Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

FitBit pros and cons??

Options
MommaDeQuatre
MommaDeQuatre Posts: 16 Member
I'm wondering about the pros and cons of the Fitbit is it worth it and why. I hate buying extra gadgets that do the same things as others I already have. But I'm interested in the feedback of those how use it currently, worth the hype?

Replies

• sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Well pros is that you do not have to log all the exercise you do because it is done automatically.
    Cons, it also counts the calories your body burns through the whole day and then log that as "exercise" so I had to adjust my calorie goal in mfp accordingly and I have a feeling this is not working out for me.

Also interested in getting one but that does sound annoying. Would you be able to turn off the auto sinc? So that you can just input your steps?
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Its a convenient way to track steps and hr if you're doing steady state cardio. Cal burn is not accurate enough to rely on though ( per http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4426/7/2/3 ). I just do the normal mfp thing of only eating back a percentage of my calories, if I eat back any.

I do, however, find fitness trackers convenient enough to use daily (i've had a fitbit charge, fitbit charge2, and now have an apple watch series 2).
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I have one and do not sync it to mfp. I log exercise separately.
    I find the main benifit is it makes me realize when I need to get moving more.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It depends on what device you are looking into and how serious you are with data review. Need to identify your goals first, then select a device that is best suited to mark progress towards that goal.

I use a Fitbit Flex 2 to monitor my daily steps taken. This also has a movement reminder that buzzes if I don't get in 250 steps each hour.

I use a Polar H7 monitor and associated app to track my performance on run/bike/swim. I take off the Flex 2 during these workouts.
  • MommaDeQuatre
    Options
    Okay thanks I guess I need to do a bit more researching before I'm ready. I like to HIIT with my weight lifting and for cardio I stick with Elipitcal , swimming and horse back riding. A friend also said her Fitbit calculates her sleep cycle in which I'm interested in just for curiosity purposes.
  • DietingMommy2008
    DietingMommy2008 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I def keep it opposite of my myfitnesspal because I like to log my exercise separately to see the actual impact I am having. Also if you have kids, push a stroller, etc it doesn't count your steps because your arm is not swinging and that generally irritates me since I have a toddler.

Otherwise, I use it to make sure I am getting all my steps in each day and it reminds me every hour to get up and moving since I sit at a computer all day for work.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    @Sophie only the newer Fitbit models automatically track anything more than steps. The Fitbit One for example is actually the most accurate one for tracking steps, and it does not have the auto-tracking feature for exercise. So to answer your question, yes.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    IMO they are useful for gathering data that can help you see trends and meet goals. You can see how much activity you've had on a day, a week, months, etc. You can synch it to your phone/MFP and it will make recording exercise a little bit easier. But it's not a magic bullet, it just provides information. The reminders are nice, I guess, like they'll remind you to move every hour or so. If you have friends that use them, you can compete with each other or encourage each other to reach goals. But you can do all that stuff without one as well. I've used one for a few years, I like it, but I think a lot of people expect it to do a lot more for them - that comes from the effort you put in, not the device!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Alta, no HRM, and only use it to track my steps. It keeps me motivated to get up and move throughout the day, and being a petite woman I need to keep my activity level up so I can have a glass of wine every once and awhile :). I have never had a problem with the negative calorie adjustments it syncs. I know some people say they don't accurately count steps, but I'm more concerned with comparing one day to the next rather than what the actual number is, and as I said the calorie adjustment has worked well for me.

Considering my goals, $90ish every 3 years for the reminder and motivation is worth it to me. I don't know anything about HR monitors and what they are worth so I can't comment on that aspect if you are interested in the higher priced ones.
  • aaaaxx
    aaaaxx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Along with other responses, it's great to remind you how few steps you have taken. On a busy day it's inaccurate but on those days you know you've done lots. I found over 2 yrs the best of it is on a lazy day by 5 pm I haven't 7000 steps that would be cleared by 10am on a conscious day. It sinply keeps you aware. Nothing more but nothing more is needed if your determined
  • MommaDeQuatre
    Options
    So it seems that it mostly keeps track of your steps for you?? I do weight lifting and am active through several other means, I guess it would benefit me on my hiking adventures or when I'm walking up and down the orchard?
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fitbit but have used Garmin Vivofit devices over the years. I started with the original and am now using the Vivofit HR+. They have a lot of similarities but I ended up choosing the Vivofit and have been happy enough to return for more functionality.

I find the step tracking motivating. I love the constant heart rate monitoring as it makes tracking my workouts and bike rides/walks a lot easier. I like data and finding trends, and see that analysis as a good way to challenge myself in the future.

I also utilize the clock face, bluetooth audio controls, phone, and weather connections every day. It is also a good quiet alarm. It is nice to be able to decline/take calls subtly during visits, control my music in the shower, check the weather quick before heading out for a walk, and tracking how my sleep and activity patterns have improved.
  • MommaDeQuatre
    Options
    Vivofit seems to do quite a lot I think I'll read up on this thank you!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I recently did alot of research on the fitbits and garmins currently available and got a new tracker. As a fellow rider one thing that always annoyed me was the inability to get my fitbit to not track my ride as me running. I like that with alot of the garmins you can turn activity tracking off so I dont get 15000 steps for going on a trail ride.

I had a fitbit one for many years and used a fr10 gps watch for running. Recently decided to try to find a nice all in one gadget. I found the step based trackers to be pretty decent at estimating daily calorie burns, my weight loss directly reflected the estimates used with mfp and my fitbit one calculations. I tried the vivosmart hrplus and was astounded at the calories it tried to claim I burned. I couldn't get a sync btwn that device and mfp to make any sense, and found the hr sensor very uncomefortable to wear, so decided to return it. From reviews I gather hr calorie overestimates are an issue across hr model trackers, not isolated to garmin. Settled on a garmin fr230 and am happy to have a combo gps watch activity tracker that makes much more sensible calorie predictions.

Ultimately there are alot of options, and alot of reasons to prefer one over another. Think about what you really want from your device, make a list of priorities, and do some comparing. I like the reviews DC Rainmaker (his site also has a comparison tool thats helpful in comparing devices from different brands) and techwear does, but there are tons of other reviews out there too. Good luck!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello,

Well pros is that you do not have to log all the exercise you do because it is done automatically.
    Cons, it also counts the calories your body burns through the whole day and then log that as "exercise" so I had to adjust my calorie goal in mfp accordingly and I have a feeling this is not working out for me.

Not sure what model you experienced this with but if the fitbit device is accurately estimating your calorie burns this should not be a problem. You just have to ensure you have the settings in mfp and fitbit set the same (If mfp has you set to lose 1lb/week and fitbit is set to maintain things get confused)
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the point of a FitBit - wouldn't your cell phone track your steps the same way if you keep it in your pocket? My iPhone does, and then syncs the steps with MFP. I've thought about getting a FitBZit because I like gadgets but it seems like a waste.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I personally like my chest HRM (polar h7) better. I only use it during actual exercise therefore it is very accurate on my calorie burn (nothing is perfect). I let my iPhone health app count my steps in he background and sync that to MFP. That's what I have found works best for me. I think I got my polar on amazon for $60 dollars.