Turning to food

Options
I'm a teacher in the UK and have been looking forward to the break over the summer. The problem is, I keep turning to food everyday, chocolate mostly, but other sugary things like cakes, ice cream.

It's quite big quantities too. Normally I'd have one treat a day but now it's 2-3.

I think it's psychological and has something to do with the build up to the time off and it's a release / relaxation technique. It might also be a boredom thing because I was busy at the end of term.

I've been looking forward to the summer holiday so much and now I feel like I'm letting myself down with this stupid habit everday.

How can I break this pattern of behaviour?

Replies

• trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I wish I knew what to say!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    fitbrit31 wrote: »
    I'm a teacher in the UK and have been looking forward to the break over the summer. The problem is, I keep turning to food everyday, chocolate mostly, but other sugary things like cakes, ice cream.

It's quite big quantities too. Normally I'd have one treat a day but now it's 2-3.

I think it's psychological and has something to do with the build up to the time off and it's a release / relaxation technique. It might also be a boredom thing because I was busy at the end of term.

I've been looking forward to the summer holiday so much and now I feel like I'm letting myself down with this stupid habit everday.

How can I break this pattern of behaviour?

Turn to exercise instead! It's summer for you ... now's your chance to get out and enjoy yourself. Go on long walks and hikes, ride your bicycle, swim.

Also don't buy the chocolate. I just simply don't have it in the house.
  • Afaye95
    Afaye95 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Whenever you feel the urge to snack on something, drink some water to fill up your stomach or go for a walk. The water really helps me to avoid craving anything. Hope this helps.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The only way to get out of boredom eating for me is to not have the stuff available that I would eat out of boredom. Or, preferably have only things available that need preparation time. No easy to grab and munch snacks. If I don't feel like preparing myself a snack then I can get away with not having one. If I really want something and am not just bored I will do the necessary preparation.
  • fred8o8
    fred8o8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with not having the snack food around makes it easier to not turn to it. I also find myself boredom eating. When I want a snack, I'll wait a couple of minutes to see if I still want something. Most of the time that feeling leaves and I go on with my day.
  • fitbrit31
    fitbrit31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice. It all started with some chocolates I was given from one of the children at the end of term. It seemed to open some sort of flood gates!

I don't keep things in the house but I find myself going on autopilot to the shop. I like the idea of turning to exercise, hopefully if I stick to it for a couple of days the habit will slowly change.

I had every intention to go for walks / jogs while off work but have just done jobs round the house and ate loads of rubbish!

Thank you for your ideas and support, they are really helpful.