New here.. also experiencing Keto flu.

Options
ActiveMinutiae
ActiveMinutiae Posts: 11 Member
edited August 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hey! New to the app. Also, if it is real, which it seems to be, I am in the Keto flu. Usually I push through this kind of thing by myself, but I'm curious to see how many of you are also trying or living Keto. Shoutout to the Keto-goers. Whatever you've got to say will be appreciated!

Replies

• stephanielongordo2017
    Options
    What's Keto flu?
  • ActiveMinutiae
    Options
    I copied and pasted this.

Many people (not everyone!) who start a low carb diet experience what’s called the “keto flu” or the “induction flu” in the first few days while the body is adapting to burning ketones instead of glucose. The basic symptoms are:

headaches
    nausea
    upset stomach
    Lack of mental clarity (brain fog)
    sleepiness
    fatigue

It’s called the “keto flu” for a reason: you feel sick.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto, but when you start keto, you lose a lot of water weight, so you need to replace the sodium your body is losing. Many keto people drink bone broth, or other salty drinks.

There's a keto forum on here. Ask them for help.
  • notluridham
    notluridham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm coming out of the foggy head and headaches with fatigue after about 12 days now. I found Ajino Hondashi Soup Stock and green tea with roasted brown rice really helped my symptoms. The warm liquid really helped my gut too I think.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @annaskiski is correct. You need to keep your electrolytes up. Sodium, potassium and magnesium. I've been low carb 13 years and Keto this year. My hubby and I will actually take Pink Himalayan salt with us on travel and just suck on a small piece every few hours. There is also a product called Electrolyte Supreme by Jigsaw health that is keto friendly, it's like a sugar free Gatorade.
  • ActiveMinutiae
    Options
    Awesome! All great info, thank you.