confirm it in their brain..... no matter what any guy says to a girl, there's always about 10 ways a girl can interpret it....so no guy is EVER going to say it the way you want it in particular to be said.. come on girls, we ARE complex about these things.... hey the guy noticed and paid you the best compliment that could have come out of his mouth, dont beat him down for it, tell him THANK YOU!! Dont be ashamed, you're obviously doing a fab job!! Embrace it lady! xx
  • schninie82
    Options

1. How much I've lost
    2. How long its taken me
    4. How many miles I run

xx

I think all of you that dont like the attention should.... The bigger picture is, if you loose weight, PEOPLE ARE going to notice and better still, tell you by asking if you've lost weight cos in their mind, you used to look 'different'... so they ask, knowingly to confirm it in their brain..... no matter what any guy says to a girl, there's always about 10 ways a girl can interpret it....so no guy is EVER going to say it the way you want it in particular to be said.. come on girls, we ARE complex about these things.... hey the guy noticed and paid you the best compliment that could have come out of his mouth, dont beat him down for it, tell him THANK YOU!! Dont be ashamed, you're obviously doing a fab job!! Embrace it lady! xx

In fact, friend me, I'll get your confidence going!! haha!! X
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options

xx

I think all of you that dont like the attention should.... hey the guy noticed and paid you the best compliment that could have come out of his mouth, dont beat him down for it, tell him THANK YOU!! Dont be ashamed, you're obviously doing a fab job!! Embrace it lady! xx

I agree. It's a great accomplishment. Whether we like the attention or not, our physical beings are out there wherever we go and people are going to notice and comment...or hopefully compliment. Maybe it doesn't always come out the best way. But take it as intended and be gracious. Just smile and say Thank you very much!
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I've ever had this problem -- I wish! But I agree with your husband that you should take it as a compliment and not let it get to you. Some people are as awkward at giving compliments as others are at accepting them. When people want to know how much weight you have lost, maybe you should come up with a standard but vague answer, such as "more than 20 pounds since April" or something like that. Then emphasize your commitment to healthier eating and exercise and how much better you feel. Do take a minute to enjoy your time in the spotlight -- you've earned it!
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you....take it as a compliment, and don't do a disservice to yourself and others by downplaying your accomplishment - it was hard work both physically and mentally to accomplish what you did.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It is a rude, abrasive and not very tactful question. Many times men don't know how to react to something like that, so they just do the bold thing and ask the straightforward question. On average since they are less emotional, if someone were to ask them a question like that, they would answer and not be bothered by it or even think twice. If you ask most men their weight, they will usually just tell you. But, we have to see through the harshness and just see that his intentions were not mean. Intent is usually more important...
    Honestly, I would rather someone notice in that way then to not notice my hard work at all =) And ladies, if we didn't care so much about the number and were more open with our weight or weight we have lost, everyone would stop caring as much anyway, and it would probably put less stress and pressure on us. Usually I tell people how much weight I have lost when they notice. I've never gotten a negative reaction or felt uncomfortable by their responses. I still haven't told my boyfriend how much I weighed when I met him though, and don't plan on doing so until I have reached my goal =)
  • mrsjohnson75
    mrsjohnson75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you took it as a compliment. 32 pounds is quite an accomplishment. U should be proud!

I never have any issues with ppl noticing my weight loss or asking questions.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen to me a lot lately. The only people that know my actual number lost is my mom, sister and my FB pals.
    I've had several people who would never even speak to me otherwise come up and ask me how much weight I've lost. Others ask if I'm sick..
    I usually just respond like you did with "I don't really know."
    Then comes the "what diet are you on?" (they're obviously referring to fad diets)
    Really people...it's NOT a diet for me, it's a LIFESTYLE change.
    I eat less and more healthily. I don't deprive myself of anything, I just watch really closely what I take in.
    And then I am constantly on the move. Since I'm a teacher and I get summer's off. I dont' drive anywhere unless it's to go out of town.

That response apparently doesn't satisfy them...however they do shut up and walk away...lol
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm a Leo, so I LOVE the attention, because in my head, it's always all about me anyways ;)
    (Ok, not really.....alright, maybe a lil bit...hehehe)
    Be proud of your accomplishments, you are doing an awesome job!!!
  • pansypower
    Options
    Wow. Well I think your response was perfect!
  • jocemorg
    jocemorg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!! I HATE being called out or the center of attention. I went to visit my parents the other day and my mom walked in and just shouted, "Well look at YOU skinny girl!" UGHH! Haha. I know she means well, but still. :tongue: I'm still a woman, and it's still my weight we're talking about... or rather *shouldn't* be talking about. :wink:
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I think part of the resentment expressed here is not over the fact that people are noticing you have lost weight, but the corollary here that means they noticed when you were fat.

This is extremely true! My boyfriend once told me during my (still continuing) weight loss journey that 'I was looking really good'. I was upset by this... so I didn't look good before?? He was shocked by my reaction. He said to me he thought I was drop dead gorgeous on our very first date and he was the most nervous he had ever been around anyone. He clarified his statement, that he was very attracted to me the first time we met, and didn't even notice I was over weight, BUT the more I was working out and losing weight the more confident I became. When people are more confident, they do appear more attractive. He also said this: "you think I am good looking now, and are attracted to me now, right? of course I said yes.. "well, if I started lifting heavier weights and more often, and started building more muscle, and became way more confident with myself and I felt sexier, don't you think you would find me sexier and better looking too?"... and of course my answer was yes. When you look at it from that perspective, people aren't pointing out the fact you were FAT and now you aren't, they are just acknowledging the fact you have been working hard and look great! Nothing about their comments means they thought you looked bad (I mean, obviously in most situations people don't, there will always be jerks out there). It is just like what I learned in logic class.. "Tommy lost weight because Tommy was fat. Therefore everyone who looses weight was fat"... false. If someone says "oh wow, how much weight have you lost" does not imply "wow you used to be fat (or fatter, or ugly)". Relish in the fact you look better and feel better, and that people are noticing =)
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    My responses to questions are generally something like this:

Q: have you lost weight?

A: yes, thanks.

Q: How much?

A: Not enough

Q: How did you lose weight?

A: Intentionally

Q: Well yes...but HOW MUCH weight have you lost?

A: No offense, but none of your business
  • Gallinagordita
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! I'm really glad you asked this question. About two years ago my gall bladder was giving up, but for some reason the doctors had a hard time diagnosing it. In six months I lost about 50 pounds living on white bread, jam and root beer as most everything else would make me horribly sick. I couldn't exercise at all because I was so weak and in pain. People were always telling me how great I looked and asking how much I'd lost. I never knew how to respond because I knew I was really sick and unhealthy. :( I just hated it! Now that I gained that 50 pounds back and am hoping to lose it and more, I'm happy to have some ideas for responses. You guys are great!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's just two VERY different personalities at work here! Like the person that listed everything she'd be happy to share and is very grateful for the compliments... I'm much like her and a very "open book" so I often stick my foot in my mouth by making the other personality type - the more private person that doesn't like attention - feel awkward.

I guess there's no way to stop it, but at least try to remember it's probably only with the best of intentions because you DO look amazing!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm a Leo, so I LOVE the attention, because in my head, it's always all about me anyways ;)
    (Ok, not really.....alright, maybe a lil bit...hehehe)
    Be proud of your accomplishments, you are doing an awesome job!!!

Rock on! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!